The Bayou Gardener
November 28, 2014, 04:54:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering cylinder on a Kubota BX2200  (Read 4156 times)
Cgull
A Gardener

« on: June 06, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »

My steering went out on my Kubota BX2200. It started giving me some problems last year but now I have no steering at all. Researching the problem on the net it looks like I need a new steering cylinder. Does anyone have any experience replacing the steering cylinder on a BX2200? Can you give any words of advice?

SW Florida - Gone Fishing  ><)))0>
Zone 10a
Okielee
A Gardener

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »

well, nobody is answering.
I just changed the steering cyl on my john deere 455, the only problem I had was reclocking the hydraulic lines so they didnt get pinched when turning. trick was to not tighten the fittings all the way untill you get everything set. My cyl was not rebuildable so it cost me $235.00 for a new one plus tax. (they said mine was not a tractor in oklahoma so no farm tax discount) I didn't have to pull the deck off mine, so it was pretty strait up remove and replace. Hope yours is the same.
I was looking at some posts for the bx2200 on line, seems like they have a history of steering problems before the 2002 models.
Something to do with poor machining of the cyl. ram if I read it right. looks like a pricey repair for Kubota to do it.

Here's one of the final posts

A happy ending for my tractor.

The parts came last Tuesday (FedEx), but I didn't have time to work on it until Friday evening/Saturday. I decided to follow the workshop manual instructions. Got the left hydraulic line off fine, couldn't get a wrench on the right side. So I removed the tie-rod nuts off, and (as predicted by pcmem), the right side came off fine, and the left wouldn't budge. Block of wood and a hammer---no luck. Finally gave it a rap or two with the hammer directly (after lots of wrestling and tugging), and it popped right out. Once I removed the brackets holding the cylinder to the frame, I could get the second hydraulic line off.

The tie rods were easily removed from the cylinder with large wrenches. Snap rings were removed too. I removed the hydraulic fittings from the old cylinder, and cleaned them (they had teflon tape on them) and put them on the new cylinder. Replaced snap rings, put tie rods back on, and hooked up lines quickly. Ran engine to check for leaks (none! ). Put everything back in place.

Steering is great again. It was probably about 2 - 2 1/2 hour job for me. I've had very limited experience working on tractors and cars, so this was a relatively good experience!

Thanks for the advice and tips, everyone!!!

Jim
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:58:23 PM by Okielee » Logged

THE SOUTHERN TEN COMMANDMENTS This is much easier to remember !!! (1) Just one God. (2) Put nothin' before God.( 3) Watch yer mouth....(4) Git yourself to Sunday meetin'. (5) Honor yer Ma & Pa. (6) No killin'. (7) No foolin' around with another feller's gal. (Cool Don't take what ain't yorn. (9) No tellin' tales or gossipin'. (10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff. Now that's plain an' simple. And bless your little cotton pickin heart.
Cgull
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 03:38:45 PM »

Thanks for the info.

When it started giving me problems last year I spoke with the Kubota dealership and they said it was anywhere from a $600 - $700 repair. I don't want to spend that kind of money so I'll try it myself. Looking at it, it don't look like it would be to hard to replace, its just tight getting to the hydraulic lines.

SW Florida - Gone Fishing  ><)))0>
Zone 10a
bordercollie
Top Gun

sw Madison county, central Mississippi

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »

Cgull and All, I have a Kubota RTV  with 3879 hours  that I use every day on the cattle farm and figured out real quick that I would need to do my own repairs when possible or else I would be in the poor house as much as I use it. I just saved $700 by replacing my own rear u joints (4 back there) on it over the dealer. I also saved $300 by  replacing my cooling fan with an aftermarket one by flex lite. The engines are great on the Kubota line though.  If you are planning on repairing the cylinder yourself, then there is a good "do it yourself ". article on this website with good pictures too .   http://hubpages.com/hub/Hydraulic-System-Repairs-How-to-Rebuild-or-Repair-Hydraulic-Cylinders      Good Luck,    judy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 05:12:26 AM by bordercollie » Logged

southwest Madison County, Central Mississippi   (out from Jackson)
Zone 8A
kbota
A Gardener

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »

I know this thread is old, but FWIW, I was told on Friday that Kubota had a recall on the steering system on the BX2200.   I have not verified this, but learned it from a guy who sold me his BX.  He had paid for steering repairs only to learn later about the recall later.

K

Kbota, Love the woods and hills in Central Louisiana
Retiring soon - sometime in 2012.
L3010, KingKutter 5' Tiller, middle buster, 5' JD bushhog, 5' Woods finish mower, Hippers, cultivators, Bushhog rollover boxblade, homemade grader blade, and post hole digger (9").
Troybilt horse 7hp, Honda mini tiller, and a gardenway seeder.
Oldiron
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

See if there is an independent hydraulic shop in your area. If it is rebuildable an independent shop will usually be able to beat a dealer. Doing it yourself can be a problem if you don't have the right tools. It's easy to cut the new seals.

I worked for a Yale forklift dealer years back and have rebuilt a few cylinders along the way. 

" An expert is somebody who has killed at least 10,000 plants" Bob Webster. I ain't there yet but I'm workin' on it!

A few miles north of San Antonio Texas

John Deere LA115
Western Auto Atlas front tine tiller
Shovels, forks, hoes, and other implements of destruction
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: