The Bayou Gardener
September 22, 2014, 03:09:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dehydrated tomatoes turning black  (Read 966 times)
Pjames
Top Gun

« on: July 04, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »

I've seen it before on a few pieces but this time it looks like 75% or better has turned black Is this an indication of variety of tomato or something I am doing differently? Tasting them I can not tell a difference. they taste like like dried up tomato.

Shreveport, La

small backyard organic gardener using home-made compost and vermi-castings,

Life is like a jar of jalapenos.....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »

I've had some peppers turn black before.  This was when I was using a round dryer that delivered more heat to the bottom trays.  The bottom ones were over done and the top trays were perfect.  Since then I've read that you're supposed to shuffle the trays one or more times during the process to achieve more even exposure.  I believe that was the reason because I haven't had that happen with the Excaliber.

My dried tomatoes are a stiff leather like consistency and they do darken some.  I keep them in the freezer.  For a long time I was afraid to trust them to room temps.  Now I keep the bag I'm using from in the cabinet and the others still in the freezer.

MS Coast
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: