Author Topic: Interesting man----a real treasure!!  (Read 526 times)

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
  • Foothills of the Smokey Mtns-heaven on earth
    • View Profile
Interesting man----a real treasure!!
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:01:16 PM »
The man, John Coykendall, is the Master Gardner at the Blackberry Inn, which is just a stones' throw over the small mtn behind my house. He lives here in Tn, but many in Louisiana know who he is. A real treasure----need as as many like him as we can get!!      http://www.pbs.org/video/louisiana-public-broadcasting-presents-deeply-rooted/                                                                                                                                                 

Offline BamaFarmer

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting man----a real treasure!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »
Great documentary.I hope he writes a book someday.

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
Rabbitproof   very interesting.  Thanks for posting.
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline OrangeTxn

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 05:29:08 AM »
I had the opportunity to watch this when it first came out on PBS.  It's a fascinating documentary on an interesting and talented gentleman.  His dedication to preserving heirloom, bean seeds is admirable.
Location: Orange, Tx; Southeast Gulf Coast, zone 9a.  Small home garden.

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 06:45:50 AM »
Ditto what Orange said. What a debt of gratitude we owe this man. His desire and the "obligation " he feels should compel all of us to do better at passing seed saving on to our younger generation.

This is the kind of man I could sit and talk to for days.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere Z950M

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 07:25:32 AM »
Glad y'all enjoyed. Maybe the forum folks should each write  a journal of all the accumulated and passed down knowledge about farming and gardening.....for their kids/grandchildren, just in case. Even if you think no one inherited the interest, you never know. I had no real interest in gardening, until I hit my mid 40's. Then all of a sudden I felt a slight tug. Was way,way too busy tog garden until I was 51 and the tug suddenly became too great to ignore. Have gardened ever since and has been a great joy.....not to even mention the more delicious and  healthy food. My paternal grandmother always had a veggie garden....would be wonderful to have a diary of her accumulated knowledge and thoughts on growing! Just write a short paragraph here and there on a weekly basis.... does not have to be a major chore but is so valuable in such an uncertain world.. so far as the country's present food supply seems to be going. 

Offline jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »
I'll have to watch tonight. 

Rabbitproof, I keep a spreadsheet with an entry every time I do something in the garden or indoor.  I have a column for comments (what work/didn't work) too.  However, I need to populate that column more often and observation entries.  The more detail I can enter into the spreadsheet the better.  This will be the 3rd year of doing the spreadsheet so hopefully in the future I'll have a good system down (99% success) and documented. 
OH grown
Transplanted to Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a)
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »
Finally watched the link and it is only the promo/trailer.  Does anyone have the digital video?  If not, I might buy it.  Just let me know if you want to borrow it, and I'll lend it to you.

I saw another seed documentary where they show the seed collecting in the Ozarks.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az7L6d7bhn0
OH grown
Newbie (6th season) home gardener growing in raised beds annuals (generally 4'x20'), perennials, and fruit using non-mechanical, organic, and bio-intensive methods.

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:01 AM »
Jimmiec-----you should be able to watch the link. Maybe go straight to You Tube and find it. Don't know why it's not working for you.

Offline jimmiec

• Grasshopper
  • LA (Zone 9a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:23:36 AM »
Rabbitproof, I can watch the video at the link but it is only 4 minutes and 26 seconds for me (preview).  Are you able to watch the whole documentary?  May be I need to create an account to watch the whole video. 
OH grown

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
Jimmiec....yes, I can watch the entire video.

Offline woodchip gardener

• Dirt Dabber
  • out in the garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
i was watching potato videos on youtube today and watched this video on luther burbank.  he was the man who developed the burbank potato, which was the predecessor of today's russet potato.  he did a lot on developing hybrid veg.  the vid is only 9 minutes and interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEPMwLjR_So
post something!  c'mon...you know ya wanna...  :)

Offline Rabbitproof

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 06:19:31 AM »
Woodchip....Always thought of Burbank as a true plant genius.....2nd to me only to my hero, George Washington Carver. Carver was born to a slave who abandoned him in the woods when she ran away from her owners. The owners raised him and the rest is amazing history.