The Bayou Gardener
September 01, 2014, 06:50:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I now know why Farmall Cubs went out of production.  (Read 5373 times)
WAB
Top Gun

Eastern South Carolina - Zone 8a

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »

This is the best orange tractor around. Sweetest running little tractor.

I have had it 5 years and have 126hrs on it.

WAB

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
----  Robert H. Heinlein
whiskydog
Top Gun

Its Spring SomeWhere !!!

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »

Well old Fords are the only thing I know, I can fix them up and use them.  Most of the time you can find one cheaper than a new riding lawn mower. I have 4 of them so most of the time parts are in the barn to replace one that breaks. Just finished my tractor transmission project and I am happy with it now.  the 4 speed transmission had a bad bearing in it, instead of replacing the bearing I put in a 5 speed in it.  It slowed the tractor down and now I believe its slow enough to get a tiller for it.. I have one field of clay and it sure could use a tiller to break it up right.. It took me two days figuring out how to turn the 640 into a 850
ford but it works.. Frankinstein Tractor from Georgia.

Al

To be a gardener, you must learn to dance to the music nature plays.  I'm doing the jerk and the monkey to a waltz right now..  Not unusual for me. 

Dallas, Georgia    zone 7
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 03:53:58 PM »

whiskeydog,

Glad to hear you got your tractor back together.

I'll bet you're like Geroge Peppard's charactor Hannabal Smith in the old A Team TV show.

Remember he used to say, "I love it when a plan comes together." Grin
whiskydog
Top Gun

Its Spring SomeWhere !!!

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »

B, I took it out this afternoon and cultivated with it,  It was slow enough that i could watch the plows and get

them down deep or shallow as needed.  Henry made his fords to travel as fast as a mule could plow.  Thats

a little fast for me on these curves I plant, and my peppers and eggplants aren't very tall yet.   I''ve had this

old tractor about 4 years now, rebuilt the engine when I got it. It would bog in a pull and no matter what I

did to the governor didn't help. The transmission was bad all along.  No noise or problems with it till now.

The plan finally came together.  the transmission came from Dads' old tractor. He loved to farm. 

To be a gardener, you must learn to dance to the music nature plays.  I'm doing the jerk and the monkey to a waltz right now..  Not unusual for me. 

Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 04:32:49 AM »

Whiskeydog,

I have often wished that International had put a 4 speed tramsmission in the Farmall Cubs. There are a lot of times I could use that lower gear. I can throttle down (kind of sound like a Shuttle launch, but they throttle up Grin), but sometimes you don't have the required power then.

Sounds as though they tried to solve that with the IH 274. I don't know where I was in those days I have never seen one. Oh yeah, that was the seven during the 7 years I was away from home. I was in South Louisianna where all I saw in most of my travels was the big sugarcane equipment.

Maybe I could find one of those IH 274 before I get too old. I wonder how many of those they produced and if they will ever come the way of the old Farmalls.
Gator809
Grasshopper

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »

They did make a Cub with a 4 speed transmission, It's called a  A -Super A -100-130-140.

The IH 274 and the later Case 265 weren't produced in Large numbers, and most of them are still on the farm working.

The Super A doesn't actually have a lower first gear, but with twice the power in a package only slightly bigger, you can lug it down better than a Cub. Actually it was first, and the Cub was made to be a smaller cheaper alternative to replace a team of mules after WWII.

Later

Hank

Stoney
A Gardener

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 03:58:20 AM »

Just east of where I live was bigtime tobacco country until the govt. Started buying up all of the allotment. Anyway, tobacco country was Where tons of farmall A's and the series that followed were sold. You can still ride around and see them stashed under old tobacco barns about anywhere you go. My uncle ran the IH dealership here and sold literally thousands of these tractors. When IH came out with the 274 they were already well on their way into bankruptcy. Lots of folks bought those tractors only to go back and buy the 140's that they traded in back. I know my uncle cussed the 274 from the time they started selling them until they went out of business.

Farmall 140 with cultivators, Cub Cadet Tank zero turn mower, BCS 14" rear tine tiller, Brand new hoe.
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 04:29:52 AM »

Stoney,

You ought to go around and pick up some of those old tractors. Restore and sell if you could or do as one guy I know is doing. He rides the countryside looking for just what you mentioned. He buys them and sells them for scrap. Sad He's apparently doing real well at it he bought a wrecker mainly for the old cars, but I'm sure he uses it on the tractors also. He told me he found a running Cub for $50. It didnít get scrapped he turned around and sold it, for what I donít know.

In this part of the country guys have ads and signs everywhere for buying junk cars. They tell me scrap steel prices are high.

Just an example: A couple of weeks back I replaced a kitchen sink for some friends I have worked for in the past. They live in a swanky subdivision on the lake type of deal. I told the wife I would haul the old sink home for them and put it out on the road for the county to pick up and that it would be gone by sundown.

It didn't happen it took about two days. Why you might ask. I made the mistake of putting it in the new sink's box and dragging box and all out on the ground. I was going to add some stuff to it. They couldn't see the sink in the box and finally some scrap hauler decided to investigate and left the box for the county. It wasn't even a cast iron sink. It was a thin steel skin over about a ľĒ molded plastic.

Remember thereís money in scrap. Grin
whiskydog
Top Gun

Its Spring SomeWhere !!!

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:09 AM »

I have folks stopping by here asking for scrap iron.  I do have some, but after I gave some away I figured

I am not working now either and maybe I better keep some back for hard times.  One of the farmers I

know had a mower stolen out of his field.  You know it went for scrap, no telling what it was worth to the

farmer.

robie robinson
Master Gardener

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 06:07:44 AM »

Stoney,

Why did your uncle cuss the IH 274? ie. do you know if they werebad tractors?

Thanks,Robie
taylorlambert
Master Gardener

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 08:15:38 AM »

Two more modern offset tractors are the Kubota 245  Which I want badly.   Its got super low gears int it.   ANd the JD HC900.     A dealer near here  had a 245 with a tool bar  Hiller bedder set up.     SOmeone bought it from FLorida.        Both tractors  had  cultivators that looked like the  IH set up to the T.            both had rear 3 points  and the front hydraulics even had power down.

Ford and  Oliver both had offset tractors to.       The thing I hated about my Cb when Dad had it was that he used to come home from work and  Want to mow with the CUb at a friends beagle club.     It was my job to pull the  cultivators off and put the mower on.     It wasnt the WOods mower either.     It was the old CUb clipper and  it was almost as heavy as the cub lol.   THen after 3 hours mowing then  we changed it back.      When I was 15 I welded a set of ramps on the mower to drive over it to attach.

WHen I bought it  a man came by and wanted it for his mowing tractor.     He had a nice Cub  pick up disc  I traded  in about 3 seconds.  It was the best trade ever  I had a second one I got in a load of implements and I made a side mower from it lol.
Stoney
A Gardener

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »

Robie, yeah the 274 had a lot of problems. It would be fine for what we're doing with a garden but they had trouble holding up doing real full time farm work. I know they had alot of problems with the final drives and clutch.

Farmall 140 with cultivators, Cub Cadet Tank zero turn mower, BCS 14" rear tine tiller, Brand new hoe.
MAYOR
Top Gun

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 05:37:20 AM »

You guys are hittin me pretty hard on my farmalls!!! Wink  However....I'm 47 so I still hafta change out stuff a few more years before I get tired of it and buy something new with a quickhitch and loader.

The only thing I can say about the old farmalls is this......they are powerful for they're size.....and......when something does go wrong, which is seldom, I can usually fix it right there in the field in a short time with basic tools!.

Lets go back 50 years and try this again.....maybe we can get it right this time!.
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 03:20:00 AM »

mayor,

I'll tell you like I told hot pepper, enjoy those last few years, but keep an eye out for that replacement. Grin

Your right about the old farmalls. The one I got has been around here almost 40 years. The engine has been rebuilt twice in those 40 years. One shortly after my dad got it and I did the last one 21 years ago. It did have a few slack and some no activity years, after I got my little Kubota and I wasn't gardening. We brought it out of mothballs about four years ago. Something had gone bad in the transmission and I had a Lowboy 154 I couldn't sell so, I decided to part it out on Ebay and we put it's transmission in my Cub. That's all she needed. Maybe a few ignition parts replaced and we were ready.

You just can't kill them. I remember on the last rebuild my dad took the block to an automotive machine shop and it needed boring. I went with him to pick it up and the man told us it could be bored one more time and go back with nominal diameter sleeves. So, I guess if it doesn't freeze and crack the block or sling a rod it will be like the old Timex watch. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

I would imagine that they could be classified as some of the best mass produced, good old American products. They are up there with the Colt 1911 45 ACP, The Browning Auto 5, BAR, 30 cal. machine gun, 50 cal machine gun and if I recall the old Winchester lever action rifles, all John Browning's designs. I'm sure I missed a few.

Imagine what we would have today if Browning had been in farm machinery.

Back to my original post. I mentioned that the Cub was a young manís tractor and thatís my story and Iím sticking to it. Grin
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »

Donald
 Orange is good ,but did you forget that the old UC and WC Allis Chalmers were also orange? I donít know if you remember those but they had hand brakes on each rear wheel. After a day on one of those %$#^% you were plum worn out. I love my cub when I think about the Allis Chalmers days.
Possum

First off you aren't comparing apples there. The hand brake Bs where made long before a Cub was even thought of. Later Allis' had everything Farmall had and more, especially when it came to power.
With that said the Cub is a decent tractor but the trick is to have one for each implement and just leave it on. I had Cubs for years and last year made the switch to Allis. Got rid of every last Cub, nothing bad to say just think Allis made a little better mousetrap for its day.
One thing to remember about old tractors, don't buy one and try to make it like a newer one. You'll only end in dissappointment. Use it for what it was intended and you'll be a happy camper. If you need more capabilty then buy a new tractor.

Amanda,OH
farmerdave?
Grasshopper

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 06:17:22 AM »

One thing my grampa's Ford 4000 had that my 3000 dont, is one of his lift arms had a ring to pull and the end would come out an extra 4-6" to help with hooking a 3 point tool. I would love that option as its tough horseing the implement a little or jumping back on the tractor to move 2".

Couple of acres top of the hill NE PA. Old Ford diesel,bushhog,pivot blade scraper, posthole digger, this and that.
WAB
Top Gun

Eastern South Carolina - Zone 8a

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »

One thing my grampa's Ford 4000 had that my 3000 dont, is one of his lift arms had a ring to pull and the end would come out an extra 4-6" to help with hooking a 3 point tool. I would love that option as its tough horseing the implement a little or jumping back on the tractor to move 2".

Thats why I bought the quickhitch. Some of the best money I ever spent!!!

WAB

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
----  Robert H. Heinlein
BarryJenkins

Loving the outdoors!

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »

I agree with Gator about how they last so long they just quit making them. Just like that little Mitsubishi mighty max truck. They would go and go and go. I've still got the one I bought 20 years ago this year and it's still rolling. Granted I don't drive it much, it has 125,000 miles on it, but you get the point. The first tractor I drove, at age 7, was a farmall, then a Ford 2000. Both used for tobacco, beans, and planting corn. Both are still going!!

I live in Lexington, NC. That's right, I live in BBQ country. I do all my planting with a rear tine tiller and a hoe. I do plant in rows with a furrow cause it holds more moisture. This area can get dry quickly.  I'm saving up for a tractor to draw rows. Hey Donald, if you read this, thankyou for your encouraging videos!

Husqvarna rear tine tiller
Craftsman riding mower with attachments
Saving up for used compact tractor
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »

That Mitsubishi might not have lasted as long if it were up here in the rust belt. Nothing survives our winters with salt put down for nearly 6mos of the year.
If it doesn't rust away almost anything can be fixed repeatedly and last for a long time.

Amanda,OH
Cartoad
A Gardener

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »

AllisCA, I'm curious about how much salt is used on highways in your area.  Here, in a normal year, we put down about 4.5 tons per lane/mile.

Don in the Salt Lake City area, Zone 6a -b.
MAYOR
Top Gun

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 11:10:48 AM »

Lets see here.......Brandly new tractor complete with automatic back scratcher.........30K plus.

One 52 Super M
One 47 M
One Cub
3 Cub Cadets made by IH
Plows, Discs, Drag, Harrows, Cultivators, blades, bush hog, etc etc. etc...................$2568.00   for everything so far.

I guess I'll just keep twisting bolts too change things!   Wink

Lets go back 50 years and try this again.....maybe we can get it right this time!.
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:46 PM »

Now Mayor...... you can't possibly compare 60+yr old tractors to anything even remotely new. 10K will buy you a heck of a lot of tractor used that would be 10xs your lineup altogether. My friends tried to convince me for 15yrs yrs to off load all the old and get one modern tractor. I finally did it and I gotta say they were right. I still keep some old around to play with but my world is worlds away from were I was with only antiques. So I think a healthy mix of old and new is best.

Amanda,OH
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: