The Bayou Gardener
October 30, 2014, 11:12:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stand -N- Plant seeder (hand single seeder)  (Read 1585 times)
James150
Master Gardener

« on: August 16, 2011, 06:21:37 AM »

Hi,  I just bought one of these with the profits from this year to make planting easier next year:
http://www.standnplant.com/seeder.htm
I have a JAG planter but found that replacing seeds that did not germinate left me bending and stooping and sore.  The Stand N Plant should solve this problem.  I know I could have made something similar myself but these folks are farmers trying to make a living and I'd like to support them.  I'll let you know how I like it!
Regards,

Jim

John Deere 2720, loader, mower, 5' tiller, 5' gyro, 5' box scraper, 1 row cultivator, 1 row hipper, middle buster,  Rokon MotorTractor, 5 Gallons of sweat. and now . . .1999 Massey Ferguson 1255.   May 2014 1948 Allis Chalmers Model G.

Faith grows flowers, I grow stuff to EAT!

Click for weather forecast
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:30:54 AM »

A very simple design and easy to make at home if you don't want to buy one.    Wink

It looks like a much better plant transplanter than a seeder.  I would have to try it though to be sure.   Grin

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

James150
Master Gardener

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 06:40:26 AM »

A very simple design and easy to make at home if you don't want to buy one.    Wink

It looks like a much better plant transplanter than a seeder.  I would have to try it though to be sure.   Grin

I'm hoping it will work for seeds and small transplants like onion sets (appears to on the website).  I have a Hatfield Transplanter but my primary use will be filling in where seeds failed to germinate. 

Regards,

Jim

John Deere 2720, loader, mower, 5' tiller, 5' gyro, 5' box scraper, 1 row cultivator, 1 row hipper, middle buster,  Rokon MotorTractor, 5 Gallons of sweat. and now . . .1999 Massey Ferguson 1255.   May 2014 1948 Allis Chalmers Model G.

Faith grows flowers, I grow stuff to EAT!

robie robinson
Master Gardener

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »

I hsnd milk s cow each day and can still imagine sore hands.

robie, ingenious idea though
ashlogcreek
Top Gun

Ashlogcreek@aol.com

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »

I just make a trench, and use a piece of 1" pvc to drop the seed(s) in with. I have an old concrete rake 2' wide and just drag it down the row to cover seeds. Add a spray of water and it's ready.

Zone 8-A  LS R3039w/fel, Prefert 5.5' combo disk, United 5.5' box blade, Tru Flo seed/fert. spreader, middlebuster, assorted walk behind equip.
TheOntarioGardener
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »

Looks like it would work, however it is a bit pricey.

For my money, which is something I may do next year, is to just use some pvc pipe. It may take a little longer but will be a lot easier on the back.

~Jake

Zone 4B, Canada.
Kubota MX5100, Loader, 74" Tiller, 72" Rotary Mower, Middle Buster, Sub Soiler, Auger

www.youtube.com/theontariogardener
davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »

I got one awhile back, works ok for big seeds I done watermelons, cantaloupe, and squash with it. Anything to keep from bending over is a plus.. Also got one of Poke-a-lot Planter that the jar screws on the end havent tried it yet...

http://www.morgancountyseeds.com/homegardentools.html

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:10:38 PM by davidjrtx » Logged

Massey Ferguson 231, Nolt's RB-448 Mulch Layer, Countyline Tiller 6', Leinbach 60" Bedder, Earthway Seeder, Hatfield Transplanter, Countyline Middlebuster, Countyline Subsoiler, Countyline Cultivator, Rhino 60

Willis, Tx
richardbragg
Master Gardener

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

I don't bend over so well anymore, and the wind was blowing my seed out of the furrow.  Got a piece of 3/4" pvc glued on a bell reducer for 1 1/2" pipe, and it worked fine.  Just drag it down the middle and drop the seed at the right spacing.  Little slow and awkward at first, but soon got the hang of it.  Now I am waiting for my Jang seeder to be delivered tomorrow.  It should make things a lot quicker and eaiser.
Winterhawk

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »

I have both stand-n -plant units, love them. The pvc one does a great job of planting onion plants, am going to try it on onion sets this fall. The other I have planted everything with this year, even potatoes.
cropduster1968
Master Gardener

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:02:38 PM »

I have a stand-and-planter it is the best money I have spent in a long time

zone 9 close to hell but great in the winter ;>)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: