The Bayou Gardener
November 25, 2014, 03:50:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Purple Hull Peas. Still Time To Plant???  (Read 1174 times)
texasguineaman
Grasshopper

« on: May 23, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »

Hello everyone. Just wondering if i can plant purple hulls? Pulled up a good crop of onions and fixing to dig potatoes next few days. Will have some space for them. Is it to late?? Zone 8b between Houston and San Antonio.

Columbus Tx. zone 8b L2500 Kubota w/fel,5ft shredder,Old ariens reartine tiller,Mantis tiller,LT150JD Riding Mower,Stihl chainsaw and weedeater. Lots of sand,yaupon,live oaks and deer.
purplehullpaul
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »

texas i'll be planting them steady thru the third week in june then trying to get a second crop off some i harvest in july.  i'm almost due east of you in zone 8b.

Zone 8b
Monroe
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »

I'm up here in zone 8a I have some already up but going to plant two more rows to follow spinach and cabbage. You should be ok. Right now your night temp is about what we are up here.....Monroe

15 acres in Tx. zone 8A B2400 Kubota W/FEL, 5ft bush hog tiller, 5ft bush hog finish mower, middle buster, cultivator, 5ft rear blade 5hp wizard tiller, 2cy tiller,1940 B Allis w/ cultivator and planter, 51 WD Allis 1939 B Allis and 9N Ford waiting for restoration.
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »

In San Antonio you can plant Southern Peas into mid July.    Wink

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
Hoytman
Master Gardener

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »

I thought about planting my TPPEPHP's today, but it was cool and there were calling for cooler and we got it.  It's about 60-65F at 10:30pm.  I've read on here  that they like heat. 

So, how long should I wait to plant? 
Better yet, what's the best soil temp to plant them in?

Just a few more questions about those peas...

I'm runnin' 80' rows and I'm wanting plenty to eat and at least enough for a couple pounds of seed (I currently have 5lbs. of seed).  I am considering a double row about 4-8 inches apart with bean spacing at a close random (I caught Donalds thread where he said the thicker they are the taller they grow, the easier they are to pick Grin) and I might even consider a couple of triple rows instead of doubles.  How far apart do the rows need to be?  I have 2 reartine tillers to cultivate with and really, once they're grown I don't need/want much space/bare dirt in order to pick them.  Of course, I have a 35x40 garden here at my house that I could plant the entire garden in those peas...and I might just do it.  One things for sure...if I don't like them you guys/gals won't have to buy any seed next year. 

Bill
SW, Ohio
Zone 5b/6a

"Plant according to the directions and ask God for the increase."  - Rev. Riley Parker

Without the increase...HIS blessings...the directions are useless.
purplehullpaul
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:52:55 PM »

Hoyt, I'm guestimating here but I believe I used about 1.5 pounds (give or take) on each 225 foot row of mine.  Now, it might be 1.5lbs and it could even be 2.0 pounds per row - just a rough estimate.  5 lbs of seed should be enough to plant a LOT of peas.  I planted about 3.5 to 5.0 lbs of seed a year for a long time and would get anywhere from 35 to 50 + quarts of peas put up depending on how much moisture the ground had.  The more rain you get the fuller the peas will be so your harvest (in quarts stored) could vary a bit from my experience. 

Zone 8b
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 07:56:30 PM »

Hoytman,  plant them 4" apart.  Some plant 3" and that does fine too.  I plant 10 wide sometimes on a 4' wide row top.  Each 10 plant row is 6 inches apart spaced down the row.  That makes for roughly 2400 plants in a 4'X120' row.  The 4" allows you to get a foot in between the interior plants and kind of shuffle it down the row so you don't step on any plants.  At 3" I would have to be a lot more careful.     Wink

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
Hoytman
Master Gardener

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 06:37:55 AM »

I thought about planting my TPPEPHP's today, but it was cool and there were calling for cooler and we got it.  It's about 60-65F at 10:30pm.  I've read on here  that they like heat. 

So, how long should I wait to plant? 
Better yet, what's the best soil temp to plant them in?

Correction for last night's temps...it got down into the lower 40's last night according to last nights forecast.  Only supposed to be in the middle to upper 60's through Memorial Day weekend and then it supposed to get into the mid 80's I think.

I'm just worried about the soil temps being a bit cold yet.  Then again of course, it rained in yesterday and unless the sun stays out for the next 3 days like it shining right now and the wind keep blowing, I won't be able to get back in the garden at least until Saturday or maybe even Sunday.  I'm just think that if I can back in there by the weekend, and it warms back up I might get by with planting them.  Then again, it's not like I don't have enough seed to replant, just hate replanting.  I'm going back to Pap's today and I will take my soil thermometer with me and just see how warm the soil is.

Bill
SW, Ohio
Zone 5b/6a

"Plant according to the directions and ask God for the increase."  - Rev. Riley Parker

Without the increase...HIS blessings...the directions are useless.
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »

texasguineaman  you can plant PHPs all summer as long as you have 70-80 days (that's from planting to harvest) before your first killing frost.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
texasguineaman
Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:47 PM »

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Went to the feed store yesterday. Ask about purple hull seed. They had a pink eye purple hull?? bought 1/2#. Same thing as everybody else plants or not?

Columbus Tx. zone 8b L2500 Kubota w/fel,5ft shredder,Old ariens reartine tiller,Mantis tiller,LT150JD Riding Mower,Stihl chainsaw and weedeater. Lots of sand,yaupon,live oaks and deer.
LakeRat1
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »

Texas, as Donald says, you can plant them from now to frost, the only thing about summer planting is you need to be able to get water to them, if you have drip tape, you can plant in dry dirt, drip them and in about 3 day they will be looking at you in the hot summer time, they come up faster than any bean i have ever seen,

LakeRat

North East Concordia Parish / Lake St John
purplehullpaul
Top Gun

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Went to the feed store yesterday. Ask about purple hull seed. They had a pink eye purple hull?? bought 1/2#. Same thing as everybody else plants or not?

Pink eye PHP is a good pea.  I've planted lots of those in the past.  Now they have the "Quick Pick" or "Top Pick" that everyone's wanting - most of the peas form higher up on the plant - easier to pick.  Pink Eye is a very good pea though. 

Zone 8b
Dmzauk
Grasshopper

The Cat Daddy

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »

Could someone lead me in the right direction to buy some PHP online? A good source/supplier. I only need about 20 - 25 seeds so I guess I'll have to buy what a packet of 150 - 250? That'll last a long time for me.....years - LOL

Thanks guys.

EDIT - A kind gentleman (Tbird) responded through PM and offered to send me some to get started.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 05:49:30 PM by Dmzauk » Logged

Zone 7b
LakeRat1
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »

If you treat those see right, it will be like getting a start of Sour Dough Bread Starter!! out of each planting let a couple of the Nice Looking peas dry on the vine, them harvest them & you have fresh seed, of you can  cook them like dried beans,

Rat

North East Concordia Parish / Lake St John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: