The Bayou Gardener
October 26, 2014, 12:39:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bi-Color Corn - Everyone around here calls it Peaches n Cream  (Read 1055 times)
wordman077
A Gardener

« on: July 26, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

Seems like everyone around here calls any bi-color sweet corn Peaches n Cream.  Does that happen elsewhere?

We have several people selling Peaches n Cream sweet corn, but they are not the same.  When I ask what variety one fellow said it was Ambrosia (sp?) but he advertises it as Peaches n Cream. Huh?

Is that the acceptable name for any bi-color?

Utica, KY - zone 6 - Western KY
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:17 PM »

Not in my mind..... I grow a bi-color called G90. There are lots of bicolor corn out there and only one Peaches and Cream as far as I know. I'm not sure how critically important that would be to you, but I'd get my corn somewhere else. Somewhere that I would know what type I'm growing. But then, we don't know how often this really could be happening elsewhere too! You make the call~!  Huh?

Curtis

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
wordman077
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »

SETEX I agree.  

How tall does the G90 plants get?  

The reason I ask is there is another fellow who advertises Peaches n Cream, but his plants are only about 5ft tall, if that.  

The Peaches n Cream (Southern States) that I raised in the past had 6-61/2 ft tall plants.  

Someone else told me they thought he was raising G90.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:25:22 PM by wordman077 » Logged

Utica, KY - zone 6 - Western KY
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:45 PM »

Not in my mind..... I grow a bi-color called G90. There are lots of bicolor corn out there and only one Peaches and Cream as far as I know. I'm not sure how critically important that would be to you, but I'd get my corn somewhere else. Somewhere that I would know what type I'm growing. But then, we don't know how often this really could be happening elsewhere too! You make the call~!  Huh?

Curtis

I buy my hybrid corn seed like Merit, Kandy and Peaches 'n Cream from a feed dealer that has been here for over 40 years.  This year I planted Merit and got something that I have no idea what it was.  I just know it wasn't Merit.  Point is that any feed dealer can either get wrong seed or have an employee tag it wrong.  It is a real shame when that happens because the poor gardener (me!) winds up wasting a spring growing an unknown crop.   Huh?

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 05:59:31 AM »

Wordman, my G90 was between 6 and 7 feet tall this spring! You can't always judge by the height as weather conditions many times inhibit the height of the plants.  I, like Tbird, have planted seeds that I knew were not what I supposedly purchased. It's a bit frustrating, but happens.

Curtis

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
sawfiddle
A Gardener

Roll Tide

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:24:00 AM »

I can vouch that there ain't not one ear of corn that ever tasted better than bi-color "Xtra Tender 2170".

New Hope, Al 35760
USDA Zone 7b
Bluegrass Fiddler and Jack of All Trades
Roll Tide
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: