The Bayou Gardener
November 26, 2014, 06:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worms, Worms and More Worms!  (Read 841 times)
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« on: February 01, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »

Today I decided to do a real close inspection of my worm bin.  I went down into it pretty well and used a lot of light.  I keep it on my carport on the North Side and it is pretty dark there even in midday.  As I was digging around I could see that the worms must be living a good life in there.  Baby worms and egg cocoons everywhere.  I was really impressed with their growth and expansion over this winter,  I keep them well fed with things like over ripe squash, cukes, lettuce and any greens I can manage to lay hold of.  I also give them a regular diet of tea and coffee grinds spiked with corn meal.  I am careful with the coffee in summer because it will turn a worm bin into a thermophilic compost pile if coffee is used too heavy.  It holds lots of good eating for a worm if it is mixed with other things like greens, carrots and squash.  

My bin is an 80 gallon tote with 20 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom.  I layered the bottom with 6 sheets of newspaper and then added plenty greens, damp shredded newspaper, cardboard and tea, coffee and shredded carrots.  I also added a gallon of peat mixed with everything.  I then filled the bin to the top with shredded pasteboard, cardboard and lots of newspaper.  I dampened it all well and mixed coffee grinds into the lower 2" of bedding.  When I feed the worms I always add the food to the 1" of bedding above the castings.  So far it has worked well and the castings are 12" deep in just 14 months.  The early operation was kind of slow starting as the worms and I had to figure out how to operate this bin.  It took me a while to get the food right and estimate the increase of worm population.  This winter, although extremely cold for us, is working out great.  In fact I am designing a new bin that will be in the 4'X8' range and 32" to 36" deep.  I am going to probably do a flow-thru,  but I will have to design and build a very reliable harvesting system as most of the ones out there are only partly reliable or fail after a while rendering the harvesting device useless.  

Worms are a very important part of gardening and also I want to use the worms for supplemental chicken feed.  Eventually I would like to have 120ft3 to 160ft3 of bin space.  I could use all the castings the worms can make,  and also with chickens and almost 4.5 acres of ponds,  worms can prove to be good for food and fishing. Not only that,  but I like keeping worms.  They are quiet, they stay put and they eat free stuff!    Grin Grin Grin

BTW,  these are the worms I received from Pat James at the Bayou Gardener Get-Together year before last.    Wink
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:57:33 PM by tbird » Logged

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
bordercollie
Top Gun

sw Madison county, central Mississippi

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »

That is great information T . Thank you for sharing. I would like to do that one day. The time I tried was half done and ants ruined my optimism. .   judy

southwest Madison County, Central Mississippi   (out from Jackson)
Zone 8A
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 05:05:14 PM »

Now that you mention it Judy,  another good thing about coffee grinds is that ants hate them and avoid them like the plague.   Wink

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
LakeRat1
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »

Thanks for the Info T, I need to start a Worm Bed,

Rat

North East Concordia Parish / Lake St John
bordercollie
Top Gun

sw Madison county, central Mississippi

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 08:26:06 PM »

Thanks T  ! I love that coffee and chicory - Smiley so will start saving them  for my garden and worm projects.  Smiley   judy

southwest Madison County, Central Mississippi   (out from Jackson)
Zone 8A
Maggie13
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »

I have a worm garden I keep it in my kitchen.

Somewhere between Zone 5A -4B in Knox NY
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »

My veggie garden is my worm garden!!  Grin

Curtis

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
pknowles
A Gardener

"Gardening is the best form of therapy"

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:05:18 PM »

Thanks for the info T. I have a small bed that used to be a compost pile, but now it's too shaded for that now, and while digging around in there the other day, I noticed that I have lots of little worms. Now that I know what to feed them, guess I'll start a worm bed and move compost pile to a sunny spot.  Grin

P

Peggy K     Zone 8b   Troybilt Bronco Tiller  20x25ft garden space & many containers I'm experimenting with
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »

My worm bin is under my rabbit cages

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
cornbread
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »

Thank you for sharing T.