The Bayou Gardener
September 19, 2014, 10:54:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3-Pt Hitch Tillers (Forward rotation or Reverse rotation??)  (Read 10014 times)
CajunFox
Grasshopper

« on: November 24, 2009, 09:50:57 PM »

I am looking to purchasing a 3 pt tiller.  I would like opinions on which do you think is better, forward rotation or reverse rotation.  I think reverse rotation is fairly new to the market and not sure if there is a lot of experience with them.  Do ya'll think reverse would be harder on the tractor and maybe need more HP?  How wide do ya'll have and would you need wider than you have and why?  Which brand do you like?  Chain driven or gear??  Need some input to help me decide.

Thanks!!!!
FOX  Undecided

1972 Ford 2000 Diesel Tractor 
6' disc
5' bushhog
5' box blade
Row hippers
Earthway planter
Row buster
54" Yanmar Tiller

South Louisiana Zone 9
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:06:13 AM »

CajunFox ...  what HP tractor do you have? 

I have a 32 HP and I don't think it could handle anything larger than a 5ft. tiller.  Since I use mine a lot to cultivate between the rows I don't think I could or really want to use something any wider.  A 5ft model covers both my wheel tracks, which is nice.  As far as gear driven or chain, I would choose gear driven.  Mine is forward rotation (pushes the tractor) so I'm not familiar with the reverse rotation models.  In fact I didn't know they made em. 

The brand and model I bought was a King Kutter II.  If I'm not mistaken they changed the name of that model to King Kutter Pro.

Donald     

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »

Fox,

I am also in the market for a 3pt tiller. I actually watched a LandPride promo on youtube yesterday comparing forward and reverse tillers. Woods also makes a reverse tiller. LandPride claims reverse tillage leaves a smoother seed bed. I have a 1941 John Deere A 29 hp tractor and am going to get the 5ft King Kutter forward tiller. I spoke to the folks at King Kutter and I personally think this is probably the best on the market. Reverse makes sense, but the King Kutter has 6 cutters per flange for a total of 42 cutters on the 5ft tiller. Land pride charges more for the extra cutters, and most tillers only come with 4 per flange. In my humble opinion, you are best off with the forward rotation and 6 cutters. The extra cutters make up for the forward rotation. I also agree with Donald that gear drive is best, but i have read chain drive to be ok. I think the bottom line is, if you plow, then disc then till you can create great soil. And if you can add amendments to sweeten the soil like mulch, compost, green manures, with time you should be able to just till your fine black soil.

VA

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
5' King Kutter II rototiller
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
disc, 2 bottom plow,cultivator, spreader, blade
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 11:46:34 AM »

I watched the Land Pride promo and one thing I didn't agree with was making sharp turns while tilling.  This puts unnecessary stress on the bearings which could very well cause premature wear.  Regardless of brand I would avoid making sharp turns while tilling.  It's a lot easier and cheaper to lift the tiller then to start finding and replacing bearings.

With the exception of a finishing mower or blade, I would say that applies to any attachment hooked to your tractor.

BTW if you've never used a PTO tiller you'll kick yourself for not getting one years ago.  That applies to Row Hippers (Ridgers) as well.  Trust me on that one.   Wink

Donald
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:49:52 AM by thebayougardener » Logged

Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »

Donald,

You are absolutely correct about not turning with implements. I broke one of my hitch pins off of my disc this year from doing just that. I was able to fix it with some new welds and pins, but you are so right about avoiding it by using it correctly.

You are also spot on again about the greatness of a 3pt tiller. Actually you and your great videos are to blame for me needing a tiller. I wanted one, but after I watched your vids and saw your soil etc I had to have one. In fact if it were not the holiday's I would have one by now. I will send you a bill for the tiller and the row hippers I now have to have Smiley

VA

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »

vafarmer and fox ...  don't let the neighbors see you when using the tiller or row hippers.  Not being able to wipe that big smile off your face will have them thinking you're "throwed off" or something.   Grin   Grin   Grin

Donald 

vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »

Donald,

I look forward to having that sh*t eating grin when my skeptical buddy sees what I can do with those must have toys!!!!!! Grin

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »

I use a 31.5HP Mitsubishi 4WD Tractor and I could pull a 5' Tiller, but I got a great deal on a NEW Bush Hog RTC48 (4') so I went with it.  Before I had the RTC48 I was using a 48" Muratori (Italian) I would borrow from a friend.  It did a better job than my BH since it had 6 tines/flange and it also cut 9" instead of 8" deep.  It was a brute and although it is a chain drive, I would not hesitate getting one if I get the chance.

Gears are always going to be stronger than a chain system,  but the multi-row industrial chains they use in tillers are strong, quieter, and require less parts to make due.  I have a fine seed bed when finished but I have a very good clay/sand soil mixture with large amounts of mulch, green manures and leaf mold added and I also disc before I till when adding mulch and manures to the soil.

I have a small 6.5HP walk behind that has reversible tine rotation.  I use it either way and quite honestly the reverse does hardly any better than the forward rotation, but the trouble operating it like that negates any advantage.

Plow, till, no-till, raised bed, hill or flat,  if it works for you, then that is what is best.

Anyone that can afford a King Kutter Tiller will not be sorry.  KK is a reliable company that builds quality and good sense into their equipment.

Just a couple of bent pennies for the common discussion!

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
CajunFox
Grasshopper

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »

I have a Ford 2000 which is rated at 32 HP at the PTO.  I am thinking of going with a 4' just because I think the 5' may be a little heavy and make the front end light.  It doesn't have power steering so it might help out with that Wink.  The brands that I have looked at are Land Pride, King Kutter and Howse.  Undecided whch one is best. They all have good features. Does anyone have any info are experience with Howse?  Howse is another option that is available in my area and just wanting some input.  Thanks guys for the info so far.  I keep you posted on what I decide.

Fox

1972 Ford 2000 Diesel Tractor 
6' disc
5' bushhog
5' box blade
Row hippers
Earthway planter
Row buster
54" Yanmar Tiller

South Louisiana Zone 9
IH Farmall
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »

Around here the Land Prides are a little bit over priced....well.....a WHOLE lot over priced.  The King Kutters  and Howse implements are fairly reasonable and have a good reputation.

I got a tiller this past summer and have really enjoyed it.  It is a 4 foot Sicma (chain drive forward rotating).  It only has 4 tines per section but my little 22HP Jinma handles it really well and it makes a fantastic seed bed.  I chose the Sicma due to availability and price.  I would certainly recommend it to anyone who was in the market.

Tim

PS

Make sure you tighten the top link really good or it will vibrate apart

Tim (Redneck Rescue Ranger)
Lewisburg, Mississippi
Zone 7b
1954 Farmall Super C
1952 Farmall Cub
2010 Mahindra 2816 with FEL
2011 Kubota BX2360 with 60" deck
Craftsman 17 inch rear tine tiller
5 foot Big-Bee Finish Mower; 5 foot Kodiak rotary cutter; 4 foot United box blade, 4ft 12x16 disk harrow;
4 foot Sicma tiller; 14 inch County Line Middle Buster,
Single row cultivator with bedder attachment; 4 foot spike tooth drag harrow
Allis Chalmers Planter
Earthway Planter; Boom pole
30 gallon spray rig; 300 pound spreader/seeder
JoeIL
Top Gun

The yankee buzzard

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »

I tilled up new sod with a 18 hp tractor and 4 ft ford tiller (made in italy)  I had to go over it 4-5 times but I ground it up real good.  Really you cant go wrong with an Italian or American made tiller.  There is probably 3-4 italian makers of tillers  that make tillers for everyone. King kutter, as much as I gather get parts from everywhere and assembles them here.  They are probably the best bang for the buck.   As far as the reverse option being new I believe the old howard rotavators were mainly reverse tillers ... correct?  But I dont think you really need a reverse tiller.  
Here is some before and after pics

after

tiller's tines were a little wore so that my have help the little tractor.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:29:36 PM by JoeIL » Logged

thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »

Freshly tilled ground looks so good.

Donald

vafarmer
Master Gardener

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 10:17:37 PM »

Joe,

Love that black soil you got there. Love the smell of fresh soil in the mornin'. It may be my eyes, but are there lot's of rocks, or is that just debris? One thing I am worried about with using a tiller for a while on my plot is the rocks. I seem to be able to grow them real well. I have read that it is best to till the first few times with the back gate open to let rocks out, but I still worry about the wear and tear. Luckily, my buddies wife loves rocks and comes to get them and even takes them off my place, but my equipment finds every single one. Any good ideas about the rock problem and tilling the first few times?

Joe, you are right, from all my research, the Italians are big players in the tiller market, most of the suppliers I look at seem to carry a brand or two from Italy. I have been tempted to get a lesser model from a seller off Ebay. I think the brand is Value Leader, which I assume is Chinese made, but I have thought better of it and will only buy the King Kutter. What you don't pay for in the beginning you pay for in the end.

VA

1941 John Deere A
Yamaha Bruin 350
4' HD Bush Hog
6' JD 272 finish mower
Troy Bilt Pony tiller
JoeIL
Top Gun

The yankee buzzard

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 10:50:54 PM »

no rocks ( well a couple here and there) what your are seeing is clumps of sod  most of what I tilled under was 30+ years of sod.   Ya, spend a few bucks more get a lot better. I try to stay away from the peoples republic of crap china products.  As for tilling rocks , your right lift that rear gate up, go slow , maybe keep your tiller up a little on the first/ second pass  see how it goes.  You'll know when you hit them  Cheesy

GooleyRockFarm

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 12:31:08 AM »

I have a Ford 2000 which is rated at 32 HP at the PTO.  I am thinking of going with a 4' just because I think the 5' may be a little heavy and make the front end light.  It doesn't have power steering so it might help out with that Wink.  The brands that I have looked at are Land Pride, King Kutter and Howse.  Undecided whch one is best. They all have good features. Does anyone have any info are experience with Howse?  Howse is another option that is available in my area and just wanting some input.  Thanks guys for the info so far.  I keep you posted on what I decide.

Fox
[/quote 

Cajun, I have a 5 ft. Howse tiller. I have been well pleased with it for the two years Ive had it. It is very heavy built, gear drive, offset capable, comes with a slip clutch. It has four tines per flange but Ive not seen any negatives with that. They say six tines last longer but cost more to replace. With the Howse you can turn it around and use it in reverse mode but I see no need for that. The price of the Howse is fairly close, I think, to the King Kutter. Around 1500 for a five foot. The others are outta sight. One thing that I liked was Howse is in Mississippi, so parts should be no problem. Any tiller you go with will pretty much take the place of a turning plow and disc with better results. Theres no question its a good investment.
IH Farmall
Top Gun

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »

This is my Sicma 4 foot tiller.  It is made in Italy.  It does a really good job.  This is what my garden looks like today.  I just picked a mess of greens.

Tim (Redneck Rescue Ranger)
Lewisburg, Mississippi
Zone 7b
1954 Farmall Super C
1952 Farmall Cub
2010 Mahindra 2816 with FEL
2011 Kubota BX2360 with 60" deck
Craftsman 17 inch rear tine tiller
5 foot Big-Bee Finish Mower; 5 foot Kodiak rotary cutter; 4 foot United box blade, 4ft 12x16 disk harrow;
4 foot Sicma tiller; 14 inch County Line Middle Buster,
Single row cultivator with bedder attachment; 4 foot spike tooth drag harrow
Allis Chalmers Planter
Earthway Planter; Boom pole
30 gallon spray rig; 300 pound spreader/seeder
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 04:03:34 PM »

Looks like you got that garden fixed up real well IH Farmall.  Waiting for mine to dry just a little more so I can broadcast some fall fertilizer.

Donald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: