The Bayou Gardener
August 27, 2014, 05:50:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to dig sweet potatoes  (Read 550 times)
beehappyfarm
Master Gardener

« on: October 28, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »

Can sweet potatoes stay in the ground during frost without it hurting them, or should they be dug before a frost hits?
Thanks!

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." -Proverbs 3:5-6
Stryker
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »

You can let frost kill the vine and the tumblers be fine. The soil temp is more of a problem for the tumblerss than air temp.

North Dakota
Zone 4a
1.5 acres, 3hp troy built tiller, Lawnmower with pull behind trailer
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »

I've read that sweet taters loose quality if kept in temps below 55 degrees so whatever you have to do to avoid that.  It's been very warm in the daytime across the South and I don't think the soil has cooled down that much yet. 

MS Coast
beehappyfarm
Master Gardener

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

Thanks. I have some late ones that I planted end of July that I had no idea if they would have time to produce. I dug some yesterday and couldn't believe it, they made better than my earlier ones! I just wasn't sure if I need to get them all dug or if they would be ok. Sounds like I better get to digging. We were down to 35 last night and will be tonight also. I sure wouldn't want to risk them going bad.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." -Proverbs 3:5-6
Pjames
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

I'm in the same boat..I dug a few potatoes last week, but the vines look like are still growing. Something has nibbled on the potatoes that I did dig up....little pock marked places.

Shreveport, La

small backyard organic gardener using home-made compost and vermi-castings,

Life is like a jar of jalapenos.....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
AlaRedNeck
Top Gun

Dead Center of Alabama-Zone 7b/8a

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »

I'm in the same boat..I dug a few potatoes last week, but the vines look like are still growing. Something has nibbled on the potatoes that I did dig up....little pock marked places.

Pjames, be warned.... the tree rats love sweet tators big time....they'll tote'm off if they can. and eat'm in safety elsewhere. Nothing more aggrevating then watching your taters go dancing through the treetops. Not a problem if you thin them out...the tree rats, that is.

Danny

"The truth is that farmers, as we all are, have no command of money. Our necessaries are all supplied, either from our farms, or a neighboring store. Our produce, at the end of the year, is delivered to the merchant, and thus the business of the year is done by barter, without the intervention of scarcely a dollar; and thus, also, we live with a plenty of everything except money."
-- Letter from Thomas Jefferson To William Duane (1811)
beehappyfarm
Master Gardener

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

This was one plant....

Stryker
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »

Those are some good looking sweetpotatoes.

North Dakota
Zone 4a
1.5 acres, 3hp troy built tiller, Lawnmower with pull behind trailer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: