Author Topic: Quick question about pine shavings  (Read 393 times)

Offline ccat

• Grasshopper
  • It takes a big chicken to weigh 20 pounds
    • View Profile
Quick question about pine shavings
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »
This might be better for the livestock side, but because of where it will end, I am hoping the gardening/composting crew can answer my question.
I layer my chicken tractor/coop with straw, but last time I went to buy a bale, they were out of straw. (don't want hay)
I bought a bale of pine shavings.
Question.....will it be fine to throw the shavings straight on my garden to till up in April as I do the straw/manure, or should I put it on my compost pile to let it break down longer?
I have never used pine shavings and don't know how quick it breaks down as compared to straw.
Thanks in advance.
ccat
Fayetteville, Arkansas  Zone 6b
NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THAT'S WHERE YOU'LL BE

Offline cmhyland

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about pine shavings
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:57:38 AM »
I use the pine shavings in my coop when the local sawmill doesn't have sawdust...  The mill is an old rotary saw mill so the sawdust is almost like what comes from a chainsaw....  When I buy bailed shavings I get the yellow or fine  shavings from Tractor Supply.

I spread them out on my garden over the winter  making sure to not get large concentrations in any one area. They are tilled in in the spring.  The shavings can rob the soil of nitrogen but there is nitrogen in the manure...

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Thanks,
Chris

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:48:30 AM »
I would certainly compost them prior to putting them in the garden. For one, the manure will be hotter the fresher it is and like cmhyland said, the shavings will rob some nitrogen from your soil.
I think it will make some excellent compost so I would start with that. Just my $.02
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Online Davidx357

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:47:45 PM »
I put strait sawdust and shavings from a cabinet shop in may garden all the time.  I put down nitrogen and the spread the sawdust between the rows and add a little nitrogen on top and then water.  Has worked very well for several years.  Also helps lower ph which is what I need.