The Bayou Gardener
October 25, 2014, 07:53:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cov planter  (Read 2111 times)
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« on: November 27, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »

need help on Covington planter,  rear press wheels keep sliding and u know it quit planting, I have done a lot of adjustment's some better now. the chain is not to tight. if any one use's one can u help me. thanks grape grower.
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

If I'm thinking correctly here your planter has the press wheel that also drives the planter. If it is sliding alot it could possibly be your hitch is not letting it float. If you are using it on a 3pt hitch setup the control should be set for full down.

Amanda,OH
ol hippie
Master Gardener

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »

Make sure the dirt scraper is not tight against the wheel. Double check that chain and make sure it's lubed. Most times it will be the chain. Covington planters are good planters but they can be contrary at times. I have walked many a mile behind them as a kid to keep Daddy from having to get off the tractor. Also check your adjustment on your clacker rod to make sure it's not hitting real hard. Hope this may be some help.

Don

South-Central Alabama ( Retired )

Massey Ferguson 231S Tractor and most farming implements to pull behind it.
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »

hey don read ur post u may have hit on something, it is kinda strong sounding, u are talking about the rod that contacts the sprocket every revolution aren't u. man I really love this planter,  thanks for the help man, gerald
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

hey top gun,read ur post I have to learn more on this forum how to talk back to u, don't know if i'm doing this correctly, yes I am using a 3 pt hitch are u talking about the draft control, I use a Kubota tractor 3010 I try to keep it level as I can and the lift all way down on tractor, I found out to adjust the top center link to tilt back some helps. that puts more pressure on press wheels, butt don't cure it all the time, thanks ga grape grower

AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »

Your lift and draft lever should be in the full down position. If you are leveling the planter with the draft lever it could be taking some weight off the press wheels. I would rig the hitch to run the planter level with both levers full down.

Amanda,OH
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »

yall should see the watering tank I installed on cultivators, cant wait to try out, ga grape man
ol hippie
Master Gardener

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »

Gerald, yes that's the rod. Even adjusted to hit lightly, it will still put out plenty of fertilizer.

Don

ol hippie
Master Gardener

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »

Gerald, your planters should float up and down with the lay of the land. Just the weight of the planter should turn the wheel. If you going in a little un even ground, you should be able to see the back of planter rise and fall from the cultivator frame.

Don
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 06:36:24 AM by ol hippie » Logged

ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:02:54 PM »

old hippie and top gun thanks for the information,that makes a lot of sense, ga grape grower
ol hippie
Master Gardener

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 06:39:52 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the watering tank on your cultivators.

Don

ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:54 AM »

the bayou gardener got my wheels a turning, mounted 35 gallon tank on top of cultivators put a ball cock on tank with spring , had a old pto handle for dump truck.hooked wire to it and man it works good,plow and water at same time save fuel and labor.
ol hippie
Master Gardener

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 08:43:32 AM »

You've got me thinking now. I have 2 sets of cultivator frames. One, I have my covington planter on, and the other I have my covington sidedresser mounted on right side. May look at mounting a water tank on the left side. This year I used it like Donald; mounted on back of my Ranger.

Don

AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »

I can see a 35gal tank for liquid fertilizer but doesn't seem like that would go very far for watering. Last yr I was pondering buying a honey wagon 10,000gal and some said that wouldn't do much either.

Amanda,OH
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »

u will be surprised at how far that will go if u are putting rite where it needs to be, my garden is 200 by 35 feet I can water 3 rows going slowly in creep mode, gerald
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »

what did the bayou gardener show us at the end the most important ingredient after u plant, I really love to watch his video's he is a god's blessing to us all with his know how,
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 03:55:03 PM »

I have a mindset of planting stuff in terms of acres. So a few rows of something I can see it.
Also on most typical years here in Ohio the problem is the soil is always too wet and your waiting on it to get dry enough too plant. And then when it gets dry enough to plant rain will be back in a few days or just a few hours. Last yr was very unusual for us.

Amanda,OH
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

here in ga we are 15'' behind already man it dry here.
newbie57
Master Gardener

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 05:15:50 PM »

Ga grape grower, where you located in Ga. ? I am in Byron about 20 miles south of Macon.
Buddy

Byron, Ga.
Ford 2000 Tractor, One Row Covington Planter,  Boom Pole, Disk Harrow, Gravely Lawn Tractor, Front Tine Tiller, Small Garden Tiller , Earthway Planter, 5ft. Rotary Cutter and Cultivator.
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »

almost ur neighbor across the Ocmulgee river in jasper county.
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »

The Farmall Cub had an option to mount a 55gallon drum on the side for watering in transplants.

Amanda,OH
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »

lord I had a 52 sweet farmall cub with belly mower no garden attachments, my father in law tened 5 acres of garden with one makes a pretty garden,
ga grape grower
Grasshopper

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »

top gun is it dry ur way it awfull down here in the south.
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

We are drier than normal. The Nov monsoons did not come as of yet. I'm enjoying this mild dry weather to get some things done outside. However I hope this isn't a trend for yet anther dry year.

Amanda,OH
BruceC
Master Gardener

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 06:36:51 AM »

I had the same exact problem with my Covington.  There was lots and lots of good advice on the forum.  I tried it all and it ALL HELPED.  Mine stopped when I adjusted the top link so the press wheel touched first whenever I lowered the unit (by 'first' I mean a heck of a lot) and greasing the hell outa the whole machine and LOOSENING THE DRIVE CHAIN.  It still skips a little every now and again but not nearly as much after doing all the above.  I am still considering removing the press or drive wheel and taking it to the welding shop to have 'treads' welded on it (I'll have to lose the scraper though)   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: