The Bayou Gardener
September 30, 2014, 04:55:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting seeds for the 2014 spring garden  (Read 1459 times)
davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 09:27:19 AM »

I started a bunch around Christmas like I do every year, and another round last week. Already have pepper and eggplants about 4" to 6" tall in greenhouse...

Massey Ferguson 231, Nolt's RB-448 Mulch Layer, Countyline Tiller 6', Leinbach 60" Bedder, Earthway Seeder, Hatfield Transplanter, Countyline Middlebuster, Countyline Subsoiler, Countyline Cultivator, Rhino 60

Willis, Tx
Grinder
Grasshopper

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »

Willie,  Thank You,  J T Grinder

1975 FarmallCub Tractor, 1984 TroyBilt Horse tiller, Hoss wheel hoe, Hoss Seed Planter, Hoss Attachments, Cub disc plow , Cub Disc
pepperman
Top Gun

Mark and Kate

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »

Wille,
   Nice plants and set up. Here at home we are expecting snow tomorrow and single digit temperatures all next week. Most likely I'll be starting plants in March. Will be here before you know it.   Mark

Liverpool New York Troybuilt Tiller 3prong cultivators hand shovels
 ZONE 4  upstate New York
http://peppermansgarden.blogspot.com/
jnlp33
Grasshopper

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 01:08:59 PM »

I started a bunch of drought tolerant flowers on Tuesday and by Thursday the cosmos were already up!  On Wednesday I started all of my pepper, tomatoes and herbs.  One of my peppers sprouted this morning.  I bought a heat mat and I think the warm soil has definitely helped.  My husband views my veggie garden as a hobby and my money to support my hobby comes from Christmas/birthday/Mother's Day presents of money.  One Valentine's day present was a gift of chicken manure from Lowes (lots of it) and I was a happy lady.  Well this year I spent my Christmas money buying and setting up a grow station.  It's fabulous and I'm using it to start my seeds even though it's currently in the upper 70's outside.  It's a new toy and I want to play with it!

Jacqueline
rhashell
Top Gun

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »

Great minds think alike. That 's the same setup I have Willie! I start them there in little plug trays and then as they get bigger and the temps get warmer I move to the greenhouse. I figure no sense in wasting money to heat the greenhouse if I don't need to. You are right about the grow lights I did a test last year to see and I couldn't tell a differance in the plants as long as you keep that light very near the plants.

keep gardenin'  ! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: