The Bayou Gardener
April 23, 2014, 11:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Freezing Muscadines or grapes  (Read 1980 times)
PawPaw gene
Top Gun

« on: October 19, 2010, 09:14:34 AM »

Has anyone tried freezing muscadines or grapes before. I picked 5 gallons of bronze muscadines last year and put them in the freezer in gallon zip lock bags. I discovered them recently and tried to thaw them and eat them. I found that the best way I like them is to just run a little warm water on them one at the time and peel the skins off. It work something like skinning a tomato after dunking in hot water for a few seconds. I peel as many as I want to eat at a sitting, a dozen of so, and then eat them still frozen. It's like eating muscadine sherbet or something. Just watch for the seed. 

I also froze some red grapes. They peel easier than the muscadines, just run a little water on them and pinch and they slip right out of there skins. Since grapes are available year round I wouldn't do it except these grapes have a special meaning to me. They were my Dad's when I was a much younger and looked forward to eating them with him each year. Now he's gone but the memories remain.
"gene"

Tired and Retired and loving it.
 1 hoe, 1 rake, Troybuilt rear tine tiller, 1978 Kubota B7100, 1 chicken tractor

Houma,LA Zone 9
From the bayou,
"gene"
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »

If I have any luck at all, I may have some to freeze in a couple years.  I think it would be an excellent means of keeping them until you have time to make jelly or juice.  Sometimes I'm not ready when the harvest is.

MS Coast
chuckga
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »

I freeze them for wine making, just put them in a trash bag and wrap them up good and stick them in the freezer.. we have preserved them for several months that way before processing them into wine.

The other method I use is to go ahead and juice them, then put the juice in canning jars.. seal them, water bath for 10 minutes... when we are ready to make jelly just pop open a jar or two and process them into jelly. Fast and effective if you dont happen to have time to make jelly during the harvest season.
Hines
Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »

My Grandmother used to freeze them and then make jelly with them later.
I seem to remember my Grandfather making wine with them after freezing them as well.

Suburban Gardner with a few hand tools in the Florida Parishes. Zone 8b
bigboberta
Top Gun

Happy Gardening

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »

CHUCKGA,Good to see you back.

Bob

Greensburg (Easleyville) St. Helena Parish, LA
2 1/2 Acres

Zone 8a or 8b now.
Retired Firefighter

1952 35 HP Gas Allis Chalmer  WD ,    2008 Mahindra 3525 35 HP Diesel, 
2011 Land Master LM 400 Utility Vehicle,  John Deere 42" Riding Lawn Mower, 50" Exmark Zero Turn Mower, Woods RD60 5' Finish Mower.

Stevens Garden Package,  Stevens Deluxe Row Hippers, County Line Middle Buster, 6 1/2' United Tandem Disc Harrow , United Dirt scoop 30", 6' County Line Tiller.

Earthway 1001-b Precision Seeder with 1500 side dress attachment,  Hatfield Planter, Hoss Wheeled Hoe and Planter. Stand n Plant Seeder, Stand n Plant Planter.
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:25:42 PM »

There's my buddy,Chuck!

Hi, Guy!

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: