The Bayou Gardener
September 01, 2014, 11:32:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Farmers Almanac for Planting and Cultivation Dates  (Read 1680 times)
bamadoug
Top Gun

« on: December 18, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »

I'm curious as to how many of you use the almanac to determine when to seed, plant and cultivate?

Southeast Alabama (Daleville), Zone 8A
MF 240,Ford Disk, Countyline Cultivator, Keulavator w/hillers attached, Countyline Middlebuster, Earthway Planter, Howse Rotary Cutter, Howse bottom plow, BushHog Box Blade, Howse Landscape Rake, 3 pt CarryAll with 50 gal water tank, 3 pt slip scoop
aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:06 AM »

i try to use it as much as possible for no other reason than thats the way my Granddaddy done it and if he ever had a bad crop i dont remember it and we never had a year we didnt fill the freezers and the cubbards. course Grandaddy grew up farming and farmed until the depression when he had a chance to go to work with either the ccc or wpa , he never went back to the farm but tended one crop or another year round for the rest of his life , had a heart attack behind a push plow after i had pleaded with him to call me or my brother or a cousin when he needed us. sad thing is he had the power equipment to do the work , he just prefered the push plow and always wanted a burro that would pull a plow.

earl

From a farming family but not a farmer trying to learn now so it can be passed on to my grandsons so they can see what fed our family as far back as I can trace. My wife Michelle and I live in a small rural community of maybe 30 households called smithcreek our only child a daughter Terri lives about a mile away with her husband who is a bee keeper. We have a JD 5105 4wd a 16" double bottom , 5'harrow covington 1 row planter 1 very old bush hog & 1 fairly new bush hog a boom pole & a push plow and plenty of shovels ,rakes,and hoes , and with the exception of the rakes , hoes shovel and push plow we are hoping to know how to use them by this time next year .SMITHCREEK COMMUNITY OF N.W. FLA/APALACHICOLA NAT'L FOREST- GOD'S COUNTRTY!!
Boggy
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:40:26 AM »

100% of the time.....although, you do HAVE to go "against" it, occassionally, due to weather, sickness and other things that are out of one's control.

In the VERY southeast corner of the backwards state of Alabama
"Pretended holiness is merely double wickedness".....Thomas Watson
whiskydog
Top Gun

Its Spring SomeWhere !!!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »

I used to say I planted by a sign, the sign was a big rain cloud heading my way.  Fall 09 was a total failure

for me.  This year I remembered what grandpa used to say.  If ya want big turnips plant on the full moon of

Aug. I planted the whole fall garden about that time and even though we had a long dry spell we had one of

the best fall gardens I ever had.  I was out there pulling rutabagas today, and there are still beets

cabbage carrot onion collards and a few sugar snap peas still holding on.  I am going to pay more

attention to the signs from now on.  Yes, Sir.

To be a gardener, you must learn to dance to the music nature plays.  I'm doing the jerk and the monkey to a waltz right now..  Not unusual for me. 

Dallas, Georgia    zone 7
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 09:10:29 AM »

I just use chickens bones, dice, a green hickory twig and a finely polished rock...da polished rock being key here... Grin

almost forgot...if for fall planting...use all bones but the back and neck bones... Grin
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:14:47 AM by Cubman » Logged

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
whiskydog
Top Gun

Its Spring SomeWhere !!!

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 09:13:49 AM »

Cub,  What no lucky ferret foot?  I might know where ya could get one..

To be a gardener, you must learn to dance to the music nature plays.  I'm doing the jerk and the monkey to a waltz right now..  Not unusual for me. 

Dallas, Georgia    zone 7
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »

Grin

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
Okielee
A Gardener

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »

checking my Almanac to see if it has chicken bones listed. LOL

THE SOUTHERN TEN COMMANDMENTS This is much easier to remember !!! (1) Just one God. (2) Put nothin' before God.( 3) Watch yer mouth....(4) Git yourself to Sunday meetin'. (5) Honor yer Ma & Pa. (6) No killin'. (7) No foolin' around with another feller's gal. (Cool Don't take what ain't yorn. (9) No tellin' tales or gossipin'. (10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff. Now that's plain an' simple. And bless your little cotton pickin heart.
bigboberta
Top Gun

Happy Gardening

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »

I use the Old Farmers Almanac  Moon Favorable dates and also LSU AGCenter recommendations.  Most all times they fall within range, can't complain.

Bob

Greensburg (Easleyville) St. Helena Parish, LA
2 1/2 Acres

Zone 8a or 8b now.
Retired Firefighter

1952 35 HP Gas Allis Chalmer  WD ,    2008 Mahindra 3525 35 HP Diesel, 
2011 Land Master LM 400 Utility Vehicle,  John Deere 42" Riding Lawn Mower, 50" Exmark Zero Turn Mower, Woods RD60 5' Finish Mower.

Stevens Garden Package,  Stevens Deluxe Row Hippers, County Line Middle Buster, 6 1/2' United Tandem Disc Harrow , United Dirt scoop 30", 6' County Line Tiller.

Earthway 1001-b Precision Seeder with 1500 side dress attachment,  Hatfield Planter, Hoss Wheeled Hoe and Planter. Stand n Plant Seeder, Stand n Plant Planter.
bamadoug
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:16 PM »

Barring any bad weather or other unfavorable conditions, I think I will try it this spring. Adjusting my planting calendar now and will keep records for evaluation. (Got to reduce my gardening fever some how).
Thanks for the feedback.

Southeast Alabama (Daleville), Zone 8A
MF 240,Ford Disk, Countyline Cultivator, Keulavator w/hillers attached, Countyline Middlebuster, Earthway Planter, Howse Rotary Cutter, Howse bottom plow, BushHog Box Blade, Howse Landscape Rake, 3 pt CarryAll with 50 gal water tank, 3 pt slip scoop
Dragonfly
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

I might look at the almanac but if all else is favorable...like moisture, temp, time....I plant regardless of the almanac suggestion.

Jennings, LA (Zone 8b-9a) Retired Research Engineer [Getting use to it]
Kubota L3240, 5' Bushog, 5' KingKutter II tiller, Homemade Hipper & Middlebuster, cultivator, 50 gal sprayer
IH Farmall
Top Gun

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 03:36:46 PM »

I try to follow the Almanac but sometimes the weather and work schedule just doesn't allow me to be 100% accurate.

Tim

Tim (Redneck Rescue Ranger)
Lewisburg, Mississippi
Zone 7b
1954 Farmall Super C
1952 Farmall Cub
2010 Mahindra 2816 with FEL
2011 Kubota BX2360 with 60" deck
Craftsman 17 inch rear tine tiller
5 foot Big-Bee Finish Mower; 5 foot Kodiak rotary cutter; 4 foot United box blade, 4ft 12x16 disk harrow;
4 foot Sicma tiller; 14 inch County Line Middle Buster,
Single row cultivator with bedder attachment; 4 foot spike tooth drag harrow
Allis Chalmers Planter
Earthway Planter; Boom pole
30 gallon spray rig; 300 pound spreader/seeder
ColeAnthony
Master Gardener

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

Cubby made me laugh so hard I shot milk out my nostrils...and I wasnt even drinking milk...

"Pick a man any man. That man there. See him, That man, hatless. You know his opinion of the world. You can read it in his face, in his stance. Yet his complaint that a mans life is no bargain masks the actual case with him. Which is, that men will not do as he wishes them to. Have never done never will do. Thats the way of things with him and his life is so balked about by difficulty and become so altered of its intended architecture the he is little more than a walking hovel hardly fit to house the human spirit at all" J. Holden
farmboy
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »

My dad always used it when breeding the cows. Never used it for planting. I have never had much stock in using it.
I am really a renegade anyway. Maybe I should follow directions more often.

Western St Tammany Parish, La. (Zone 9-10)
Raised Bed Gardening - Tomahawk Chipper - Great Compost pile! - Tons of Hand Garden Tools
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: