The Bayou Gardener
October 21, 2014, 04:56:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Truly Stringless Pole Beans  (Read 1843 times)
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:32 AM »

There was a thread a couple years ago where we were discussing TRULY string-less pole beans. I think we only came up with one which was Blue Lake pole beans. I now have another one to add. Fortex green beans! I am growing them now and have picked 11 inch beans and they are COMPLETELY string-less and tender. Taste is good too! just thought I'd throw this out there and let y'all know. I'm going to save seeds again this year (LORD willing). I need next to see how well they handle this SETX heat during the summer..... Will let you all know how that goes.....

GOD Bless
Curtis

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
mhpgardener
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »

Hey Curtis, that's my favorite variety for pole snaps. I've grown them in the greenhouses a few times and they are excellent. I have about 70 ft planted outside this year. Hopefully they produce just as well. As you said, there's no evidence of string anywhere.

It is one thing to earn the money to put food on the table, it is yet another to produce the food itself.
Southern Virginia
http://www.youtube.com/user/mhpgardener
reartinetiller
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

Curtis we need pics of the pole bean set up.  Roy

Cub Cadet GT1554, Troy Bilt reartine tiller, Troy Bilt two cyle tiller, Earthway planter, Brush mower,two dogs and a lovely wife with a hoe who knows how to use it.

Central Illinois Zone 5
Alblancher
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »

I believe I read somewhere that keeping them well watered also helps reduce the amount of string on them.  Has anyone else heard this?

Sharing my time between Slidell and Thomas Louisiana
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:05:41 PM »

Curtis we need pics of the pole bean set up.  Roy

Ok Roy. Will try to get photos tomorrow. Put it on my agenda for the day. Will try to get entire garden (weeds and all)  Wink

Curtis

Zone 9
Lumberton, Texas
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 08:41:11 PM »

I'm having my first go at pole beans this year and so far I'm liking them.  They're just starting to set beans so the jury is still out.  If they turn out to be a real space saver I'll look for Forex for next year.  I've always shied away because the ones in the stores look so big and tough.

MS Coast
Sheila
Master Gardener

Retired

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 08:48:05 PM »

Oh wow! Where can I get them?

We LOVE green beans, I have tons of the Blue Lake, but sure would like to try the Fortex too. I have heard of them, but never knew anyone that planted them.

mhp I must have missed yours!!!!

Southern Maryland, Amish country.
Zone 7A
cindyintexas
Master Gardener

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »

Looking forward to hearing how they do in the Texas heat.  I need a bean that is easy to see and it doesn't hurt if you let them get a bit longer for those days that I have 100 other things going on and am not able to pick like I should.

Liked the Rattlesnake pole beans you suggested last year.  I know they have strings but when it is 200 degrees outside and you can't get another bean to set you will take anything you can get.   Grin

South Texas
Zone 9
Gardening on 3/4 acres, and wishing it was all garden. 
Dreaming of the day we can move to the 200 acres.  Four year plan!!!!
Work from home wife and mom while homeschooling our 2 sons.
Hippie Willie
A Gardener

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:06 PM »

I will be trying these, Thanks Curtis.

Avoyelles Parish -- Cottonport, Louisiana

SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »

At Roy's request, here is a photo. These were only 9-10 inches, not quite the 11 incher I measured earlier.

http://s1084.photobucket.com/user/cwbloodw/media/2013%20Pics/WP_20130603_001_zpsb3c1be3d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

You can also see how big Gardenias can grow in SETX. This is the plant that I took cuttings off of and brought to the get together this past year. This one needs to be fertilized and cut back. It's about 30 years old.

Curtis
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:22:31 PM by SETEX_GARDENER » Logged

Zone 9
Lumberton, Texas
Rajun Gardener
Master Gardener

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »

Try that again Curtis, I want to see how you have them trellised. I ate some last night and plan to plant a few more seeds in a week or so.

Lafayette La

Rob
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »

Ok, added pics to the link previously posted. If you click arrows on left side of picture of me in the chair, you should see photos of trellis from both sides.

Zone 9
Lumberton, Texas
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:05 PM »

They have big leaves.  Maybe that will help shade the flowers so they'll set more beans as the heat cranks up. 

MS Coast
Rajun Gardener
Master Gardener

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

I have some growing after seeing your post from last year and they're not even trying to grow up the trellis I put up, I may have to try to string them up or maybe I got hustled on Ebay. Thanks for the new pics, the trellis looks like it's working great, I'll follow you on that design.

Lafayette La

Rob
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 07:39:54 PM »

Were the seeds dark brown colored? That's what mine are. No runners at all, or they just not grabbing the trellis? Some of mine needed a little assistance where I had to train them to the trellis. I would just wrap them around the trellis then next day, they were grabbing hold. Let me know what color your seeds were. We may not have the same plant.

Curtis

Zone 9
Lumberton, Texas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: