The Bayou Gardener
October 21, 2014, 08:09:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sway control on 3 Point  (Read 4173 times)
Jay
Grasshopper

« on: June 08, 2011, 12:51:52 PM »

There is probably a simple answer to this, but..........

Are there attachments that will help control the horizontal sway of my 3 point hitch?

Jay

Ford 4000 diesel                     New Holland Square Baler
6' Bush Hog                            Ford 501 Syclebar Mower
7' 3pt Scraper                         IH  5 bar hayrake
10' Ford Wheel Disc                 Troybuilt Horse Tiller
2  3 bottom plows                    Troybuilt Wood Splitter attachment
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »

I take it your lift arms don't have stablizers...?

http://mower-blades.agrisupply.com/search#w=stabilizer&asug=stab

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
Jay
Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

Nope.

Where do the stabalizers attach too.  Axle?  And what type are best?  Adjustable bars, chain type?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:59:01 PM by Jay » Logged

WAB
Top Gun

Eastern South Carolina - Zone 8a

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:41:47 PM »

Jay,
      Here are pics of my stablizers on my Kubota B7510.

Back View

Top View

The turnbuckle (one on either side) is how you adjust the 3pt hitch

Hope this helps.

WAB

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
----  Robert H. Heinlein
Okielee
A Gardener

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »

There are a set of chains that hang from the top link to the lift arms that can be bought for about $35 to keep the depth and sway under control. Not quite as good as a solid sway bar, but it works. My sway bars are on the outside of the lift arms, and have pins that slide in to lock them in place. almost all tractors older than 65 didn't have sway bars. They were added on by the owners if needed. One sway bar is all you realy need but it looks better with two.

picture of my 8n swaybar, there are two but I only put one on for the picture, and usually only run one on the tractor anyways.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:49:54 AM by Okielee » Logged

THE SOUTHERN TEN COMMANDMENTS This is much easier to remember !!! (1) Just one God. (2) Put nothin' before God.( 3) Watch yer mouth....(4) Git yourself to Sunday meetin'. (5) Honor yer Ma & Pa. (6) No killin'. (7) No foolin' around with another feller's gal. (Cool Don't take what ain't yorn. (9) No tellin' tales or gossipin'. (10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff. Now that's plain an' simple. And bless your little cotton pickin heart.
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 04:26:26 PM »

Jay ... don't know what kind of tractor you have but if you can get the sway bars get those.  Quicker and easier to adjust.  I've had both.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
Jay
Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 04:27:01 PM »

OK    Went out to the farm and checked out the tractor.  There is a set of short chains, non adjustable on the inside of the lift arms.  But my lift arms still move from left to right quite a bit.  I want them to be centered and stay in place.  There are a set of brackets on the rear axle.  Looks like they could hold an adjustable stabilizer bar, and the distance from the hole where the chains are attached to the lift arms, is 16 inches.  Can I put stabilizers on the outside of the lift arms?  And would this help the lift arms from swinging back and forth?

If I think out it I will get some pictures when I go the next time.

WAB  Looking at your pictures, do your lift arms swing back and forth?  Or do you have the turn buckles tightened so that they work against each other to keep everything centered and not sway?  My setup has chains where your turnbuckles are, and have slack.  Thus, I think that is why my lift arms (and quick hitch) swings back and forth.
Also, would it be better to have the stabilizers on the inside, or the outside?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:52:25 PM by Jay » Logged

WAB
Top Gun

Eastern South Carolina - Zone 8a

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »

Jay,
     I should have taken a pic showing the quick hitch which stays on my tractor all the time. I have the turn buckles adjusted so that the hitch is centered and they pull against each other so the arms have no sideways movement.

WAB

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
----  Robert H. Heinlein
Okielee
A Gardener

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »

Here is a picture of my new holland sway bar

You remove the pin and the swaybar is free to move for hooking up implements, then repin to center.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:26:23 PM by Okielee » Logged

THE SOUTHERN TEN COMMANDMENTS This is much easier to remember !!! (1) Just one God. (2) Put nothin' before God.( 3) Watch yer mouth....(4) Git yourself to Sunday meetin'. (5) Honor yer Ma & Pa. (6) No killin'. (7) No foolin' around with another feller's gal. (Cool Don't take what ain't yorn. (9) No tellin' tales or gossipin'. (10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff. Now that's plain an' simple. And bless your little cotton pickin heart.
newbie57
Master Gardener

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »

I always run with just one sway bar. Makes a big difference though.
Buddy

Byron, Ga.
Ford 2000 Tractor, One Row Covington Planter,  Boom Pole, Disk Harrow, Gravely Lawn Tractor, Front Tine Tiller, Small Garden Tiller , Earthway Planter, 5ft. Rotary Cutter and Cultivator.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: