The Bayou Gardener
November 26, 2014, 11:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presto -vs- All American Pressure Canner  (Read 7879 times)
knyquol
Top Gun

« on: June 30, 2011, 09:41:47 AM »

To those of you that have used both types which do you like better( use/experiance wise) I've read the specs on both and I do have a 21 qt presto but I want to get a second smaller one(10 quart) I would prefer the USA made but the 100$ difference is what's giving me pause so please let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:53:17 AM by knyquol » Logged

Click for Hancock, Michigan Forecast" height="90" width="160 Zone 5b
brokenwing
Grasshopper

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »

I do not have the usa canner, but i have canned alot with my 16qt presto.  Like i said i can not compare apples to oranges, but for the price, i think the presto can not be beat.  I have done peaches, corn, pickles, grean beans, and all sorts of jam in my presto canner and i Love it, plus it saved me from spending high dollar.
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »

My old Presto was a good canner.  i used it until this year when i bought the AA.  The gasket,though not old would not seal no matter what i did to it.

I do have to say i love the All American.  It is a fabulous piece of equipment.

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
crazygardener
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »

I have a presto and a mirror, and if I had the money, I would replace them both for an AA.  Both are good canners, but an AA is like the top of the line. 

crazy

bkwoods
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:14:14 AM »

I have a presto and it does a good job. I bought it to get me started in canning. I knew it was on the small side but I also wanted it to cook with also. I am going to get a larger AA canner. The presto for smaller canning jobs and AA for larger. 

Ridgeville, SC zone 8a
ccfromnc
A Gardener

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »

I also have a Presto and really like it... Easy to use and big enough for a small garden 20 x 40 and a few raised beds.

Smack in the middle of NC    Zone 7

20x50 row garden, 100 sq ft raised beds, fruit orchard. 
Nigerian Dwarf goats
Retired 2011 - Life doesn't get any better than this
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »

I view the All American as an investment, expensive “yes” but trouble free.  Going clean mine out now for the next project.

Donald 

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
crazygardener
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »

Next project?Huh? Donald?Huh? is there a new  video in the works?Huh?Huh?  awwww come on you know you want to play with the new camera...... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

crazy

thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »

I think it's going to be purple hull peas going in the next batch.

Donald

Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 12:28:52 AM »

I have done right at 300 pints and 80 quarts in my Presto 16 Qt. and am happy with it.  A friend bought one, had it two years and didn't use it so he gave it to me last year so now I have two.  They are not made as heavy as the AA but if you don't drop them they will last quite a while.  BTW I already bought an extra gasket just in case it has a problem,  but so far it is perfect.  I think canner life is in the hands of the owner.  A person that can kill a Presto will also kill an AA although it may take a bit longer.  The AA is the Cadillac of canners,  but Cadillacs wind up in junk yards also. All it takes is the wrong kind of accident.   

Clean your canner well after each use, don't drop it, never beat anything along the top of the canner including a wooden spoon, DO NOT ever let it go dry under heat, do not overfill it, Do Not use with a pressure burner that concentrates the flame in one spot like a single orifice gas burner,  dry it after you wash it, let it air out a bit before putting away and best of all use the "Donald Ducote" method of storing the pressure weight (if needed), and other canning utensils in the canner so they won't get lost.   Wink

Take care of it and even the Presto will outlast you.   Wink

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
bkwoods
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 06:32:53 PM »

Well said Tbird

Ridgeville, SC zone 8a
WAB
Top Gun

Eastern South Carolina - Zone 8a

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 08:23:57 AM »

I have 3 Presto canning pots and they have worked just fine. The problem I have is the sealing ring and top lock. After a while, the seals wont seal and that is a PITA!!!! Then you have to stop canning until you get another seal. That is why I like my AlllAmerican Canner. NO SEALS!!!!! It is also easier to keep the pressure at the correct spot(I assume because of the jiggler). It seems to heat up "smoother" and cool "smoother" unlike the Presto canners which you really have to watch to keep the pressure steady.

As Tbird says: "The AA is the Cadillac of canners,  but Cadillacs wind up in junk yards also. "

The AA Canner has to be taken care of just like any other canner. My opinion; It is better made and you cannot beat the quality.

WAB

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
----  Robert H. Heinlein
knyquol
Top Gun

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 09:04:27 AM »

Thanks everyone for the great advice Smiley Still have some thinking to do  but I do have a better idea.  thanks!

Click for Hancock, Michigan Forecast" height="90" width="160 Zone 5b
PawPaw gene
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »

Another option in canners is the old National line of cast aluminum pots. Some were sold by Sears under their name and I'm sure there are others. A couple of years ago I bought a second hand one on ebay with all the parts for 20 dollars which include shipping. The parts for all of these are still available on line and also for most others like Preste, and Mirro. Do a google search for "pressure cooker parts".  Mine is 40 years old and all I had to do was replace the gasket about 5 years ago. So check ebay for deals or antique stores or flea markets. You never know what you'll find.
"gene"

Tired and Retired and loving it.
 1 hoe, 1 rake, Troybuilt rear tine tiller, 1978 Kubota B7100, 1 chicken tractor, 1 Gravely zero turn.

Houma,LA Zone 9
From the bayou,
"gene"
reartinetiller
Top Gun

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »

Take my Wife, but don't mess with my Presto Canner!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roy

Cub Cadet GT1554, Troy Bilt reartine tiller, Troy Bilt two cyle tiller, Earthway planter, Brush mower,two dogs and a lovely wife with a hoe who knows how to use it.

Central Illinois Zone 5
cornbread
Top Gun

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »

A question forms a newbie what is the "Donald Ducote" method of storing the pressure weight?

Yawl be nice I am just a Alabama boy.
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

I store the weight inside the canner along with the racks and the jar of instant gasket.

Donald

nuggethound
Master Gardener

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 05:54:41 PM »

Hey Donald,
I ran across this older post of yours and was wondering what you use for the instant gasket?

Jerry

I store the weight inside the canner along with the racks and the jar of instant gasket.

Donald

TroyBilt tiller, rake, shovel, Earthway planter.
Planting zone 7b or 8a (depending on where you find it!)
South Carolina

LakeRat1
Top Gun

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »

We have 2 canners, both 16 qt, 1 is a Presto & the other is a Mirro, the Mirrow was bought back in the 70s the Presto some time about then also, there is no telling how many 1000 jars have passed between these 2 cookers, I don't know how many time the gasket & safety seal have been changed, not many, i change them about 2 years ago, to me the Mirrow is easer to use then the Presto, the Presto does not have a Jiggler weight like the Mirro, the Presto has a Gauge you hav to watch, where the Mirro is 3 different pressure setting on the weight, we have always done as Donald, when finished with the pot, clean & dry, the store everything that goes with the pot inside,

If any of you make Hog Head Cheese, these cookers will sure speed up the making, when making sausage fromoston Butts, i save all the Blade Bones, then put them in the cookers with water, salt & pepper, pressure up to 10# for 30 Min, let cool down, the bones are clean like driff wood, all the meat that cooks off becomes Hog Head Cheese, The Bride says its Butt Cheese>< LOL

LakeRat1

North East Concordia Parish / Lake St John
biigblueyes
Grasshopper

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »

Went to a friend's house today and had hogshead cheese made in a pressure cooker.  Good stuff!  Even if it IS Butt Cheese! Grin

My yarden and I lean a little to the wild side.
farmgirl62
A Gardener

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 04:48:29 AM »

got an All American recently, love it compared to the Presto.  Everything seals everytime!!  Now I just have to take out a bank loan to start stocking up on jars!!  I bought about 6 cases after Katrina and canned the bit of food we still had in the freezer (we always let the freezer get a little bare in the summer-eating more veggies).  I've finally about run through all of them and need new ones...but wow, have they gone up!!!  Keep telling myself, this is an investment for the future!!

Candy
homeschool mom to 2 children
surrogate mom to pigs, goats, cows, chickens, horse, one goose and one turkey
combination gardener-square foot, organic, love experimenting with new veggies and fruit
musician and newbie farmer
elvia
Top Gun

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »

I just bought a AA 921 last month.  Gonna can some turnips next week.

Troy bilt jr. Troy Bilt Horse, 70's Kubota L1500DT 4 wheel drive.  John Deere 647 tiller Stevens Tractor Row Hipper.  48 citrus trees. 16 fruit trees.
2.2 acres in Marrero

SherryB
Top Gun

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »

canning jars are ridiculous in price.  Although the grocery store is certainly not the cheapest place, it's the store I'm in most often.  So, I've started trying to put one box of jars in the grocery cart and count them as groceries! Smiley  I don't notice the price so much when I just close my eyes and then look at the total grocery bill.  It's all hidden in there somewhere! 
Pjames
Top Gun

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 04:51:52 PM »

I have 6 or 8 cases of jars and don't even own a canner....yet. Guess I'll have to order one online. None of the local stores have one I like.

Shreveport, La

small backyard organic gardener using home-made compost and vermi-castings,

Life is like a jar of jalapenos.....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »

This is a good time of the year to look for canning bargains on ebay.

MS Coast
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: