The Bayou Gardener
December 19, 2014, 01:39:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corn---Corn????  (Read 1448 times)
ben
Top Gun

« on: February 13, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »

Merit and Miirai (pronounced me-rye Japanese name "was developed in the U.S.") are my favorite varieties of Corn.  My late mother was allways a believer in G90.

Merit I can get locally but have to order Mirai.  Miraihas been my favorite for last few years.  It is a super sweet corn, you can eat it in the field it's so tinder.  Almost heat and eat.  Directions-- Boil, not over 2 minutes.  It is so crisp and tender I can eat it with my 30 year old dentures.  It only comes in packages of 100 seeds. 

I tried to buy at lease 1/4 pound,  but the only way they would sell it was by the individual seed packet.  I asked Johnny at the local Valley Farmers Co-op about selling by the seed count.  He said that due to the different sizes of seeds, the seed suppliers are now selling what used to be 50# and 100# sacks by the seed 87,000 or 40,000 or 30,000 seeds --not by the pound as in the past. Not that I would ever use even a 50# sack again.

Have any of you notice this change in selling of corn seeds??

Any comments
Thanks
Ben

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:11:57 PM by ben » Logged

Northwest Louisiana zone borderline 8a-8b
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »

I think its been several yrs now corn is sold by the seed count instead of lb. Some say it was a way to charge more but most likely its because seed size has changed and now more seed is in the typical weight bags. I still get sweet corn in lb bags though.

Amanda,OH
bigboberta
Top Gun

Keep Christ In Christmas

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:56 AM »

At my local seed & feed the only sweet corn available is Merit or G90.  They are still selling it by the pound.  He did tell me that Merit used to be cheaper than G90, but this year Merit is more expensive.  I paid $ 12 a lb. for G90 and $12.50 a lb. for Merit.

Bob

Greensburg (Easleyville) St. Helena Parish, LA
2 1/2 Acres

Zone 8a or 8b now.
Retired Firefighter

1952 35 HP Gas Allis Chalmer  WD ,    2008 Mahindra 3525 35 HP Diesel, 
2011 Land Master LM 400 Utility Vehicle,  John Deere 42" Riding Lawn Mower, 50" Exmark Zero Turn Mower, Woods RD60 5' Finish Mower.

Stevens Garden Package,  Stevens Deluxe Row Hippers, County Line Middle Buster, 6 1/2' United Tandem Disc Harrow , United Dirt scoop 30", 6' County Line Tiller.

Earthway 1001-b Precision Seeder with 1500 side dress attachment,  Hatfield Planter, Hoss Wheeled Hoe and Planter. Stand n Plant Seeder, Stand n Plant Planter.
Moondog
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »

We pop them shuck and all right in the microwave.... good eathing.

0 Days  to retirement - Now what.
Zone 6b Evarts,Ky.

Trying to simplify your life is one of the most important things you can do.
LP
Master Gardener

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:56 AM »

I read on here the other day about all the genetically modified corn the other day.  The post had an attachment as corn being one of the worst foods you could eat.  Are the Merit and G 90 corn like that?  Are there any old heirloom types of corn seed that taste good?

1972 Ford 3000  6' CL Tiller, Brush Hog, Disc, & Box Blade
1973 Farmall 140 Cultivators, Hillers, Fertilizer, Disk, & Planter.  Hoss cultivator and planter. Earthway Planter.
2002 Scag Tiger Cub (best money I ever spent)
corl
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »

None of the easily purchased sweet corn varieties are GMO.

I will try Mirai corn this year, both yellow and white, for the first time. I had requests at the farmers market for it last year. Supposed to have SU,SE and sh2 components in one ear of corn. Supposedly only need to cook it a few minutes to make it hot. Should be good in the microwave as well.

Only time will tell if the hype is true. It will get sold for a premium.

Dave
SE, Pa  USDA Zone 6b
www.nunamakerfarms.com
Tweet  @nunamakerfarms
www.facebook.com/NunamakerFarmsLLC

Kubota MX5100 HST tractor with loader 42.5 PTO hp
Kubota F2100 with 60" mower deck and snow plow
Phoenix 74 in rototiller
middle buster
Troybilt pony rototiller
Earthway planter
Ted's Garden Bedder GB70
Phoenix 84 inch finish mower
bigboberta
Top Gun

Keep Christ In Christmas

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »

G90 and merit corn are Hybred corn, not GMO's.  Hybred's are cross pollinated with other of the same species to achieve an end product.  GMO's have genes of totally different species spliced to them to achieve an end result.  Maybe someone here can explain it better, but there is a big difference between the two.

Bob

Greensburg (Easleyville) St. Helena Parish, LA
2 1/2 Acres

Zone 8a or 8b now.
Retired Firefighter

1952 35 HP Gas Allis Chalmer  WD ,    2008 Mahindra 3525 35 HP Diesel, 
2011 Land Master LM 400 Utility Vehicle,  John Deere 42" Riding Lawn Mower, 50" Exmark Zero Turn Mower, Woods RD60 5' Finish Mower.

Stevens Garden Package,  Stevens Deluxe Row Hippers, County Line Middle Buster, 6 1/2' United Tandem Disc Harrow , United Dirt scoop 30", 6' County Line Tiller.

Earthway 1001-b Precision Seeder with 1500 side dress attachment,  Hatfield Planter, Hoss Wheeled Hoe and Planter. Stand n Plant Seeder, Stand n Plant Planter.
rhashell
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »

As of now GMO crops are not even readily available to the home gardener!!! Beware of all the no spray corn it has the pesticide bread into it. We had a amish man selling it at market, he raise acres and acres. The market manager put a stop to it. The pesticide causes the insecs stomach to burst open, wonder why we have so many gastro issues these days.

keep gardenin'  ! Smiley
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »

As of now GMO crops are not even readily available to the home gardener!!! Beware of all the no spray corn it has the pesticide bread into it. We had a amish man selling it at market, he raise acres and acres. The market manager put a stop to it. The pesticide causes the insecs stomach to burst open, wonder why we have so many gastro issues these days.
They sold GMO at the market I sold at last summer. The boys selling it made good. They averaged 800 doz every Sat morn. County folks didn't care at it was GMO. Boys selling were big time grain farmers that everybody knew. We couldn't give away our hybrid

Amanda,OH
ben
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »

LP I did some Internet searches on your question. Corl and Bob made some interesting posts. I did not know the answer to your question.  They did good job, However I am going to post anyway because it is some good information on GMO seeds at these links.

List of non gmo suppliers at "The Non-GMO SourceBook"
http://www.nongmosourcebook.com/non-gmosourcebook/nongmoseedscornsoybeanssuppliers.php

G90 organic seeds

All of our corn seeds are heirlooms or hybrid varieties. We do NOT knowingly have any Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) corn seeds. See our safe seed pledge! Some corn varieties may have a red powder on the outside to increase yield and protect from wet soil.
http://www.ufseeds.com/Corn_9c7f320dbc01d0b1962bc3af870.html

Merit Seed non-GMO sources

Merit Seed
PO Box 205
Berlin, OH  44610
Phone: 330-893-2338
Fax: 330-893-2219
info@meritseed.com
 www.meritseed.com
Products: Certified organic seed including corn, alfalfa, timothy, clover, and orchard grass
http://www.nongmosourcebook.com/non-gmosourcebook/nongmocompany.php?company=Merit Seed

Ben

Northwest Louisiana zone borderline 8a-8b
LP
Master Gardener

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »

Sounds like I don't really have to worry about getting GMO corn.  I will see what they have at the feed store. Thanks for the info.

1972 Ford 3000  6' CL Tiller, Brush Hog, Disc, & Box Blade
1973 Farmall 140 Cultivators, Hillers, Fertilizer, Disk, & Planter.  Hoss cultivator and planter. Earthway Planter.
2002 Scag Tiger Cub (best money I ever spent)
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »

Actually buying the GMO corn isn't hard at all. I could have bought it last yr if I had wanted to shell out the 450.00+ for a bag of it. Problem is sellers aren't allowed to bust down a bag for small sales.

Amanda,OH
Pjames
Top Gun

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »

I have never grown corn before, but I am considering getting ahold of some sweet corn just to see how they do in my new aquaponics system I am setting up..

Shreveport, La

small backyard organic gardener using home-made compost and vermi-castings,

Life is like a jar of jalapenos.....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: