The Bayou Gardener
October 25, 2014, 09:41:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garden Bedder/Hiller Project  (Read 8591 times)
GRDN4FOOD
A Gardener

Zone 8

« on: December 13, 2010, 05:23:12 PM »

Since my garden just got bigger I figured out real quick that life would be a lot easier with a garden bedder for the tractor.  Cheap as possible was the strategy for this project so I had to get my resourceful hat on.  Huh?      I started with a three-point hitch that I cut off an old culti-packer that was sitting on the edge of the field collecting rust (if you feel you need this culti-packer barrel, I could part with it for a small donation of a variety of heirloom seeds.... Grin ).  I did have to go buy a new 2 inch stick of square tubing to make the new toolbar.  I welded it up to make the frame (I do not claim to be a welder by any stretch) that I hope holds together for at least a half of a row pass Embarrassed .

I was able to get the 16" discs on the stiff shanks from an online agriculture supply site (message me if you want the link).

Then I found some old pipe and scrap metal plate laying around that I cut for the brackets and welded them together with some half inch nuts and bolts for set screws.  I still have to drill the holes for the u-bolts to go through the brackets and get it all painted up.  Can't wait to get it all together and try it out!

Grow it. 
Store it. 
Eat it when you need it.
Give God the Glory!

Mahindra 5010 4WD FEL
6' disc
5' finish mower
Homemade Garden Bedders
Middle Buster
Hoe
USDA Zone 8
Wiggins, MS
aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »

Hope it goes well for ya G , that is what i plan to do before spring , it sure seems like it would be a pretty easy way to knock a couple hundred off the price if ya got some scrap layin around and i am eat up with that.

earl

From a farming family but not a farmer trying to learn now so it can be passed on to my grandsons so they can see what fed our family as far back as I can trace. My wife Michelle and I live in a small rural community of maybe 30 households called smithcreek our only child a daughter Terri lives about a mile away with her husband who is a bee keeper. We have a JD 5105 4wd a 16" double bottom , 5'harrow covington 1 row planter 1 very old bush hog & 1 fairly new bush hog a boom pole & a push plow and plenty of shovels ,rakes,and hoes , and with the exception of the rakes , hoes shovel and push plow we are hoping to know how to use them by this time next year .SMITHCREEK COMMUNITY OF N.W. FLA/APALACHICOLA NAT'L FOREST- GOD'S COUNTRTY!!
GRDN4FOOD
A Gardener

Zone 8

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »

The discs and shanks were only $30 a piece but shipping killed me at $25.  The 2" tubing was the only other cost at around $40 because the shortest stick I could buy was ten foot.

Grow it. 
Store it. 
Eat it when you need it.
Give God the Glory!

Mahindra 5010 4WD FEL
6' disc
5' finish mower
Homemade Garden Bedders
Middle Buster
Hoe
USDA Zone 8
Wiggins, MS
aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:45:34 PM »

i would guess you got the wheels and shanks from asc ? if so there is one in south Ga ,it's over two hours away but i love to ride the area and look at all the toys , uhm i mean tools i would like to have one day. theres a implement dealer on the way that deals in new and used stuff and a lot of it !!

earl

From a farming family but not a farmer trying to learn now so it can be passed on to my grandsons so they can see what fed our family as far back as I can trace. My wife Michelle and I live in a small rural community of maybe 30 households called smithcreek our only child a daughter Terri lives about a mile away with her husband who is a bee keeper. We have a JD 5105 4wd a 16" double bottom , 5'harrow covington 1 row planter 1 very old bush hog & 1 fairly new bush hog a boom pole & a push plow and plenty of shovels ,rakes,and hoes , and with the exception of the rakes , hoes shovel and push plow we are hoping to know how to use them by this time next year .SMITHCREEK COMMUNITY OF N.W. FLA/APALACHICOLA NAT'L FOREST- GOD'S COUNTRTY!!
Dragonfly
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »

Hope this works well for you. From the pics, my main concern would be the torque from the disk on those support rods.  I would suggest starting with those disk as close to the tool bar as possible until you see how they perform.  Wishing you well......

Jennings, LA (Zone 8b-9a) Retired Research Engineer [Getting use to it]
Kubota L3240, 5' Bushog, 5' KingKutter II tiller, Homemade Hipper & Middlebuster, cultivator, 50 gal sprayer
davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

That should work, mine only had 1 bolt on each, they kept coming loose and turning. Drove it across the street and got my neighbor to tack weld it they dont come looses no more...

Massey Ferguson 231, Nolt's RB-448 Mulch Layer, Countyline Tiller 6', Leinbach 60" Bedder, Earthway Seeder, Hatfield Transplanter, Countyline Middlebuster, Countyline Subsoiler, Countyline Cultivator, Rhino 60

Willis, Tx
IH Farmall
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »

WOW

That makes me wish I could weld and had a welder. 

Great Job !!!!

Tim

Tim (Redneck Rescue Ranger)
Lewisburg, Mississippi
Zone 7b
1954 Farmall Super C
1952 Farmall Cub
2010 Mahindra 2816 with FEL
2011 Kubota BX2360 with 60" deck
Craftsman 17 inch rear tine tiller
5 foot Big-Bee Finish Mower; 5 foot Kodiak rotary cutter; 4 foot United box blade, 4ft 12x16 disk harrow;
4 foot Sicma tiller; 14 inch County Line Middle Buster,
Single row cultivator with bedder attachment; 4 foot spike tooth drag harrow
Allis Chalmers Planter
Earthway Planter; Boom pole
30 gallon spray rig; 300 pound spreader/seeder
mhpgardener
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »

Nice job there G4F. It's very gratifying when you can make something out of scrap, and have it work just as well as the original storebought equipment, and save money too.

It is one thing to earn the money to put food on the table, it is yet another to produce the food itself.
Southern Virginia
http://www.youtube.com/user/mhpgardener
GRDN4FOOD
A Gardener

Zone 8

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »

It will probably be this weekend before I can tinker with it some more.  I borrowed my neighbors AC welder and quickly saw myself needing one.  The local tractor supply has a small AC welder starting at around $300.  The more I use tractor implements the more I see the need for one.  I'm not so easy on equipment .  Grin

Some places are selling just the 5 foot toolbars for $100 new.

I figure I will have $150 in this project after it's all done.  I got impatient and paid $25 in shipping that ate my lunch on the discs for a total of $90.  Plus the square tubing for 40, plus nuts/bolts, and paint.

I'll post some pics when I finish it up.  I'm just as interested to see how it will do as you are.

Grow it. 
Store it. 
Eat it when you need it.
Give God the Glory!

Mahindra 5010 4WD FEL
6' disc
5' finish mower
Homemade Garden Bedders
Middle Buster
Hoe
USDA Zone 8
Wiggins, MS
davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »

Still cheaper than mine, $400 with 2 cultivators... http://www.thesmartfarmer.com/supplies/Field-Bedder__Field-Bedder.aspx

I took a metal fence post and tacked it across the cultivator shanks to level the row out on top....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:05:14 PM by davidjrtx » Logged

Massey Ferguson 231, Nolt's RB-448 Mulch Layer, Countyline Tiller 6', Leinbach 60" Bedder, Earthway Seeder, Hatfield Transplanter, Countyline Middlebuster, Countyline Subsoiler, Countyline Cultivator, Rhino 60

Willis, Tx
MAYOR
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »

I gotta build me one of these!.

Lets go back 50 years and try this again.....maybe we can get it right this time!.
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:33:15 PM »

I think you'll find that when drawing rows all you'll want / need on that tool bar is the disc.

http://www.stevenstractor.com/farm-equipment/gardening-implements/heavy-duty-row-builder.html

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »

Yea the cultivators to get the tire tracks out does not do that well, of course I can get a few more and take the disc off then have a cultivator. The fence post I put across from one to the other does ok to level the tops of the rows though...

Willis, Tx
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »

Never really looked for parts so I'm not sure. 

One thing I can say is I'm not sure how well the middle buster attachment would hold up.  I use my middle buster to break up new soil and also to run deep through the garden like a sub soiler.  When pulling that hard it takes some tough equipment to hold up.

Donald

Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 05:53:55 PM »

Have to agree with Donald about the middlebuster, I personally dont think a bolt on one like that is going to hold up to well...

Willis, Tx
aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »

G4Food i am in no way shape or form a welder but i have been stickin metal together for 35 years and one suggestion i would make is to spend a few dollars more and get a a/c d/c machine . everyone will discourage you but i have used a d/c machine with lincoln aluminum rods and successfully made decent welds on aluminum and like i say i am in no way a welder , just flat out to cheap to pay someone the price of a buzz box to run a few beads and hit it with a grinder. i have used a bunch of machines and personally i like the lincoln a/c-d/c 225 for stick welding (buzz box) which is about all i do , i am old fashioned and while we have a nice mig machine i just dont care much for it ,nuthin against the mig process i just prefer stick. we just bought a nice miller multi process machine with a tig torch but i havent had a chance to play with it yet. we also got a new plasma cutter , i cut a couple holes with it just to see how it would do and it is quite a bit smoother than a torch but i aint quite got it down yet.

earl

GRDN4FOOD
A Gardener

Zone 8

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:43 PM »

Thanks for the info Earl.  The only welds I'm really worried about coming apart is the pipe I welded to the plate for the brackets.  I figured I could tack on some more angle iron on either side of the pipe if it becomes a problem.  I got a coat of purty red paint on it this morning.  Going to give it another coat tomorrow and put it all together.  I'll put up pics when I finish.  I will not be able to get it in the ground right away because of the rain....

Grow it. 
Store it. 
Eat it when you need it.
Give God the Glory!

Mahindra 5010 4WD FEL
6' disc
5' finish mower
Homemade Garden Bedders
Middle Buster
Hoe
USDA Zone 8
Wiggins, MS
aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »

yup 'rainin here to , caint wait for the pics

earl

aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 01:18:26 PM »

WOW

That makes me wish I could weld and had a welder. 

Great Job !!!!

Tim
Tim you can weld you just dont know it yet , the secret is to learn what works for you and dont let anybody talk you out of it. if you can borrow a buzz box and just practice stickin stuff together with different rods you will find what works and what dont and what rods work best for you. anybody can learn to weld good enough for farm repairs it just takes seat time and patience. a welder is one of the most important tools i have and one of the most enjoyable to work with. try it you'll like it.

earl

bigboberta
Top Gun

Happy Gardening

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »

Never really looked for parts so I'm not sure. 

One thing I can say is I'm not sure how well the middle buster attachment would hold up.  I use my middle buster to break up new soil and also to run deep through the garden like a sub soiler.  When pulling that hard it takes some tough equipment to hold up.

Donald

I have a Srevens Garden package, and did well with it until I tried to dig a trench for pipe and hit a tree root and the weld that holds the bar to the bracket split.  Never had problems when using in the garden tough.

Greensburg (Easleyville) St. Helena Parish, LA
2 1/2 Acres

Zone 8a or 8b now.
Retired Firefighter

1952 35 HP Gas Allis Chalmer  WD ,    2008 Mahindra 3525 35 HP Diesel, 
2011 Land Master LM 400 Utility Vehicle,  John Deere 42" Riding Lawn Mower, 50" Exmark Zero Turn Mower, Woods RD60 5' Finish Mower.

Stevens Garden Package,  Stevens Deluxe Row Hippers, County Line Middle Buster, 6 1/2' United Tandem Disc Harrow , United Dirt scoop 30", 6' County Line Tiller.

Earthway 1001-b Precision Seeder with 1500 side dress attachment,  Hatfield Planter, Hoss Wheeled Hoe and Planter. Stand n Plant Seeder, Stand n Plant Planter.
GRDN4FOOD
A Gardener

Zone 8

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »

Well here she is all painted up.  Still to wet to put it in the ground. 

NortekJ, I'll be taking your recommendations as you were right.  When I torqued down those bolts they did mash the ends.  I'm going to go get some of those G8 bolts and lock nuts...

C'mon Spring!!

Grow it. 
Store it. 
Eat it when you need it.
Give God the Glory!

Mahindra 5010 4WD FEL
6' disc
5' finish mower
Homemade Garden Bedders
Middle Buster
Hoe
USDA Zone 8
Wiggins, MS
aebsmithcreek
Top Gun

after the circus

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »

looookkiiiiin goooood! Grin

earl

thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »

You did a fine job G4F. 

Donald

GRDN4FOOD
A Gardener

Zone 8

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 08:10:34 PM »

Thanks fellas!  When it comes time, I'll show it in action.   

Now I need to find some cultivators and shanks to inter-change on the toolbar.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Grow it. 
Store it. 
Eat it when you need it.
Give God the Glory!

Mahindra 5010 4WD FEL
6' disc
5' finish mower
Homemade Garden Bedders
Middle Buster
Hoe
USDA Zone 8
Wiggins, MS
farmboy
Top Gun

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 09:24:40 PM »

Man that is a great job. I just love to tinker around the shop, repairing and making things. Just wish I had more time to do so.
Can't wait to see how it works in the spring.

Western St Tammany Parish, La. (Zone 9-10)
Raised Bed Gardening - Tomahawk Chipper - Great Compost pile! - Tons of Hand Garden Tools
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: