Author Topic: Sharpening a hoe  (Read 2872 times)

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Sharpening a hoe
« on: July 04, 2016, 07:33:19 PM »
Every hoe I have is sharpened on what I call the outside [the face that is in full contact with the ground]. Can anyone explain why it is sharpened on this side [face]?  In my opinion, this is the wrong side [face]. 

Mule

Offline Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Sharpening a hoe
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 10:06:01 PM »
I agree, I sharpen mine on the inside so they dig and don't slide out of the dirt. In the vice and get out the grinder on any new hoe.

Offline Monroe

• Dirt Dabber
  • From age 13 She has been by my side. Thank you God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:41:48 PM »
I sharpen on the inside then give the outside a few strokes to knock the slight ridge down from the inside sharpening. I don't get a hoe too sharp, the edge won't stay on it. I'm sure here are other ways, that's just mine

Monroe
Jewel & I have had a beautiful journey together

Offline saute86

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9 Lake Charles,LA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »
I do the same and I wish I could get is as sharp as I can get an axe or a shovel.
My hobbies are hunting, fishing, gardening and foraging mushrooms.
I have 27 years experience as a chef.

Offline GopherBroke

• Sprout
  • Half Haas Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »
Mom's hoe is probably older than most forum members and I am charged with keeping it sharp.  We have bought. Numerous hoes over the years that are never as good as "her" hoe so I keep it sharp on the inside.  A couple of years ago I ask her if she wanted to take the hoe with her when her days are over and so it will when she passes.  Won't be no weeds in her part of heaven!
zone 5b Half Haas Farm
Bill
Riley, Indiana for the summer

Online crazyhorse

• Dirt Dabber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 01:46:21 AM »
Either way is good if you keep the hoe sharp.

The reason hoes were sharpened from the ground side years ago when they were used to hoe/thin cotton was because a hoe sharpened from the bottom/ground side would stay sharp longer than a hoe sharpened from the inside.

Back then when the "hoeing time" started a hoe was used all day 5 or 6 days a week for several weeks .
Hoes did not get sharpened every day and they needed to remain sharp for as long as possible.
Hoeing/thinning cotton the hoe was also used to push away grass & unwanted cotton as well as the usual pull stroke.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:52:33 AM by crazyhorse »

Offline confederatemule

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
Thanks fer the replies.

Mule

Offline cappy

• Grasshopper
  • http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
    • Cappy and Pegodys World
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »
You sharpen a hoe just like you do a shovel on the inside at a 17-20 degree angle.  If you are using an angle grinder be careful a hoe is thin and easy to burn through with a grinder.  you should finish the edge with a fine file and as  mentioned only a few light strokes on the bottom to remove any slag.