Author Topic: Hilling on drip tape  (Read 403 times)

Offline Rcs1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Hilling on drip tape
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
If you put drip tape on potatos or corn do you move it or just hill the dirt over it when you do the rows thanks for any help

Offline Ben

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
Re: Hilling on drip tape
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 10:41:24 PM »
RCS  If you have a vacuum breaker installed you can do either way.  If you do not have a vacuum breaker on your system, when your system drains it will suck air through your emitters and stop them up.  You will have to pull the ttape to the top and not covered with dirt.  Vacuum breakers are relatively inexpensive.  They are nothing more than a foot valve and lets your system suck air when irrigation cycle is  complete and draining.

Ben
Northwest La. zone 8b

Offline Rcs1

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
Thank you

Offline bigboberta

• Grasshopper
  • Making Gumbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:48:42 AM »
Of everything I plant, corn and potatoes are the 2 I don't cover.  You continually pull dirt to Corn and potatoes and they are buried deep and I am unable to get it up without breaking it into pieces.  Then I end up with little pieces of tape all over the garden when I till of disc the garden. 

Everything else I bury the tape and it is easily removed either by hand or with the tractor.

Bob
Retired Firefighter.

Zone 8b.
Mahindra 3525
2.5 acres
Easleyville, LA

Offline roger

• Grasshopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 03:12:20 PM »
On my corn, I waited until I had pulled up soil two times. About 14"---16". Then the drip tape was laid beside the stalks and pined down to keep it in place. Before that watering was done with a water wagon and a tractor seat (lazy mans way).
It seemed to work pretty good for me. Basically did the same for the potatoes.