The Bayou Gardener
August 21, 2014, 04:55:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagle bush bean seeds?  (Read 2556 times)
ThatCompostGuy
Grasshopper

« on: July 15, 2010, 11:54:46 AM »

I used to get bush green beans that were called Eagles and they quit selling them locally and I haven't been able to find them since.  They would get to be 9 inches long and still crisp and crunchy and straight and stringless for the most part if I remember correctly.  Two good pickings about a week or 10 days apart.  The store said the producer quit growing them.  I have no idea.  They were good while they lasted, though. 

Anybody know where to get them today?  Generally, not right now today... :-)

--
Chris
Pendleton, SC (near Clemson - NW corner)
LORD's land
Grasshopper

Bill & Brandi

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:49:37 PM »

Hope this will help.

Bill

http://www.eagleseed.com/dealers.html

e-mail or call them at
sales@eagleseed.com
 870-684-7377.
ThatCompostGuy
Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 05:11:55 AM »

Not exactly.  That's soy beans for food plots for attracting deer.  What I'm referring to is a variety of green bean called Eagle, like Contender or Roma or Blue Lake.  The guy at the feed & seed store said they're not grown any more.  But I never know if they're serious or if they just want to get on with the next customer.

--
Chris
Pendleton, SC (near Clemson - NW corner)
sharon78070
Top Gun

<<<<Zone 8b>>>> !Grow Garden Grow!

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:42:32 PM »

Compost Guy,
This website is all about beans.  Halfway down the page was the Eagle Bean.

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/beangrnal.html

Eagle (XP B13) - Breeder and vendor: Asgrow Seed Co. Parentage: Roundup x BBL 274. Characteristics: unique, slender podded Tendercrop type; high production; long pods with low fiber; and slow seed development. Resistance: bean virus 1, New York 15. Similar: Tenderette. Adaptation: general. Asgrow Desc. Catalog 1971. PVP. 1972.

So then I looked up the seed company for you.  Hope this helps and is the correct one.

Asgrow Seed Company

* (608) 755-1777

5926 E Us-14, Janesville, WI 53546 Get directions Cross Streets: Between S Van Allen Rd/S Henke Rd and S Milton Shopiere Rd

Zone 8b - Spring Branch, Texas (just north of San Antonio)  16' x 20' Small Home Garden
Semi-retired and loving it  ---  Toys - 1989 TroyBilt Junior w/ Tecumseh 4.5HP engine
Women Don't Get Lost, They Have Adventures!!
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »

On Sharons link,  it says Derby is similar to Eagle.  Derby is commonly available.  The seed companies keep coming out with supposedly new and improved varieties and drop the older ones.  Sometimes it's true and sometimes it's just hype.

MS Coast
sjwelchjr

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:11:53 AM »

I used to grow Eagle seeds too.  I spoke to my local Southern States owner and he said that they stopped producing them because of lack of interest and too much backstock.  I tried the Derby last year and found them very similar to the Eagle seed, maybe even a little better!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: