The Bayou Gardener
September 23, 2014, 09:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anybody recommend a stringless pole green bean?  (Read 911 times)
Kubota John
A Gardener

« on: August 29, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »

I like the blue lakes 274 bush variety stringless green beans. I don't like bending over to pick them. Is there a stringless pole variety green bean similar to the blue lakes 274? I sure do like standing to pick green beans, but I don't like the time it takes to snap 2 ends and pull 2 strings from a mature bean. Gets to be a lot of work in a bushel basket of beans, you know!!!!!

Southwest Ohio Zone 6B
TheOntarioGardener
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »

I like the blue lakes 274 bush variety stringless green beans. I don't like bending over to pick them. Is there a stringless pole variety green bean similar to the blue lakes 274? I sure do like standing to pick green beans, but I don't like the time it takes to snap 2 ends and pull 2 strings from a mature bean. Gets to be a lot of work in a bushel basket of beans, you know!!!!!

Hi John,

I planted Blue Lake pole beans this year and they did pretty well. They are string less, as long as they are picked when they just mature, and not left to get to big. I believe that Donald plants the Blue Lake poles as well and had great success with them.

~Jake
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:00:43 AM by TheOntarioGardener » Logged

Zone 4B, Canada.
Kubota MX5100, Loader, 74" Tiller, 72" Rotary Mower, Middle Buster, Sub Soiler, Auger

www.youtube.com/theontariogardener
DuhDave
Master Gardener

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »

The Blue Lake pole beans do well for me. Also...Kentucky Wonder poles beans...

...IF YOU PICK THEM SMALL...<6" or less are good also. Any bigger than that and they get very stringy.
aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 06:59:50 PM »

gotta go along with everybody else, love the blue lakes.

earl

From a farming family but not a farmer trying to learn now so it can be passed on to my grandsons so they can see what fed our family as far back as I can trace. My wife Michelle and I live in a small rural community of maybe 30 households called smithcreek our only child a daughter Terri lives about a mile away with her husband who is a bee keeper. We have a JD 5105 4wd a 16" double bottom , 5'harrow covington 1 row planter 1 very old bush hog & 1 fairly new bush hog a boom pole & a push plow and plenty of shovels ,rakes,and hoes , and with the exception of the rakes , hoes shovel and push plow we are hoping to know how to use them by this time next year .SMITHCREEK COMMUNITY OF N.W. FLA/APALACHICOLA NAT'L FOREST- GOD'S COUNTRTY!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: