The Bayou Gardener
September 01, 2014, 04:24:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Kill Some Stink Bugs  (Read 1578 times)
mike
Top Gun

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »

Soap and water kills the squash bugs and stink bugs, evertime I go in the garden I bring my spray just in case a brave Squash bug or Stink bug there to enter my garden, works better then the permethin.

I enjoy just watching them fall to the ground. I know what to use on them next year.

Mike

Mike
Gramercy, La

Retired
Square Foot Gardening, Starting to do more Organic Gardening, Tools: Hoe, Shovel, Rake. Crops: Tomatoes, Okra, Bell Pepper, Corn, Summer Squash, Pole Beans, Blackberry, Asparagus, Eggplant, Strawberries, Lettuce, Shallots and Mirliton. Email: mjweber54@mac.com Garden Size 20ft x 30ft
LP
Master Gardener

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »

What ratio do you use?  And do you use dawn concentrate?  Found some stink bugs on the watermelons yesterday that I need to kill.

1972 Ford 3000  6' CL Tiller, Brush Hog, Disc, & Box Blade
1973 Farmall 140 Cultivators, Hillers, Fertilizer, Disk, & Planter.  Hoss cultivator and planter. Earthway Planter.
2002 Scag Tiger Cub (best money I ever spent)
mike
Top Gun

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

I use Green Works Dish Washing Liquid, not sure how much I use, maybe a 1/4 cup in my 1 quart sprayer.

It has been found if these bugs come into physical contact with dish soap, this can be extremely paralyzing, if not lethal, for them. There is something about the chemical composition of dish soap that has been proven to be harmful to these bugs. But there is one caveat though: Stink bugs have a protective "armor" - an exoskeleton that gives them their characteristic "reptilian" look. This armor is seemingly impervious to the dish soap. The soap is only harmful to the bug if it comes into contact with its underside, where all of its organs are. So you can be looking down at a stink bug and spraying it with a bottle of dish soap all you want, and it won't have any effect on it (except that it might get a little slippery for the bug.)

Mike
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:52:44 PM by mike » Logged

Mike
Gramercy, La

Retired
Square Foot Gardening, Starting to do more Organic Gardening, Tools: Hoe, Shovel, Rake. Crops: Tomatoes, Okra, Bell Pepper, Corn, Summer Squash, Pole Beans, Blackberry, Asparagus, Eggplant, Strawberries, Lettuce, Shallots and Mirliton. Email: mjweber54@mac.com Garden Size 20ft x 30ft
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 08:30:19 AM »

I use Dawn ultra concentrate at 1.5 - 2 TBSP per gallon of water. You have to spray it right on them, but it kills them. Like Mike said, you need get it on their under side to kill them quick! Permethrin is my backup if they get too many out there for me to kill with Dawn. Caution- if you mix Dawn too strong, it will burn the leaves on your pepper plants!! Don't ask me how I figured that out!!!
I have a personal vendetta against these devils!!

Curtis

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
LP
Master Gardener

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »

So its like what y'all told me for corn.  Just wanted to make sure.  They are on my watermelons now.  I think I have had about every bug and varmint attack my growing a this year!

1972 Ford 3000  6' CL Tiller, Brush Hog, Disc, & Box Blade
1973 Farmall 140 Cultivators, Hillers, Fertilizer, Disk, & Planter.  Hoss cultivator and planter. Earthway Planter.
2002 Scag Tiger Cub (best money I ever spent)
GardenNovice
Grasshopper

~ Always Learning ~ Zone Hot as Heck! (8b)

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »

I've had an all out assault on my garden in the past three weeks... Some critter bit into all my cantaloupes, and most of my watermelons. My squash and leaf miners didn't start until this past week and they went nuts. I ended up pulling all my tomato plants, they weren't producing any longer any way, I am hoping that knocks them down and I am praying they do not migrate to my persimmon tree which is loaded right now...

I generally use Dawn/Water mix. I tried liquid sevin, but that just made em' laugh at me. Dawn kills them quick. You just can't spray it in the heat of the day.... I find you have to wash it off before the heat of the day begins because it burns the leaves. Though I have yet to see them on my peppers.

Houston,Tx (Zone 8b-9a) Independent Christian Author
www.awtj.org
grem
Master Gardener

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »

I garden on a smaller scale than most of you but I keep a solo cup filled with soapy water in the garden.  When I walk through the plants (morning and evening) I delight in thumping the stink bugs into the soapy water.  Fun to watch them struggle.
mphymel
Top Gun

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »

I've had an all out assault on my garden in the past three weeks... Some critter bit into all my cantaloupes, and most of my watermelons. My squash and leaf miners didn't start until this past week and they went nuts. I ended up pulling all my tomato plants, they weren't producing any longer any way, I am hoping that knocks them down and I am praying they do not migrate to my persimmon tree which is loaded right now...

I generally use Dawn/Water mix. I tried liquid sevin, but that just made em' laugh at me. Dawn kills them quick. You just can't spray it in the heat of the day.... I find you have to wash it off before the heat of the day begins because it burns the leaves. Though I have yet to see them on my peppers.

If those bites are punctures where you can see the individual teeth marks, it is probably coons, mice will burrow right in, squirrels will gnaw, deer will make half moon bite marks and long scars (i guess with their hooves)

I was going to try pepper spray but never grew either for the past two years.

Covington, LA
Not so old NH TC40DA, Old wizard front tine rigged up with a Honda motor,  Earthway planter, biodiesel, honey bees, chickens, who knows what's next...
Davidx357
Top Gun

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »

Philsla,

Bayer make an insectacide, seems to work like Triazicide.  I see it everywhere.

Eat Sleep Fish   

Baton Rouge and Chauvin, La.
mphymel
Top Gun

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »

Y'all this is my plan for next year, I will try to get one of those foaming hand soap bottles,  and shoot a glob of suds right above them. I did this with the bottom of my garden sprayer and they crawled through the foam and it was stiff enough to collect around them and was more effective than spraying with the watery soap solution.

Had quite a bit of fun nailing them, I have to admit!

Covington, LA
Not so old NH TC40DA, Old wizard front tine rigged up with a Honda motor,  Earthway planter, biodiesel, honey bees, chickens, who knows what's next...
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »

That sounds like fun!!! Keep us posted on how it goes. We could make some videos of stink bug killing or maybe even have us a contest!  Wink

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: