The Bayou Gardener
October 31, 2014, 07:15:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cypress/Cedar Mulch: Keeps Bugs Away?  (Read 4571 times)
gatrapper
A Gardener

« on: May 26, 2011, 06:04:09 AM »

For years I have thought that cedar and cypress mulches will help keep bugs away.  I have used it in my homes islands and around the house instead of pine or other junk because I don't want any mulch to hold termites.

I spoke to a gentleman yesterday who said that its a bunch of junk and if it was true then why isn't marketed as "bug free"?

So whats true?  Does cedar and cypress mulches keep out termites and other bugs or is the guy right?
jwlrymkr
Top Gun

Zone 8a

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »

I can't speak for the cypress, but I know we have PLENTY of cedar trees around here full of ticks, ants and other creepy crawlies.

Regards, Ken

Central Texas

The best place to seek God is in a garden.  You can dig for him there.  ~George Bernard Shaw
gatrapper
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 06:34:49 AM »

I bet bugs are on the tree, but why would folks line closets with cedar to keep bugs out if it didn't work?

I want something that will keep termites out and I have never seen termites eat at cedar or cypress.  I have farmers tell me that all the time and thats why they have cedar fence posts.
corl
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:47:02 AM »

We get locust fence posts that last 30 years but they decay too with bugs. Cedar log homes are not advertised as termite proof. The carpenter bees sure love my cypress sheds.

Dave
SE, Pa  USDA Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Tweet  @nunamakerfarms
www.facebook.com/NunamakerFarmsLLC

Kubota MX5100 HST tractor with loader 42.5 PTO hp
Kubota F2100 with 60" mower deck and snow plow
Phoenix 74 in rototiller
middle buster
Troybilt pony rototiller
Earthway planter
Ted's Garden Bedder GB70
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:53:17 AM »

red cedar lined closets were mainly used to mask odors due to mildew back in the day...some claimed moths also, but, seems I recall all da old Ladies also had moth balls in conjunction with...why the moth balls if the cedar was doing the job...?

guess alot of that went by da wayside with A/C... Grin

I keep red cedar shavings in the dog house for odor controll...can't say it repells all insects for there always seems to be some critter in there at clean out time...

but come to think of it...I don't recall ever seeing a termite infested piece of red cedar...

and yes, da 'ol timers here also used red cedar for fence posts...was about the best source they had for slowing rot back in the day, here anyway...long before treated wood came along...many times the "heart" of the posts was still strong after 40-50 yrs...

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: