The Bayou Gardener
April 23, 2014, 01:29:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Used Covington Planters  (Read 4304 times)
bcarlton8

« on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:44 PM »

I have wanted a Covington Planter but have not been able to justify the cost of a new one row TP 46, at approximately $1,350, to plant a garden that is less than 1 acre in size.  I am only going to use the planter to plant southern peas and green beans.  Good used planters are typically priced at $700 plus.

I found two planters for sale on craiglist priced at $300.   They were planters only, not mounted on a cultivator and did not have fertilizer distributors.  I have my own cultivator and can fertilize by hand.
I think I can sell the other planter I am not going to use for $150.00, as I only need one.

The planter has a speedex planter attachment that has two seedhoppers and two plates.  The planter was utilized to plant peanuts and has 16 cell planter plates.   There is a 12 tooth sprocket attached to the planter and a 6 tooth sprocket attached to the press wheel.  I started thinking I had messed up because I thought I was going to have to buy additional sprockets and get pea planter plates (approximately $37 each).   I stared thinking about it and looked at Covington's Distance Charts and found that by reversing the sprockets, I could get the desired distance (spacing) for planting peas and beans, and that the 16 cell peanut plate was adequate to plant the peas.  I have bought the parts to attach the planter to the cultivator, bought some chain, and a shovel attachment to open the row.   Allocating $150 to the planter, $150 for parts and another $50 in transportation charges, I have $350 invested and am ready to plant.

Mr Daniel
Top Gun

Congerville IL

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »

Cool,  any pics?

Wheel Horse d-180 ,tiller,field cultivator,harrow sections,IH 800 planter unit with earthway meter.
 Wheel Horse b-80 diesel (under construction)
Wheel Horse 520H (the ditch mower)
JD 110 narrow front, JD gator, Simplicity 707 

www.bluegrassmix.com/

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." -  John Deere
DB
Top Gun

zone 8b

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »

That sounds like a good deal to me! I would have jumped on that too, Bcarlton.
And welcome to the forum!

DB

Vancleave, Ms
zone 8b
jwlrymkr
Top Gun

Zone 8a

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »

My dad scored one at the local flea market a few years ago for like $50.00 with all the plates! Back when my garden area was bigger, I got to borrow it. Sure was handy, but I had to make room for the chickens and it cut my garden area by 1/2.

Regards, Ken

Central Texas

The best place to seek God is in a garden.  You can dig for him there.  ~George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: