The Bayou Gardener
October 24, 2014, 07:44:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New question on pickled okra...well on other things too. ANYBODY????  (Read 1244 times)
Trophybucks
A Gardener

« on: July 12, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

;DI canned me some okra and during the water bath the okra shot up to the top and some of it was out of the water...bout an inch worth...had it packed so tight it was busting when pushed in... any way my question is, is it ok to eat the part that came up out of the liquid or does it make it no good.    I mean this stuff is going to be sitting out for months and then opened and the whole time part of the okra will be exposed out of the liquid....curious about this question for beans and pickled cukes also...

THANX!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:17:18 PM by Trophybucks » Logged

Zone 7a/7b  right on the line!
Charlie
A Gardener

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »

Hi, You might try poking a couple holes in each pod, that way the pickling juices can get in, and they might not float to the top. They are not solid, inside, so they have air bubbles in them that may not come out, therefore causing them to float. Just my opinion, as I haven't pickled any yet, but hope to soon.  Good luck!

Charlie

Northeast Arkansas
Trophybucks
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:51:17 PM »

Hi, You might try poking a couple holes in each pod, that way the pickling juices can get in, and they might not float to the top. They are not solid, inside, so they have air bubbles in them that may not come out, therefore causing them to float. Just my opinion, as I haven't pickled any yet, but hope to soon.  Good luck!

Charlie
Good thought!   I am still curious if you can eat the ones that are stuck up out of the liquid....ANYONE?

davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:33:50 PM »

I had a few that where sticking up out of it after removing a couple okra the liquid drops. I eat them all winter long and dint get sick...

Massey Ferguson 231, Nolt's RB-448 Mulch Layer, Countyline Tiller 6', Leinbach 60" Bedder, Earthway Seeder, Hatfield Transplanter, Countyline Middlebuster, Countyline Subsoiler, Countyline Cultivator, Rhino 60

Willis, Tx
bigcountry1009
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »

Mine do the same, but they seem to soak up the brine.  Didn't have any trouble last year.

Clinton, SC
Zone 7a
Husqvarna rear tine tiller and hand tools, plus my wife and babies
Looking to make grocery store trips a memory
Trophybucks
A Gardener

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:15:03 PM »

Mine do the same, but they seem to soak up the brine.  Didn't have any trouble last year.
good to hear!  Thanks!

coonneck
A Gardener

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:42:04 AM »

Remember the whole idea of putting the jars in the water is to create a vacume in the jar. So by doing so the the "air" in the jar is void of oxygen so the bacteria can not live in the jar. Now once the seal is broken and the oxygen is introduced into the jar then the bacteria can invade the okra. So the moral of the story is once the jar is opened then you need to keep it in the frige and eat it in a resonable amount of time.
Trophybucks
A Gardener

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »

Remember the whole idea of putting the jars in the water is to create a vacume in the jar. So by doing so the the "air" in the jar is void of oxygen so the bacteria can not live in the jar. Now once the seal is broken and the oxygen is introduced into the jar then the bacteria can invade the okra. So the moral of the story is once the jar is opened then you need to keep it in the frige and eat it in a resonable amount of time.
thats true...good response, thanx!

cherylsdelights

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

Yes, I always eat mine and they "float" to the top.  What i do to make ME feel better is flip the jars and let them sit upside down for a few weeks.  I have no idea if it helps but it give me a warm fuzzy.  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: