The Bayou Gardener
August 28, 2014, 08:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greenhouse Panels  (Read 1613 times)
philsla
Grasshopper

« on: August 22, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

Polycarbonate vs. PVC panels

I want to put a more permanent type roof on my little shed greenhouse and looked at the Home Depot/Lowes panels. I see the PVC lower priced panels and the more expensive polycarbonate. Since I have never used either of these products, I was looking for advice on how they hold up and if the more expensive panels pay for themselves in the long run. Anyone have suggestions or comments?

Thanks!!!

Phil  Grin
Alblancher
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:28 AM »

Where are you located?  Would twin wall or tri wall panels be appropriate for cold weather?

Sharing my time between Slidell and Thomas Louisiana
Possum
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »

Polycarbonate is the better choice.

Ford 5600, Cub 140, Kubota B-8200 Orchard and greenhouse on 10 acres in South Louisiana
Dragonfly
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »

Polycarbonate is more durable and does not yellow like lbc nor become as brittle overtime.

Jennings, LA (Zone 8b-9a) Retired Research Engineer [Getting use to it]
Kubota L3240, 5' Bushog, 5' KingKutter II tiller, Homemade Hipper & Middlebuster, cultivator, 50 gal sprayer
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:43:56 AM »

Polycarbonate is stronger and more durable but without a good protective UV coating it will yellow and crack after a while.  Double or triple wall/cell will save you a fortune on keeping it warmer in the winter.  Some people actually spray a thin coat of a good white paint over the top of polycarbonate panels for diffusing light and to aid in protecting the panel from UV damage.  

Here's a good link about panels. 

http://www.sundancesupply.com/FAQPolycarbonate.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:48:58 AM by tbird » Logged

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
James150
Master Gardener

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »

Polycarbonate vs. PVC panels

I want to put a more permanent type roof on my little shed greenhouse and looked at the Home Depot/Lowes panels. I see the PVC lower priced panels and the more expensive polycarbonate. Since I have never used either of these products, I was looking for advice on how they hold up and if the more expensive panels pay for themselves in the long run. Anyone have suggestions or comments?

Thanks!!!

Phil  Grin

I have had polycarbonate twin and triple wall panels up north in zone 4B for about 15 years.  No problems with yellowing, cracking or anything else.  If you have the money, buy Polycarbonate. 

That said, my new greenhouse uses "solexx" panels.  Looks much like milky corrigated plastic.  Benefits (5mm) twinwall comes in rolls that you can ship UPS (BIG Big Benefit).  Flexibile and easy to install (with pole barn screws) and the whitish color diffuses light really nicely.  Finally, it's cheaper than Polycarbonate by a pretty good margin.  Most of the price of Polycarbonate for me was in the crating and shipping costs.  I don't like that you can't see through it like Polycarbonate but that's why I added a few windows to my new greenhouse.  Give the Solexx a look, might just be the ticket!

Regards,

Jim

John Deere 2720, loader, mower, 5' tiller, 5' gyro, 5' box scraper, 1 row cultivator, 1 row hipper, middle buster,  Rokon MotorTractor, 5 Gallons of sweat. and now . . .1999 Massey Ferguson 1255.   May 2014 1948 Allis Chalmers Model G.

Faith grows flowers, I grow stuff to EAT!

Click for weather forecast
philsla
Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I figured there was a reason for the higher priced poly. I am in South Louisiana so cold deep winters are not a problem. I would like to use something that will last longer than greenhouse plastic and possibly withstand some tropical storm type winds when they blow through from time to time.
philsla
Grasshopper

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »

Well, after discussions here and much thought, I pulled the trigger and did it. New roof on the greenhouse. Done all by my lonesome. After much trial and error, I came up with a system that allowed me to do the job. I know it is going to be better than the greenhouse plastic it replaced. Now I can complete my sealing it up and finishing the inside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: