Author Topic: Concrete floors?  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Okie Bob

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Concrete floors?
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:22:24 AM »
I have a 20' x 20' slab behind my house where the previous owner had an above ground pool.
I don't have any use for it and was thinking I could build a greenhouse on it. In talking to Agra Rich on the phone yesterday, he reminded me the concrete slad would be a huge heat sink that would require a lot of extra heat to overcome.
First, I'm wondering is this is a deal killer?
Just sitting here thinking, I could build my greenhouse on the slab and put a couple of inchs of foam insulation over the slab and maybe some plywood on top of the foam??? Or, I guess I could even bring some dirt in to place on the concrete?
Never having had a greenhouse I'm ignorant about how much of an issue a concrete floor would really be.
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
Re: Concrete floors?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
Interesting comment from the company. I am not an expert in this field but all the glasshouses I have been using/visiting (Uni, Ag State Departments) had a concrete floor/slab. 
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 07:56:56 AM »
I wouldn't let the concrete floor be a deal killer for me. You have quite a few ways of overcoming it by adding a layer on top of it with straw, shavings, pea gravel or something of that nature.

Personally, I would use something like shavings or pea gravel that wouldn't turn to mud once you water. However, I would do some research before covering it as during the winter it should help to gather heat and hold it longer IMHO.
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
A concrete floor is a valuable asset for people living in hot climates since we can't use a GH in the warm months anyway.  Masonry of all kinds is excellent for absorbing and holding heat.  Any floor covering would just prevent it from absorbing heat.  I believe new GH construction in cold climates use insulation around the outside perimeter to help  prevent heat loss to the colder outside soil.  Water is also a good conductor of heat so heat loss to the outside soil when it's wet is increased.

Your county extension agent can probably offer some info on construction suited to your climate.  Also, I'd look for local companies in the business of GH construction, look on their website for specs.  A slab is great for sanitizing whereas if you have a soil floor that gets contaminated with disease or insects, it's difficult if not impossible to get rid of it.  There are also lots of videos on youtube for various climates.   
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »
Here in Louisiana, we must use shade covers to help with overheating in summer.  I'd consider using a wood mulch over the concrete.  Then in winter, you could just sweep out the mulch and have the heat sink property of the slab.  Next spring, just put the mulch back in.   Same if you got a major infestation of something - sweep out the mulch and spray down the inside of the greenhouse with whatever.  You can use water filled 30 gallon barrels as bench supports to add thermal mass.  Greenhouses are fun - wish you the best.  Bill

Offline tuttimato

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:57 AM »
Billygoat what level of shade cloth do you use for your GH?  I just got a grommet machine and I have a roll of 40% that I got several years ago and never used.  I'm going to try to make a professional looking cover for May-Sept.  I guessed at 40% and have no prior experience with it.  I'm hoping the plants will think it's like the dappled sun they get under the edge of a tree.
Try and you might, don't and you won't.

MS Gulf Coast, Zone 8b

Offline Vince6424

• Sprout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:31:58 AM »
Here is Australia where our UV readings are Extreme in the middle of the day, I use 50% shade clothe.
1/2 acre bush block in the Perth Hills, Australia

Offline billygoat

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 10:59:08 AM »
If I remember, I also bought 40% but I've heard of people using 50,and 60%.  40 has worked well for me - but all it takes is a little sun to heat the greenhouse to above 100 degrees, so be sure you plan on that.  If I put up a high tunnel, I'd have to use side curtain walls.  What I have now is a ten by sixteen hybrid glass and polycarbonate unit.  Plastic on top, and glass sides.   Good luck!  Bill

Offline Okie Bob

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 05:51:48 AM »
If I remember, I also bought 40% but I've heard of people using 50,and 60%.  40 has worked well for me - but all it takes is a little sun to heat the greenhouse to above 100 degrees, so be sure you plan on that.  If I put up a high tunnel, I'd have to use side curtain walls.  What I have now is a ten by sixteen hybrid glass and polycarbonate unit.  Plastic on top, and glass sides.   Good luck!  Bill

BG, could you post some pics of your GH?
I'm Sooner born and Sooner Bred and when I die I'll be Sooner dead!
PROUD CHICKASAW, NATIVE AMERICAN
25 acres of Oklahoma dirt JD 4420 with a bunch of attachments.

Offline Boudreaux in Eunice La.

• Sprout
  • Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »
I am getting mine up to par. It's a long story and got my damn goat. But I'll post it soon with some new pictures. All the ones I put on here bit the dust when the forum went down so I will have to find them and reload ~~~~~
I'm a optimist. Pessimists think all girls are bad. The optimist hope he's right ~!~!

Click for weather forecast

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 09:18:01 AM »
Boo-- all may not be lost..  Your pictures should still be on Photobuckets.  Just re-post and re-link to them.

Check your photobuckets for pictures you may want to use.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b