The Bayou Gardener
November 24, 2014, 08:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost of Pecans  (Read 1615 times)
reartinetiller
Top Gun

« on: November 19, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »

I must admit, I love pecans, but I went to the store today and they had less that a pound of pecans in the shell for about $7.00.  I know allot of you have your own pecan trees but I sure don't but I'm not paying that price.  What do pecans sell for around your area?  Roy

Cub Cadet GT1554, Troy Bilt reartine tiller, Troy Bilt two cyle tiller, Earthway planter, Brush mower,two dogs and a lovely wife with a hoe who knows how to use it.

Central Illinois Zone 5
cindyintexas
Master Gardener

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:16:04 PM »

Here are prices from the pecan house in our area.  I am located in South Texas

3 lb     $14.25     
5 lb    $23.75
In Shell

3 lb     $15.75     
5 lb    $26.25
Cracked in shell

1 lb     $12.00     
3 lb    $33.00    
5 lb    $55.00
Pecan Halves

South Texas
Zone 9
Gardening on 3/4 acres, and wishing it was all garden. 
Dreaming of the day we can move to the 200 acres.  Four year plan!!!!
Work from home wife and mom while homeschooling our 2 sons.
ColeAnthony
Master Gardener

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 12:02:23 AM »

its inflation what you do is, stock up on them during the months before thanksgiving and Christmas. Also I know down in LA they were buying shelled pecans for 1 dollar a LBS

"Pick a man any man. That man there. See him, That man, hatless. You know his opinion of the world. You can read it in his face, in his stance. Yet his complaint that a mans life is no bargain masks the actual case with him. Which is, that men will not do as he wishes them to. Have never done never will do. Thats the way of things with him and his life is so balked about by difficulty and become so altered of its intended architecture the he is little more than a walking hovel hardly fit to house the human spirit at all" J. Holden
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 05:36:18 AM »

Here's a link to the wholesale price Friday 11-19-10.

http://marketnews.usda.gov/portal/fv?paf_dm=full&paf_gear_id=1200002&startIndex=1&dr=1&rowDisplayMax=25&class=NUTS&repType=termPriceDaily&dr=1&locName=&commAbr=PECA&commName=PECANS
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 06:08:47 AM »

Cindy

Do people pay that price?

If I were to try and sell pecans for that price I would get laughed at.

Last week at the market here one guy was getting $2.00 in the shell. One lady was selling sandwich bags of halves for $5.00 a bag. I imagine they would weigh up to about 1/2 pound.

I usually avoid Wal Mart like the plague, but I'll have to see if I can get a parking spot and check the prices here. You can bet Wal Mart didn't pay those wholesale prices on the link I posted. They probably found them a poor old farmer or coop that had several million pounds they needed to move and beat them down on the price. They were probably just happy to move them.

Possum
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »

Roy
 Wow, I am going to calculate fuel cost to bring a pick up truckload up there. We usually pick a barrels full to give away. I have 10 producing trees and a several young trees. Prices per pound are so low here that I just let them rot on the ground. I am too old and lazy to mess with a crop that is so competitive here.
Possum

Ford 5600, Cub 140, Kubota B-8200 Orchard and greenhouse on 10 acres in South Louisiana

Click for weather forecast
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »

Possum you aint right and I'm jealous.  Next time somebody says money doesn't grow on trees, I guess we can correct them by citing 2010 pecan prices.  I'm going to have to buy one of those battery powered sprayers to roust the web worms out of the tree tops but, if there's any justice, I will have some next year.

MS Coast
cindyintexas
Master Gardener

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

Cindy

Do people pay that price?

If I were to try and sell pecans for that price I would get laughed at.

Last week at the market here one guy was getting $2.00 in the shell. One lady was selling sandwich bags of halves for $5.00 a bag. I imagine they would weigh up to about 1/2 pound.

I usually avoid Wal Mart like the plague, but I'll have to see if I can get a parking spot and check the prices here. You can bet Wal Mart didn't pay those wholesale prices on the link I posted. They probably found them a poor old farmer or coop that had several million pounds they needed to move and beat them down on the price. They were probably just happy to move them.

B...
They do around here.  I think this pecan house must do rather nicely because they just expanded.  I took my pecans there to just have them cracked and they now charge .50 per pound.  I think I only paid .25 last year. 

Here is the link
http://www.cueropecanhouse.com/home.html

South Texas
Zone 9
Gardening on 3/4 acres, and wishing it was all garden. 
Dreaming of the day we can move to the 200 acres.  Four year plan!!!!
Work from home wife and mom while homeschooling our 2 sons.
MAYOR
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 04:17:39 AM »

Last year about this time, I was working in Mobile, Alabama........I got on craigslist and punched in "pecans".....there were lots of folks selling them out of they're homes from they're trees and most were in the 1.25 -1.75 per pound.   There were also lots of folks that would give them too you on the halves if you came and picked them up.   I found one lady that said she would take a dollar a pound and I bought 125 pounds in the shell.
But that was last year also!.

I would like too buy about 50 pounds in the shell for this year.........we have about a peck basket left over from last year....and they're still goo pecans!.

Lets go back 50 years and try this again.....maybe we can get it right this time!.
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »

Here are prices from the pecan house in our area.  I am located in South Texas

3 lb     $14.25     
5 lb    $23.75
In Shell

3 lb     $15.75     
5 lb    $26.25
Cracked in shell

1 lb     $12.00     
3 lb    $33.00    
5 lb    $55.00
Pecan Halves

HOLY SMOKES.... Shocked

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »

$1.50lb in the shell...$5lb shelled... Grin

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
coonneck
A Gardener

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »

Possum how much if I drive to the "Berry" and pick them up?
Possum
Top Gun

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 05:19:36 PM »

Cooneck
 What's left is the east side of six trees. There is a ditch on that side and grass that was bush hogged a couple of months ago. Mostly stewart and desirable pecans with one paper shell that never produces good quality. If you want some pm me.
Possum

Ford 5600, Cub 140, Kubota B-8200 Orchard and greenhouse on 10 acres in South Louisiana

Click for weather forecast
Boggy
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »

For a perspective......I sold 75 lbs (in the shell), just today, to a buyer and they "brought" $92.50, or around $1.23 a pound.

In the VERY southeast corner of the backwards state of Alabama
"Pretended holiness is merely double wickedness".....Thomas Watson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: