The Bayou Gardener
April 16, 2014, 03:09:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone use shredded paper as bedding for chickens?  (Read 2874 times)
pybryce
Top Gun

« on: May 07, 2010, 09:45:15 AM »

I have so much shredded newspaper I decided to give this a try.  I am aware of potential splay leg problems, but the chickens using this area are all full grown and spend most of their time outdoors.  I'm really just trying to get them to help me speed along the compost process.  So far, they just push the mass of paper around when I throw corn in the middle of it.  I'm hoping as it packs down a little it will start to break down faster...  we'll see.

16 Acres in Zachary, LA (about 10 miles north of Baton Rouge).
2009 John Deere 5065 4WD, et al.
Zone 8b.
RonD
Master Gardener

What REALLY does all the work around here!

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »

I am aware of potential splay leg problems, but the chickens using this area are all full grown and spend most of their time outdoors.  I'm really just trying to get them to help me speed along the compost process.  So far, they just push the mass of paper around when I throw corn in the middle of it.  I'm hoping as it packs down a little it will start to break down faster...  we'll see.

pybryce:

They won't get splay leg from shredded newspaper.  They get it from slick surfaces when their feet keep sliding, like whole newsprint laid flat.  Shredded newspaper is not that slick, lots of edges for friction and their feet to get a grip on.

I wouldn't worry about the poop either.  That paper absorbs it like a sponge.  Your shredded newsprint will be a solid mass in no time.  Your biggest problem will be breaking it up with a hammer.  It will be like fiberboard.  Fiberboard is made by mixing water, a binder (your chicken manure) and wood pulp, (your shredded newspaper) and compressing it till it dries.  Basically, your chicken coop.

Shoot! I got too many toys to list em all here and a small plot of land to use em ALL on!
pybryce
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:46:20 PM »

I was hoping it would break down as opposed to firming up.. haha.  Oh well, guess I'll pull out the crowbar to get it out of there when the day comes.  Maybe I can add some wood chips on top to help keep it from clumping...  I'm going to experiment with it for a while.  I'll add more pics later.

Zone 8b.
MOhillbilly
Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:33:12 PM »

Is splay leg the same thing as spraddle leg?
RonD
Master Gardener

What REALLY does all the work around here!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:05:56 PM »

Is splay leg the same thing as spraddle leg?

yep

Shoot! I got too many toys to list em all here and a small plot of land to use em ALL on!
pybryce
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 05:08:15 PM »

Update:  I've added some woodchips to try to help it breakdown, but the shreds are still pretty much intact.  Next free day I'm going to pull it out,  put it in the compost pile, and go back to woodchips. 

Shredded paper works much better in wormbeds than chicken coops, fyi.

Zone 8b.
pybryce
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 06:17:15 AM »

OK, so that was a total failure.  After almost a month, the paper did soften up some, but was still in whole shreds for the most part.  The worst part is that the newspaper does nothing to control odor.  My coop usually smells like fresh wood chips, but after a couple of weeks with newspaper... well, you could tell it was a chicken coop.

Here's the state of the paper upon removal.  Hopefully the compost pile will take care of it:

So, other than the worm bed and compost pile, what can I do with all of that newspaper??

Zone 8b.
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:55:28 AM »

Thanks for the experiment PB.  Now I will not have to try that!

One thing we have going for us is we are woodworkers.  Once our shop is set back up we should have plenty of wood chips for the chicks.  Right now I am at the mercy of Tractor Supplu.

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
MOhillbilly
Grasshopper

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »

shredder paper is great for hog litter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: