The Bayou Gardener
October 25, 2014, 04:52:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooke 'n Crooke Hoes  (Read 19656 times)
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« on: April 29, 2011, 07:19:45 AM »

The folks from Hooke 'n Crooke is suppose to come by tomorrow to demonstrate they products.  Really looking forward to meeting Randy and his son Scott.  Maybe I can talk them out of a few to give away at the next "Get Together". 

Now I have to go find some grass and weeds for em to take out.   Grin

Donald 

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:28:33 AM »

Wow,  gotta hunt weeds.....hmmmmm

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:14 AM »

yeah..something bad wrong with that comment...LOL...

come on over D...I got plenty... Grin

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
PawPaw gene
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »

Donald you need weeds, come to my house.
"gene"

Tired and Retired and loving it.
 1 hoe, 1 rake, Troybuilt rear tine tiller, 1978 Kubota B7100, 1 chicken tractor, 1 Gravely zero turn.

Houma,LA Zone 9
From the bayou,
"gene"
SaBenDa
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »

Donald,

I am trusting you have the video camera ready for us to review this gadget??

David

David
Covington, La
peachcountyal
Master Gardener

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:36 AM »

I could test that product for the next 2 months, I would pass out with all the weeds I have to work with!  Seems like I drew my rows just to grow grass in!!

Central AL
North of Clanton, AL
Zone 7B
southerngardener
Master Gardener

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:54:38 AM »

found a video by Paul James on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFbof3Ha9ns

South TX - Zone 9a

Kubota L3400; King Cutter II PTO Tiller - 60"; 3pt "Row Builders"; earthway planter
kuhlman187
Master Gardener

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:46 AM »

Just watched the video and since the cheap Lowe's hoe i had broke earlier in the season and i've resorted to hand weeding my garden. Where do i get one of these???

Assassin Bug doing what they do best, assassinating!

Zone: 8/9 - City of Central, LA
10' x 50' garden
Dreaming of a John Deere Subcompact tractor.... one day =)
jwlrymkr
Top Gun

Zone 8a

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »

Yep, I bought one. Very well made tool. The only thing I may do is sharpen it some. The cutting edges aren't real sharp, but it works great overall.

Regards, Ken

Central Texas

The best place to seek God is in a garden.  You can dig for him there.  ~George Bernard Shaw
jimmyneutrontx
Grasshopper

Magnolia, Tx

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »

Anxiously awaiting Donald's review.
Stryker
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »

Never heard of the thing. Got to have it. I will wait for the review from the king of gardening. Grin

North Dakota
Zone 4a
1.5 acres, 3hp troy built tiller, Lawnmower with pull behind trailer
Bodrux

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »

I cannot say enough good about the product.  Everyday when I get home from work, I spend 10 to 15 minutes in the garden or around the yard.  Easy as pie.  The weeds don't stand a chance. 

Zone 9
Nederland, Southeast Texas
Mr Daniel
Top Gun

Congerville IL

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 07:17:28 PM »

Donald, Ya got it made.  Grin

Wheel Horse d-180 ,tiller,field cultivator,harrow sections,IH 800 planter unit with earthway meter.
 Wheel Horse b-80 diesel (under construction)
Wheel Horse 520H (the ditch mower)
JD 110 narrow front, JD gator, Simplicity 707 

www.bluegrassmix.com/

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." -  John Deere
LSU2001
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 04:25:25 AM »

Mr. Donald,
Are you thinking about becoming a dealer?  I want to buy one but if you may become a Dealer, I will wait and buy it from you.
Tim

Kubota L3800
Mahindra 2015
4 ft King Kutter Mower
4 ft King Kutter II Tiller
46 In Troy Built ZTR mower
5 HP Troy Built Rear Tine Tiller
Honda Rancher 4 Wheeler
Polaris 400 Ranger
Zone 9A, Southern Lafourche Parish
Swampfarmer
Top Gun

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 05:00:41 AM »

Donald,

I think you have a built in dealership in the making.  I want one.  Please tell me they are not made in China.

Ralph

I live on 20 acres in the Florida Big Bend, zone 8b.
Equipment: Yanmar 2010 diesel, Stevens Row Hippers, John Deere model 71 planter, Earthway planter, plow, box blade, bush hog, landscape rake, Yanmar tiller but too rocky to use it well, couple of 1960s gravely walk behinds
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 06:32:20 AM »

Tim ... Don't know about being a dealer for em but I may look into it.

Ralph ... That will be my first question, are they made in the USA.

I went around the garden yesterday and found some weeds right next to and between the onions.  If they can take them out without hurting the onion plants I'm sold.  I already know I'm going to like the one with the 16 inch handle, it's going to stay on the "Unit".  When riding around looking for bugs and I see a weed I'll just reach out and remove it without leaving the seat.   Grin   Grin   Grin  Just too easy.

They also have a short hand held one that would be good to work inside the tomatoes cages.

They have first got to pass today's test. 

Donald

Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 06:47:58 AM »

I wouldn't mind trying one of those...but dang sure don't want another nail hanger in da shop...especially for that kind of money...which again, I would need to try before purchase... Grin

I like the root notch...some situations that might be of use to me...but seems it's only of use in one direction...

as for the over all design...I have concerns of it not appearing to be ambidextrous..with the design of the blade, the angle of the neck for the handle in relation to, the angles seems you do this while hoeing that direction, and that going the other...I hoe as much from the right as I do left...and need a hoe that is equal on all perimeters...

other than that, my only other concern, just how well does it hold an edge...if I have to tote a file in my back pocket, well, I don't need it...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 07:25:52 AM »

Cub ... some very good points that I'll make sure to check out.  I'll sharpen my old hoe before I start and it usually holds up pretty well but like you if I have to carry a file in my back pocket I don't want one.

Just got off the phone with Scott, they'll be here in about 30 minutes so we'll see.

Donald

Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 07:34:39 AM »

I do hope it's a very pleasant experance D...!!!

thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »

We had to look hard but we did find some grass and weeds in the onion row.  I got the full demo from Randy and Scott which was very impressive.  The Hooke ‘n Crooke hoes are designed to run about an inch or so under the surface and take out anything in their path.  You can push or pull and it slices through the soil like butter.  There was no weed I could find that they couldn’t remove.  Some were right next to the plants and with a turn of the hoe they could get em out.  The 6 inch model does some quick work.  Scott used the 4 inch model and was able to get in between the plants loosening the soil without damage to the onions.  Randy who prefers the 6 inch hoe did the same job by just turning different ways and slicing.  We soon ran out of grass in the onions so they showed how you can edge a area by pushing straight down on the hoe then sliding and cutting out the roots.

Before the day was over Randy went home with 4 nice Coustralee tomato plants and a bag of “Top Pick” purple hull peas to plant when they get back to New York.  I kept the hoes.   Grin   

Now for the rest of the story:

After they left I took off in the garden (on the Unit) armed with the short handled (16”) and the 4 & 6” models for my test.  When I got to the tomato plants I noticed some small grass coming out around the plants.  The 4” hoe slipped right through the concrete wire and took out all the grass and I loosened the soil at the same time.  Can’t do that with my regular hoe, I have to reach in and pull grass by hand. 

Found a few weeds coming up in the second row of onions so I pulled out the short handled model and took them out from the seat of the Unit.  I found that by just pushing down on the hoe right in front of the weed out it comes. 

Then I rode to the back of the garden and found some NUT GRASS in the G-90 corn I just planted.  Took out the 6 inch model, slide it under and pass the nut grass plants, flipped the hoe and out came roots and all.  I did this with about a dozen more I found and it always got the whole plant.  With my regular hoe is a matter of chopping down below the root and pulling the plant and a chunk of dirt with it. 

Then I went to a row of peas that needed to be replanted.  Grass was coming out inside the furrow and needed to be taken out.  Since it’s so dry here it had formed a top crust that had gotten pretty hard.  I needed to use both hands to break it up so I went got some water in my tank and lightly soaked the top crust.  Pulled out the 6 inch model again and actually pushed it with one hand walking down the row.  It not only took out all the grass but again loosened up the soil so I’ll be able to replant in a couple of days.

I then went to a row of lima beans that had been watered yesterday.  I put the flat side of the crook towards the plant and ran the hoe about an inch or so below the surface, most of the time using just one hand at a slow walk and cleaned about 20 ft. of row in no time.

All I can say is I’m sold on these hoes.  If you decide to order from them tell them where you heard about their products and they may send us some to give away at the next Get Together.

http://www.holdredgeenterprises.com/

I'll have to wait till some more weeds come up to do a video on em.

bolognaringranch
Master Gardener

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »

TOOOO cool Donald.  When you run out of weeds, just send em to me. I promise I'll send em back.  Roll Eyes

Garden maters rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »

sounds good D..!!!

Possum
Top Gun

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »

Donald
 If you had to choose one hoe which one would you go with? 4" or 6"?
Possum

Ford 5600, Cub 140, Kubota B-8200 Orchard and greenhouse on 10 acres in South Louisiana

Click for weather forecast
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »

Yep, Donald,  We could just mail the hoes around the thread like a lending library to see how we like them.  Once they had moved on down the road we would just have to order one or 2.

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
podunk
A Gardener

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 05:43:46 PM »

Hells Bells what do I know? It looks like a hula hoe to me. If it has a razor sharp edge, it just might work. Can't wait to hear the reviews!

8.5 Hp 24" YTD Snow Blower, Mid 70's Cub Cadet 800, Craftsmen 6.25 Mower, Weed Eater 5 Hp Tiller, Rake, Shovel, and 2 Flat Hoes (Chipping Ice) 1 Hoe for the garden...
At this Latitude, We talk about our Snow Blowers Like you Southern Boyz talk about your Tractors. Waterloo, IA
http://www.collisionservices.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: