The Bayou Gardener
July 22, 2014, 04:52:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running okra or Climbing Okra  (Read 2716 times)
LittleJohn_NC
A Gardener

« on: May 13, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »

I got some seeds from a fellow gardener today and he call it running okra.  The climbing okra (Luffa acutangula) offers a double bounty of bright, fragrant flowers and delicious fruit, but it isn't really an okra at all-in fact, it's kin to the common cucumber.
  Just wondering if any of you have grown it ? Im kinda interest in how it taste.

LittleJohn_NC
Zone 7a
Lilesville NC

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill
2010 National Champs
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »

i have and what i grew was actually a member of the gourd family....i love the stuff but you had better have plenty of room....damn stuff grew up the poles and down the poles and across the ditch into a pasture where my neighbors goats would eat it and thats the truth....i have a master gardner friend who planted some a few  years ago and it ran up a powerpole guidewire all the way to the powerline before he cut off....it is good,battered and deep fried.....if you have a fence around your gardem,plant it on the fencerow....don't plant it in a small space....i think this stuff originated from another solar system....it is delicious though
LittleJohn_NC
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

Thanks 2010 National Champs
I got plenty of room. I think Ill plant some in the kudzu see if it will smother it out .... Grin
Never heard of it till today. I got place for it near my beehives. This will be interesting to grow and eat ... Grin

LittleJohn_NC
Zone 7a
Lilesville NC

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill
crazygardener
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »

I grow lufa, but let it get mature, then dry it nad take the lufa out, let it dry.  I then put it in a round 3" pvc mold, and pour soap all over it, through it.  When soap is solid, I unmold it and cut it into round slices.  It makes a great scrubby for bathing.

crazy

ps. I have heard of it being eating when young and tender.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: