The Bayou Gardener
October 25, 2014, 09:41:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mold in mini greenhouse, really?  (Read 3114 times)
Emily
Grasshopper

« on: April 23, 2011, 01:49:40 AM »

I wasnt sure if this was a topic for the normal board or not, but it just has to do with one of those tiny jiffy pot greenhouses.

I looked at my seedlings today (about 4-5 days after planting, my chinese broccoli had started to come up) and I see a bit of mold starting to grow on a few of those... soil pucks you add water to. Thats a bit frustrating because I didnt think dirt like that could even have mold spores contained within it. I guess what this boils down to is - Is there anything I can do to stop/curb the mold growth? And how can mold grow from those little dehydrated soil circle things, if anyone can answer that tone.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 02:00:29 AM by Emily » Logged

Living in Ontario for University, working a garden in a friends backyard heh. Zone 2a - borderline b
Mr Daniel
Top Gun

Congerville IL

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:03:56 PM »

Em, I think mold spores are just in the air and grow where conditions are right.  I remember several of the other folks on here treated the soil with peroxide.  Here's on thread that mentions it.  Also apperently there is differant concentrations because, I think it was Tutti got some at Wall Mart and it wasn't as effective. http://thebayougardener.com/smf/index.php?topic=5949.msg62963;topicseen#msg62963

Wheel Horse d-180 ,tiller,field cultivator,harrow sections,IH 800 planter unit with earthway meter.
 Wheel Horse b-80 diesel (under construction)
Wheel Horse 520H (the ditch mower)
JD 110 narrow front, JD gator, Simplicity 707 

www.bluegrassmix.com/

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." -  John Deere
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:19:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum Emily.  Normally the drugstore stuff works fine and I just got a bad batch that time.  There are hundreds of different molds and most will become airborne but are harmless.  Hydrogen Peroxide is a mild antiseptic and also carries oxygen to the roots.  It will help kill off pathogens, molds and fungus.  One of the worst problems we have is when young seedlings "damp off" at the soil line and just keel over.  It's caused by a fungus that's promoted by over watering.  The peroxide is a good preventive and I use it to initially wet my starting media and until the seedlings get going real well.  I eyeball mine at about 1/3 cup in a gallon jug of water.  I like to bottom water with it and also keep some in a spray bottle.  I got this idea from some experienced gardeners and have been using it for several years with better results.

MS Coast
Emily
Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:13:36 AM »

Thank you so much for the replies guys. I think it was probably a case of overwaterng + a lack of air circulation (They really dont mean ofr that  jiffy thing to be a proper 'Greenhouse' and I dont think I'll be using it again next time). This year I dont have a really great set up (Second year gardening so I havent made myself a really nice indoor area to start my seeds with a grow light and such). next year hopefully I'll be in a better place, and I'll be able to just plant then in small pots or cups or something. I just really didnt have much room this year so I tried to take a shortcut by using the jiffy thing. I guess thats the problems with cutting corners though heh.

I'll definitly be stopping at a drugstore within hte next few days to pick up a bottle of eroxide. I was thinking of watering them with some diluted chamomille tea, as I heard thats supposed to be a natural fungicide as well. Really I've just been trying to air them out after I discovered the problem.

Living in Ontario for University, working a garden in a friends backyard heh. Zone 2a - borderline b
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »

I've also heard of the camomille solution and also cinnamon sprinkled on the soil is supposed to be a fungicide.  I haven't tried either one since the peroxide is so easy for me.

MS Coast
Emily
Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »

I just went ahead and tried the tea solution becasue I didnt happen to have any peroxide when I looked in the house yesterday when I noticed the problem. Hopefully i'll be able to stop by one within the next little bit and pick some up.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: