The Bayou Gardener
April 20, 2014, 08:00:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ivory soap and hot pepper insect spray mix  (Read 1732 times)
bigcountry1009
Top Gun

« on: November 17, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »

Hey Donald, a while back I found a video of you making some bug spray out of a little water, softened ivory soap, and frozen Jalapeno peppers.  Do you remember the amounts you used in that?  Chemicals scare me just a bit, but I grew up with Ivory soap, even know how it tastes, but it never hurt me LOL.

thanks

Clinton, SC
Zone 7a
Husqvarna rear tine tiller and hand tools, plus my wife and babies
Looking to make grocery store trips a memory
VinceSilverFox
Top Gun

Zone 2a

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:19:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum Bigcountry!

Foton TE25 4x4 / heated cab, Frey loader, Kodiak 60" tiller, Wallenstein backhoe, Wallenstein chipper/shredder, Wallenstein log splitter, Walco rear blade.
2 Craftsman 17" tillers
1 Honda FG110 small 4-stroke tiller
Lambert seeder
Lots of hand tools
And more importantly, my brain and my imagination!

Val-d'Or, Quebec, Canada
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »

If I remember correctly ... The recipe is suppose to be a few hot peppers and a couple of TBS of Ivory in a gal. of water.  Naturally I put more.   Grin

The problem with this stuff is you have to use it regularly (I'd say at least a couple of times a week) and it doesn't run all the bugs off.  I would use it in combination with something like Sevin or Ortho Max.  When I ran out of hot peppers I started running powered cayenne pepper through an old coffee maker using a filter.

They do sell the liquid pepper and garlic (Neptune Harvest) just for this.  Very expensive cause it's labeled "Organic".

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Live on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »

I am going to make up a batch next year and add those "Ghost" Peppers (Bhut Jolokia) in the mix.  This stuff is what they rub on fence rails to keep away Bull Elephants.  I figure it should handle a Squash Bug!     Wink

I will test it on a small area, use long sleeves, goggles, gloves, facemask respirator and make darn sure I am up wind of any spraying I do.  Those Ghost Peppers are not any thing to play with.  They make a Red or Brown Habanero seem like a cayenne!    Shocked

Welcome to the Forum Bigcountry!   Grin

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
PawPaw gene
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:23:10 PM »

Welcome to the forum Big Country, that's not like in Montana or something. If you use the pepper spray, let us know how it worked out.
"gene"

Tired and Retired and loving it.
 1 hoe, 1 rake, Troybuilt rear tine tiller, 1978 Kubota B7100, 1 chicken tractor

Houma,LA Zone 9
From the bayou,
"gene"
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »

Have you thought about crab boil.

A neighbor of mine told me years ago that he used 1 tablespoon/gallon of water and ended some bug problem I can't remember.

I even tried it to see if I could keep the deer from browsing on the garden. I can't really say if it worked, We started getting daily rain after the first spraying. I might try it again if they start, or should I say when they start eating my greens, if a bullet doesn't get them first.
bigcountry1009
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:01:10 AM »

Welcome to the forum Big Country, that's not like in Montana or something. If you use the pepper spray, let us know how it worked out.
"gene"

Ha Ha, no, I'm from the upstate of SC.  I recon I got that label because I'm about 6'5" and go about 340. 

Now, I'm not interested in breaking my back to be organic, but If I use spray chemicals, are they safe to eat with a rinse of water?  My biggest problem is "stink bugs" i believe.  There will be hundreds of them on my tomatoes and squash.

Clinton, SC
Zone 7a
bigcountry1009
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 08:05:02 AM »

And thank ya'll for the welcome.  I enjoy gardening, I don't like spending much money, and I like to eat things that taste good.  Gardening solves those problems.

Clinton, SC
Zone 7a
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:15:46 AM »

Big B ... crab boil has lots of salt so be careful.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Live on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 04:27:57 AM »

I only used the crab boil once and that was last year. This year I just planted enough for me and the deer. Since we got rain I've seen signs of where they have been prowling around. Their gravy train is over, but their next harvest is just around the corner. The greens are starting to grow like weeds. Maybe I can get the little ryegrass and green plot for them started and hold them off until a bullet finds them.
jtraines

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »

When using the Ivory soap, instead of whittling it down or grating your knuckles off, simply put the bar of soap in a large microwaveable bowl and nuke the soap for about 3 to 4 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave). The bar of soap expands to 10 times its original size. It becomes a mountain of soft soap and crumbles when rubbed in your hands. NOTE: Allow the soap to cool down before touching it.
The soap is now easily blended into your mixture. I use this method a lot and it is easy to do.
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:10 PM »

Welcome jtraines!  Great suggestion.  I will use that next time I need a bar.  I usually chop it and put it in a 48 oz. pickle jar with water and as I pour off what I use I add more water.  I have about half of one now in the shop.  Slowly but surely the solid pieces get smaller!   Grin

I love watching things in the nuker!   Grin Grin Grin

Welcome again!   Wink

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: