The Bayou Gardener
December 19, 2014, 06:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Build My Own Hiller/Bedder  (Read 7340 times)
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« on: March 03, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »

I really want my own hiller/bedder. I am not sure of the proper term for one. Here are a couple of pictures of what I have to work with. I threw in a picture of my modified plow

I also picked up a couple of tillers that dont run I guess. One is big with big tirse and a little furrow thingie like we were talking about in another thread. The other one is a  little bitty guy with a 3 horse briggs and stratton and tines in front instead of the rear. I am gonna see if I can get them running.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:20:34 AM by MjdTexan » Logged

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government organization.
Between Houston & Humble
Gubmint Weather Radar <-------- Klick
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:22:53 AM »

MJD, I think you have the makings right there in your first pic. Take a look at the link below to get the design if that helps. If you want one just like Donald's, you might see if Stevens Tractor will sell and send you just the gangs without the tool bar, as it looks like you already have the tool bar there.

PS, I need one of those bad boys myself

http://www.everythingattachments.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=bedder&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
5' King Kutter II rototiller
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
disc, 2 bottom plow,cultivator, spreader, blade
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »

MJD, I think you have the makings right there in your first pic. Take a look at the link below to get the design if that helps. If you want one just like Donald's, you might see if Stevens Tractor will sell and send you just the gangs without the tool bar, as it looks like you already have the tool bar there.
PS, I need one of those bad boys myself
http://www.everythingattachments.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=bedder&Search.x=0&Search.y=0
I am new to the tractor world so I dont know much in the way of lingo. What does "gangs" mean? Thank You for the link. I got another tool bar like that one but it has a trailer bar welded to it. I got both of those for free.

I also have a big box of stuff that I dont know what is but is tractor related. Its has tines like I see on cultivators, and just all kinds of stuff. I will photograph it and maybe yall can tell me what it is.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government organization.
Between Houston & Humble
mhpgardener
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »

I just use an old cultivator and replace the 2 inside shanks with the round bedding discs to build the higher hills. If I dont want em too high, I use a smaller turning shank to do the same thing. It was a 2 row cultivator that I cut down to make it no wider than the tractor. That way I could plow the rows beside tall corn, tomato cages, etc. I've got a middle leg that I use as middle buster kinda, just to open a nice furrow that I can put fertilizer into and then build the hill on top. I messed up last year and planted a lot of seed too close to the fertilizer and it didnt go too well.

It is one thing to earn the money to put food on the table, it is yet another to produce the food itself.
Southern Virginia
http://www.youtube.com/user/mhpgardener
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 11:09:44 AM »

MJD,

The gangs are the rotating blades, 3 on each side of Donald's model, that make the hills/ beds. It looks like you have a single hiller disc like Bobby does in the model he made, which would be all you need. If you look at both those videos for the hillers on the Everything attachments site, you will see that the single disc hiller would do fine. I would love to have the same model from Stevens Tractor that Donald has, but budget is a bit tough since I am also buying a tiller within 30 days

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »

Here are a few pictures of the stuff that I have that I dont know what it is

Between Houston & Humble
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »

The last photo is a picture of the plow that I cobbled together. I got the 3 point hitch part off of an old Ford finish mower (I still have the gear box for that), the mold board (is that the right name for that?) is from an old Power King tractor that was not 3 point. The red part is a bar that I bought at TSC

Between Houston & Humble
mhpgardener
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »

Looks like you got most of the parts, just need to work on a configuration. Its hard to tell exactly how they'd fit just from looking at the pics. Do you have a welder?

It is one thing to earn the money to put food on the table, it is yet another to produce the food itself.
Southern Virginia
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:16 PM »

Looks like you got most of the parts, just need to work on a configuration. Its hard to tell exactly how they'd fit just from looking at the pics. Do you have a welder?

I dont know what most of that stuff is. Yes, I do have a welder but guess what? I dont know how to stick weld. Its a  Gas Powered Hobart/Generator that I got when Hurricane Rita was supposed to blow us away a few years ago and everybody made a run on generators. I couldnt find a normal generator or generator welder combo anywhere around there and had to drive to Henderson Texas to get this one. I am gonna get me a hood and some rods and give it a try though. I learned to mig weld when I took two years of Auto Collision at the Junior College. I think I can pick it up. I am sure a grinder would be my friend.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 12:53:34 PM by MjdTexan » Logged

Between Houston & Humble
mhpgardener
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »

Thats a real nice "generator" ya got there, lol. I've got a 225 Miller Bobcat. All ya need is some leads, rods, gloves, and a helmet. I dont have any welding training, but I've done ok I think. I bought the welder to weld hitches back on mobile homes so we could repo them. The last one that I paid for, the guy charged me $500 to weld 2 hitches on a doublewide. Pissed me off royally and I swore I would never pay like that again. An old guy that I helped out from time to time knew I was looking for a welder and found mine for $1500....can't remember how many hours are on it, but it would burn a rod in a hurry. So I started welding the hitches back on myself, and never had one fall in the highway! Just get some scrap iron and practice, you'll enjoy it.

Edit: Make sure you get an auto darkening helmet. They are so much easier to work with.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:12:30 PM by mhpgardener » Logged

Southern Virginia
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 01:36:20 PM »

Thats a real nice "generator" ya got there, lol. I've got a 225 Miller Bobcat. All ya need is some leads, rods, gloves, and a helmet. I dont have any welding training, but I've done ok I think. I bought the welder to weld hitches back on mobile homes so we could repo them. The last one that I paid for, the guy charged me $500 to weld 2 hitches on a doublewide. Pissed me off royally and I swore I would never pay like that again. An old guy that I helped out from time to time knew I was looking for a welder and found mine for $1500....can't remember how many hours are on it, but it would burn a rod in a hurry. So I started welding the hitches back on myself, and never had one fall in the highway! Just get some scrap iron and practice, you'll enjoy it.

Edit: Make sure you get an auto darkening helmet. They are so much easier to work with.

I am with ya on that auto darkening helmet. I've seen those used. I remember when mig welding that the split second that you move the helmet down to weld you could sometimes get "lost". I am gonna do it. I have a short lead but I suspect that its not a good idea to weld right there at the machine so I am going to go buy some extensions.

Between Houston & Humble
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

Santa Cause...

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »

mjd...I would get me some 1 1/4" OD pipe and weld those onto the hiller shanks. Just slip 'em over and weld 'em up. Make two square/retangular plates in which 4 holes per plate was drilled to accept "U" bolts to hold the now round hillers shanks. Then weld the plates to that 3pt frame. Round hiller shanks are highly and quickly adjustable. There ya go...easliy made and the cost of 4 U bolts is pretty dang cheap...

The hillers like mhp posted are 1 1/4" IH style, their round shanks are what ya after...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:13:26 PM by Cubman » Logged

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 02:49:55 PM »

MJD,

like Cubby says for cost of some bolts and a few welding rods, you have everything you need for about $10 to make your own hipper/bedder, good luck and show us what you come up with!

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »

I am gonna do that. I found some welding lead extensions for my welder at Northern Tool. Mine are real short and I want to get further away from that loud machine while welding. I am also going to look at other hillers/bedders and see If I can make this a multi tool somehow. Maybe make a cultivator too or something like that.

Between Houston & Humble
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

Merry Chrithmuth!

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »

This is basically what Cub was talking about.  This is a mount by Stevens Tractor on their Hipper Assenblies.  Easy to make.  This one also has angle adjustments.  Just 3 more holes.

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8a

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

Santa Cause...

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 03:24:58 PM »

Yup..that be nice T...be a little something extra with hillers..

mjd...here's a photo of my setup...would be better than welding the mounting plate to the frame...then you'd have more versatility than 36" rows so to say..

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »

This is basically what Cub was talking about.  This is a mount by Stevens Tractor on their Hipper Assenblies.  Easy to make.  This one also has angle adjustments.  Just 3 more holes.

Ok, those look easy. Thank You

Mjd,
 Go to a welding supply store, purchase  the size rods you want to use, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32. I wouldn't go any bigger than the 5/32 as it is really hard on that particular generator to run bigger. When purchasing the ods get an assortment of 6012,  6013, and also a package of 7018 (thiis rod is the one you want to use when assembling the hiller). The 6012 and 6013 are general purpose rods, the 7018 is a High Tensile Strength rod. Practice with the other rods first til you get the hang of making a good bead, after making a bead, CHIP the slag off before attempting another bead, this rule goes for any type rod you are going to use.When you get proficient with making a bead, then try a 7018, you'll discover that after breaking the arc and trying to get it started again will be tough to do UNLESS you first expose the end of the rod(knock the slag off the end to expose bare metal that is flush with the coating on the rod). And when welding the hiller, position the piece so that you are welding flat down on a horizontal plane, until you get to the point that you can weld out of position.
  Just don't get discouraged if you "stick" the rod a few times, it takes time or experience to get the hang of it, as most welding rods of today are more or less weld by themselves, all you have to do is guide  the rod to where you want the metal to pile up. If you don't have one already, I woud invest in an Auto -darkening hood, makes it a lot simpler to see where the rod end is before striking the arc so as to make sure you are on the right crack. Hope this helps some.
Thats what I am going to do. I did need to know which rods to get, Thank You.

Between Houston & Humble
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »

Yup..that be nice T...be a little something extra with hillers..

mjd...here's a photo of my setup...would be better than welding the mounting plate to the frame...then you'd have more versatility than 36" rows so to say..

OH, Now I get it.  I just thought I got it. Ok. Those are eggzactly what I need right there. Thats the real deal right there. Heck with those you can use the tool bar for more that one thing. Still gonna practice me some welding though. I have this equipment and its kinda dumb on my part for not knowing how to use that welder. I obviously have equipment that I need to maintain.

Thank Yall All. Now thats one piece of work that is going to be easier due to having a hiller/bedder. Which one is it, a hiller or a bedder┐

Between Houston & Humble
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »

Mjd, also make it a habit to keep Sta-Bil mixed in with the gasoline to keep the gasoline from breaking down to a gooey mess that will plug up everything in the fuel system. Those smaller generators are lot more susceptable to gumming as they are not in use as much as any other piece of equipment.

I already use the stabil. I also start this generator every other week and I make sure to run something on it that requires electricity. Just to be sure all is working. It dont have many hours on it. I am huge on stuff like that. I get people bringing me small equimpent like riding lawn mowers and push mowers that no longer run. Most time I clean the carb out and it runs. I got those two tillers today that way. He wanted that stuff out of his garage. I wasnt working, he wanted a new one. I will post pictures of them tomorrow.

Between Houston & Humble
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 05:41:39 AM »

Mjd,
 Look at the tires on that Ariens tiller, the tread is backwards, someone has switched sides  with the wheels at some time or another.

I wouldnt have caught that. Thank You. That tiller is going to see some wrenches today. I have to see why I can get the tine clutch to engage

Between Houston & Humble
MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »

I am having trouble finding 5/16 thick 2 inch wide, 3 inch (or a little longer) long, square backed u-bolts here in Houston.

Between Houston & Humble
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

Santa Cause...

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 04:18:20 PM »

get some threaded bolt rod and shape like ya need...heat, bend, hammer...whatever works...it'll do OK in a pinch until you locate what your after...

MjdTexan
Top Gun

BBQ MASTER

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »

get some threaded bolt rod and shape like ya need...heat, bend, hammer...whatever works...it'll do OK in a pinch until you locate what your after...
Thats a good idea.

Between Houston & Humble
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »

Mjd ... Give Stevens Tractor a call, they may be able to help you with the u-bolts.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
dlajaunie
A Gardener

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 10:19:35 PM »

Try google, and search for trailer spring U bolts, they  are square.  or if there is a trailer dealer in your area, he should be able to help you.

Daryll

South Central Louisiana
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: