The Bayou Gardener
September 01, 2014, 04:25:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hatfield transplanter  (Read 3256 times)
humpy
Grasshopper

« on: November 30, 2010, 08:22:17 AM »

Hi All: Just wondering how many out there have used a hatfield transplanter. I saw donalds video but I am looking for some feedback on how good they are. Or if anybody has a homemade version Id love to see it. Anything that saves bending over is a cool tool in my book.

cub cadet/yanmar ex2900,FEL,5'tiller,box blade,landscape rake,finish mower,middle buster,stevens cultivator/disc hiller, IH 295 one row planter polaris touring. north central illinois zone 5
southerngardener
Master Gardener

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:52:39 AM »

if my memory serves me correctly, i have a transplanter that someone on the forum made of PVC pipe.  i need to build one or buy one.  would make things a little easier.  i just found the post with the homemade version: http://thebayougardener.com/smf/index.php?topic=1467.0 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:59:42 AM by southerngardener » Logged

South TX - Zone 9a

Kubota L3400; King Cutter II PTO Tiller - 60"; 3pt "Row Builders"; earthway planter
SmallCity Farm
Grasshopper

Charlotte, NC. Zone 7b

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »

I have a Hatfield and I love it. I can transplant 80 maters in about 20 mins. It is a two person operation, one to operate the Hatfield and one to drop the plant. Once you get momentum you can plant a row in no time. Make sure you get the right size for the plugs you will be using.

3 acres accross the street from the 2nd largest Coca Cola plant in the USA.
robie robinson
Master Gardener

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:29:44 AM »

Ifn you got the bigger Hatfield, could you still use it with smaller pots,or onion plants. ie. does too big matter?

robie
wordman077
A Gardener

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:15:24 AM »

I ordered one yesterday.  I beleive it will be a big back & time saver.   Smiley

Utica, KY - zone 6 - Western KY
humpy
Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »

Well the verdict is in. The Hatfield ranks right up there with the worlds greatest inventions, canned beer, sliced bread,tractors. Yesterday my wife and I put 500 plants in the ground,candy onions, kohlrabi,broccoli,cabbage, in about  1 hour. If you guys have lots of transplants to put in the ground it will be the best money you have ever spent. I got mine at Johny's selected seeds. When I was starting all those plants my wife said you are nuts ,you been watching that crazy Cajun way too much. But when we were done planting she said are we done already? I wish we had some more stared this is fun. Quality time with your significant other in the garden is great.

cub cadet/yanmar ex2900,FEL,5'tiller,box blade,landscape rake,finish mower,middle buster,stevens cultivator/disc hiller, IH 295 one row planter polaris touring. north central illinois zone 5
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:44:46 AM »

Humpy ... You know I like to keep things easy and simple.  If that thing didn't work it would have been put under the Kubota rear wheel test and then used for target practice.    Grin

Mine is stored in my shop and taken very good care of.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
cropduster1968
Master Gardener

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »

I want to see a video of that! 500 sets divided by 60 minutes =.12 per second  Shocked you must have looked like a jack hammer or woodpecker ! Wink Please come help me plant next year.

zone 9 close to hell but great in the winter ;>)
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

Cropduster ... that's one plant every 7.2 seconds.  Slow as I am I could handle that.  Got to keep in mind two people planting with the hatfield can cover some ground.   My buddy and his wife came the other day and planted a row of onions.  He was planting a bulb (by hand the way I did it in the video) about every 4-5 seconds.

Donald

Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

cropduster1968
Master Gardener

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »

I still want to see it  Grin

AlaRedNeck
Top Gun

Dead Center of Alabama-Zone 7b/8a

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:56:25 PM »

We planted somewhere between 950-1150 onion sets ( 19 bunches, using their avg. of 50 to 60 plants a bunch ) from Dixondale back in Feb., using a 2.5" Hatfield.

That's an avg. of one every 4.7 to 5.7 seconds.

My helper was a 68 year-old gentleman, who is not in good health.

It took us right at 2 1/2 hrs, and that's with us stopping and lolly-gagging around some, too.

When you get into a rhythm, you can flat more plant some stuff with it. Can't wait to use on the transplants.  Grin

Would have used it on my taters, but it got there the same day, just after we planted them....not their fault....I just ordered it too late.

Danny 

"The truth is that farmers, as we all are, have no command of money. Our necessaries are all supplied, either from our farms, or a neighboring store. Our produce, at the end of the year, is delivered to the merchant, and thus the business of the year is done by barter, without the intervention of scarcely a dollar; and thus, also, we live with a plenty of everything except money."
-- Letter from Thomas Jefferson To William Duane (1811)
humpy
Grasshopper

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 02:31:21 AM »

My Intention with my post was not to brag about "look what I did' it was to let my fellow gardeners know about a tool that is a real time saver and back saver. Most of us have probably spent some of our hard earned cash on something for the garden that wound up in the dumpster but the Hatfield works as advertised. Cheers   Humpy

cropduster1968
Master Gardener

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »

humpy & donald
 Looks like I need to go back to math class  Angry That still a lot faster than  I have been doing it. I have ordered one  Grin I planted over 500 onions last fall crawling around in the garden & it just about did me in.Now if I can find some one to load the Hatsfield planter for me Grin

thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 07:24:11 AM »

Now Iím going to through a twist (that some may not know) into this thread.

If youíre real careful when planting onion seeds and get them spaced out pretty well you wonít need to transplant em.  I still have a bunch of transplants that werenít dug, some have golf ball sized bulbs on em and are 18 -24 inches tall.  The ones I did transplant (spaced out) are just now starting to take off and grow.  Transplanting does set em back a good bit.

Donald

north country farmer
Grasshopper

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »

does the 2.5 in hattfield plant onion plants well or does it make too big of a hole?

doug
Possum
Top Gun

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »

Donald
 Whatís your timing for seed to planting time? I usually have plants flowering before planting outside. Most of my plants started in the greenhouse would not go through the planter shoot. I would think that careful timing would be necessary to use the Hatfield planter?
Possum

Ford 5600, Cub 140, Kubota B-8200 Orchard and greenhouse on 10 acres in South Louisiana

Click for weather forecast
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »

Doug ... The 2.5 inch is just right for onions and can be used with 2 1/4 inch pots.

Possum ... For the spring I start my tomatoes and peppers about 8 weeks before transplanting.  If your greenhouse is heated then they will grow faster.  For the fall crop because of the hot weather they grow a lot faster so about 6 weeks should do it.  You have to adjust to your setup.

Donald     

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: