The Bayou Gardener
October 25, 2014, 03:47:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update-middle buster/furrower/row builder with pics  (Read 5926 times)
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »

All,

I was able to take pictures of my row builder/middle buster project over the weekend. This is my first pic upload to the site, so bear with me if there are mistakes. Basically, I took a field cultivator and was able to make about 5 additional tools out of it-a middle buster, furrower, row builder, hiller and chisel plow for roughly $200. Now I had the cultivator, so I did not have to buy that, but I bet lot's of folks have some tools like this they can expand. I will try to explain the pics as I go:

This is the hiller-row builder set up on my buddies 9N getting set for a 2nd hilling on my potatoes this week

These are the other add ons-one is the middle buster 16" shovel, 12" furrower and other points for cultivation and plowing

These are some close ups of the disc mounts

Well I am certainly sold on the row builder/hipper idea and really love this new tool. It was also really easy to use the furrower to create 2 - 250 ft potato rows that I planted over the weekend, then used the discs to fill them over. This is a true time saver tool and am not sure how I did anything without it.

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
5' King Kutter II rototiller
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
disc, 2 bottom plow,cultivator, spreader, blade
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:23:24 PM »

Here are a few pics of some of the work I was able to do with the hiller/row builder

This is the only crop that has worked out for me this year-250 ft of potatoes after 1st hilling

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »

VA Someone who can pick up some used farm equipment can build themselves some awesome tools for the garden.  Best part theyll be heavy duty and a lot less expensive than buying new.  That looks like a tool that will save you a lot of time in garden.  Great idea.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »

Well you were certainly the inspiration my friend, kudos to you and all you do!!!

They only cost $200 for the discs (65) mounts from Stevens (35) all new bolts (40) and the middle buster and furrower (60), I am still getting the hang of using them, the settings etc, and with my clay those discs can act on their own, but I certainly love them and am hooked, might start a row building/ potato hillin bizness Smiley

Oh, P.S. Big D, I am sending you the receipt for this one, another of your inspirations......Smiley

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:54 PM »

VA I got a warming some time back that there is a price on my head.  Some wives claiming Im the cause of their husbands spending money on new garden toys.  I think its Dead or Alive.   Shocked

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »

Well, all they need to do is walk behind that oh so fluffy dirt and then you will be a rock star, best money I have spent in a long time

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
crazyhorse
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:14:05 AM »

thanks for sharing that  great information.

i hope to put to good use.

JOHN 3:16,17,18

Produce
Conserve
Play square

Eat to live.
Your life depends on it.

Mud between my toes,
better than dust up my nose.

Happy gardening everyone.
hotuna
Board Moderator
Top Gun

"YUM"

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 05:44:23 AM »

Donald dont worry just get a bigger hat and stay in the shadows of da trees!   LOL

2nd thought's some of them women can be nasty creatures if tractors are buying into lovin time  Grin

Tuna

Located Mandurah,Western Australia.

Life is a continual search for truth, knowledge and wisdom...take a short cut and ask The Tunaman
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 07:15:10 AM »

Crazy horse,

If you need some more details like where to get parts etc, let me know and I can provide you everything you need to do the project, it was really quite easy, it actually took me longer to go to the Agri Supply store about 90 miles away than to put together the tool. What is funny, is that I was going to buy the discs to make the hiller and a stand alone middle buster. When I got there and saw all of the shovels they had I decided to make the cultivator the middle buster. So the middle buster by itself was $130 but I got the discs and two shovels for that cost, and 3 tools instead of just one. I already had the 8" sweeps which make it into a kinda chisel plow, and boy will it dig. My buddy and I put two 8" sweeps as outriggers like you see in the pic and then the 12" furrower on to cut two potato rows and man that thing really dug into my clay. My buddy's 9n got twisted a few times on one row. Now if either of us has hydraulics that would have been avoided, but we just shrugged it off and took a swig of beer!

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
MByrd

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

Help!
Why can't I see the pictures?

Any idesa from anyone?

MB

MarylandGRdNR
Grasshopper

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »

Nice setup!

I purchased 14" hiller discs for argi supply and expected the shanks to be the same diameter has my cultivator shanks.  Well they ended up being a lot wider. 

Where in the world can i find shank clamps so i can mount them to a tool bar?

Matt S
Grasshopper

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »

Nice setup!

I purchased 14" hiller discs for argi supply and expected the shanks to be the same diameter has my cultivator shanks.  Well they ended up being a lot wider. 

Where in the world can i find shank clamps so i can mount them to a tool bar?

I had to build mine.

Middle Tn - by the KY state line

Ford 640 w/a bunch of implements
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »

@MD here is the link for the tool bar clamps from Stevens tractor.

http://www.stevenstractor.com/farm-equipment-parts/dirt-working-parts/shank-holder.html

This is for a 2 1/2" tool bar, they may make one for a different size (2"), check this link as well

http://www.stevenstractor.com/farm-equipment-parts/dirt-working-parts.html?p=1

@MattS- Glad you were able to make them, I thought about it but then found the ones from stevens for like $30 delivered and figured for the time and effort and more importantly so I could commence the project I would buy them, but I like your style...

@MB are you one a dial up, if so the pics went in from photobucket at large scale, I will resize for you if that is the case.

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
RonD
Master Gardener

What REALLY does all the work around here!

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »

VA... I love the spring mounts on your shanks.  That alone is gonna save you quite a few headaches in the long run.

I think that is probably the best idea since the row-builder!

Shoot! I got too many toys to list em all here and a small plot of land to use em ALL on!
MByrd

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 06:09:59 AM »

VAFarmer, the picture problem was on my end. Thanks for checking.
Your mods to the cultivator sure made me spend some money. I ordered the hillers from Agri-Supply
and will make my own mounts since I had trouble getting them from Stevens.
You got me going in the right direction and for that I am grateful. I will try and post some pics
so you can see what you started.

thanks for sharing your idea with the rest of us.

Michael Byrd
Soso, MS
MAYOR
Top Gun

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »

Here's what ya do!!!!

Buy the little Mrs. her very own tractor.  Put her name on it and everything.  No need for anything more than a carryall or a small wagon too pull behind it.....once she learns  how too use it and sees how handy it is.........you'll have ya tractor buying buddy!.

Well... Huh? Undecided Wink it sounds good in theory anyway!

Lets go back 50 years and try this again.....maybe we can get it right this time!.
RonD
Master Gardener

What REALLY does all the work around here!

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 01:14:41 PM »

Mayor:

Tried that with a new Troy-Bilt lawn tractor, it DOES sound great in theory, but in a practical application a new outfit wins out overwhelmingly!   Grin

Shoot! I got too many toys to list em all here and a small plot of land to use em ALL on!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: