The Bayou Gardener
July 30, 2014, 08:08:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can You Seed or Take Clippings From a Blackberry Bush/Vine  (Read 2616 times)
GuitarPicker73
Grasshopper

Pickin' Guitar's and Vegatables

« on: July 10, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »

I have wild Blackberries growing all over my back hillside but to get them picked invloves blood shed. Both from the Blackberry bushes and the stuff I have to go thru to get to them. A friend has a very well estalbished THORNLESS Blackberry bush, can I start a clipping or is there another way to get seed out of it?

Thanks in advance!

Les

Les
Zone 6
North East Tennessee (Luttrell)
John Deere 2305 Tractor with Bucket, Yard Rake, Box Blade, and 62" Finish Mower. Huskee Rear Tine Tiller.
All the hand tool any gardening fool would ever need and then some.

www.youtube.com/guitarpicker73
chuckga
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:00:14 PM »

Blackberries are planted from root stock.. Each year mine put off several shoots from the roots so I just dig them up and plant them in new rows. You should not have a problem simply digging up the vines and planting. Clip the tops of the vines and leave only about 6 inches of the vine, plant them in December or January for the best results.

Wild blackberries will present a problem for you... one thing is that they are more prone to disease and the other is that the size of the berries are not going to be anywhere near the size of the tame berries. But you can plant them and trellis them for easy picking.
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »

I have 1 Navajo thornless plant.  It came in the mail at the start of that awful cold spell last January and I planted it in a pot thinking I'd get it planted out  before spring.  It's still in the pot and has 5 or 6 new canes that I think are new plants.  They're 5' tall. The original cane had been trimmed to about 6" and it managed to put on 1 berry.  It was huge and sweet as sugar.  No ifs, ands or buts.. I need some more of these babies. 

Thanks for the instructions Chuck.  I will get these going along a couple wires and try my best to keep the weeds out of them. 

MS Coast
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »

If you can find a wild blackberry vine that produces good fruit this is what you do.  You trace that vine back to where it goes in the ground.  Mark that cane with a wire tie or bread bag tie and then leave it.  When the foliage dies back go back to the area where the marked vine is and using a chopper of some sort whack the vines down.  Find that one you marked and dig up the roots.  Bring the roots home and cut the largest roots into 4" to 6" pieces.  Bury them in damp sand and keep them from freezing.  Around February dig up and till in the area where you want the blackberries to grow,  Add lots of compost and organic material.  Plant the vine roots in trenches about 3" deep and copver with soil tamping it down to make it firm.  The blackberries will grow and be the same ones you had last year.

Now this is how people have been collecting wild vines since the Dark Ages according to historians.  It is a tried and true method of collecting wild vines.  But like Chuck and Tut said, the wild vines are a far cry from the Hybrid thornless and other varieties today.  I grow Arapaho thornless berries and they produce a very high quality berry in large quantities without much care. I choose to prune mine according to methods developed at the University that developed the berries but you don't have to.  I grow two plants on a raised hill 8' long and 4' wide 20" high.  I get enough berries from those two plants for me and Nancy for cobblers, muffins and a small amount of preserves.  I am expanding to 6 bushes next year.

Another way to propagate berries is to use what is called air layering.  Cut a slit about half way through a good cane maybe 2 feet from it's end.  Open the crack up a small bit and stick part of a toothpick in it to hold it open.  Wrap a plastic bag with filled with wet peat moss around the stem where cut and then seal it with more plastic and tape. The bag should be about as large as a softball. Keep the peat moss damp all the time.  After a few weeks there will be roots in that bag attached to the end of the vine.  Cut the cane about 1" on the plant side of the bag and you have a separate plant.  A good plant can provide quite a few of these air layered cuttings in a year.  Pot it or plant it in the ground.  BTW, technically this is illegal to propagate a patented plant.  Just FYI.   Wink

BTW this air layering works with grapes, muscadines, and almost any vines there is in addition to some plants.  

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: