The Bayou Gardener
October 02, 2014, 01:23:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best bait for catching raccoons in live trap.  (Read 2805 times)
wordman077
A Gardener

« on: June 07, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »

What is the best bait for catching raccoons in live trap? Anybody have any secerts to share? Huh?

Utica, KY - zone 6 - Western KY
Samcro
Master Gardener

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »

A cheep can of sardines ?

NRA life member
NRA certified range safety officer
Firearms safety instructor
Southern Hills of Tennessee, Zone 7-a,
Arms319
A Gardener

Zone 7a

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:27 AM »

I have always had good luck with cat food

2004 John Deere 5105 4x4 with FEL
7 ft. Brush Hog
6 ft. box blade
6 ft. tiller
Oldiron
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »

Blue tic hound and a tree. I guess a tree is a live trap.

" An expert is somebody who has killed at least 10,000 plants" Bob Webster. I ain't there yet but I'm workin' on it!

A few miles north of San Antonio Texas

John Deere LA115
Western Auto Atlas front tine tiller
Shovels, forks, hoes, and other implements of destruction
cropduster1968
Master Gardener

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »

Dry dog food works well for me.

zone 9 close to hell but great in the winter ;>)
whiskydog
Top Gun

Its Spring SomeWhere !!!

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »

Honey bun, cats won't bother it, coons love sweets..   Place the honey bun on the ground place the

trap trip lever over the honey bun smash down on the bun.  the coon has to work to get it.  break off bits

bun around the trap so they can get a taste..

To be a gardener, you must learn to dance to the music nature plays.  I'm doing the jerk and the monkey to a waltz right now..  Not unusual for me. 

Dallas, Georgia    zone 7
SweetMissDaisy
A Gardener

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »

I use chick feed.
Sounds strange, but everything else catches the farm cats. Wink

Central Texas, a HOT, dry zone 8a...
My Blog: http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com
Just the Farm Related Entries: http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/life_on_the_farm
Just the Garden Related Entries: http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/gardening
martinfarms
Grasshopper

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »

Marshmallows and bologna works for me.

NE Indiana
1953 Ford Jubilee w/ superior fel, Ford 8ft 3pt disc, Ford 3pt 2 bottom plow, 5ft rotary cutter, homemade hipper, homemade field cultivator, John Deere 1240 4 row planter
Ga/La/Gardener
A Gardener

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »

I use corn just plain ol corn,,,,never fails

Zebulon Ga. New holland LS180, 1940 9n ford tractor with 1950 8n motor,Sub soiler,potato plow,Cultivator,2 bottom plow,Kingkutter finish mower,Kingkutter bush hog,Merry tiller front tine, Craftsman rear tine,Wife,Cows,and Chickens,lots of land just none flat to farm
kuhlman187
Master Gardener

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »

I keep a deer feeder on the opposite side of my property from the garden. After the racoons figured out there was free food, i'd wait til about 12-1am on a friday night, kick on my outdoor flood lights and feed them lead. I setup a deer cam and one picture had 8 or 9 racoons on it, stopped feeling bad about shooting them that day. I throw the dead ones in the woods and they disappear fast.

Assassin Bug doing what they do best, assassinating!

Zone: 8/9 - City of Central, LA
10' x 50' garden
Dreaming of a John Deere Subcompact tractor.... one day =)
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »

Honey bun, cats won't bother it, coons love sweets..   Place the honey bun on the ground place the

trap trip lever over the honey bun smash down on the bun.  the coon has to work to get it.  break off bits

bun around the trap so they can get a taste..

peanut butter too...

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
craner450
Grasshopper

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »

We've had our best luck with tunafish or day old donuts & feed corn, peanut butter works good.
Greg

From the wilds of south Webster Parish,La
Zone 8a
whiskydog
Top Gun

Its Spring SomeWhere !!!

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »

I've had better success trapping coons with "Dog Proof" traps..  baited with marshmellows..

To be a gardener, you must learn to dance to the music nature plays.  I'm doing the jerk and the monkey to a waltz right now..  Not unusual for me. 

Dallas, Georgia    zone 7
ACrickRunsThroughIt
Master Gardener

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »

Dog-proof trap, marshmallow and a few drops of anise extract. If you're feeling generous, mix in some karo syrup with the anise. Cats and dogs don't care for this stuff.

1948 Farmall Cub with corn planter, plow, disc, etc.; 1965 Cub Lo-Boy with 42-inch Woods mower; Planet Jr., Hoss and Earthway seeders; Planet Jr. wheel hoes; Mantis and Troy-Bilt tillers; Garden Way Super Tomahawk Chipper Shredder and the 1947 Farmall B that taught me how to cultivate corn at age 10.

"People who count their chickens before they are hatched, act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately."
-- Oscar Wilde
Davidx357
Top Gun

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »

I have had great sucess with cat food.

Eat Sleep Fish   

Baton Rouge and Chauvin, La.
1tongarden
Top Gun

My little baby's

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »

Everytime i go back to one of my fishin spots i always see lots of coon tracks, pretty sure they been eatin all the dead or left behind bait.  Suckers and fathead minners

Minnesota  "Land of 10,000 Lakes"   Zone  3/4   1- Hoe   1 - 18"  Poulan pro  reartine tiller  1- Small 12" tiller (for weeds) and 1 hoe  total garden rasberry's and pumpkin patch is about 50x80 or so.
Redbug
Top Gun

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »

I am another sardine can baiter. Punch a few holes in the top of the tin, dribble a little oil inside the trap and set the tin on the trap pan or behind it if using only one door.

Around here, you can sell the coons for around $10, since they are good eating. Skin them out, leave the feet on and freeze them.

These are also good traps to use. Bait with a mashmallow inside. The coon puts his hand inside to get the marshmallow...and you got him. Safe for around dogs, cats, etc.
http://www.ztraps.com/
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:41:25 PM by Redbug » Logged

Dave in Columbia, SC

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
Moondog
Top Gun

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:04 PM »

we use rabbit heads.  Dig a small hole back into a bank or small hill. Take a rabbit head and place a stick through the eye so you can drive it into the dirt at the back of the hole. Then set a steel trap or dig out a little more and put your box trap at the opening to the hole so he has to go through.

0 Days  to retirement - Now what.
Zone 6b Evarts,Ky.

Trying to simplify your life is one of the most important things you can do.
corsicana don
A Gardener

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »

I have been feeding one for a month now. He is so big that after he eats he just backs out of the cage. So I went to a bigger trap. He still runs free. I think I will try the honeybun idea.

zone 8
Moondog
Top Gun

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 05:53:52 AM »

He will not back out of a conibear trap. Instant kill.  Box traps(havahart) traps have their place. But some instances Coyotes, Coons, Beavers require a little more extreme measures.

0 Days  to retirement - Now what.
Zone 6b Evarts,Ky.

Trying to simplify your life is one of the most important things you can do.
Redbug
Top Gun

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 06:41:28 AM »

I have used the conibears for beaver. It's the perfect trap for them. The beaver plug up the culverts under the roads, the swamp fills up behind the culverts and the road overflows with water. Punch some low spots in the dam, put the conibears in the rushing water and the beaver get caught. Beaver are like cockroaches...if you see two... there are many more around you don't see.

Opps...got off the coon subject...

Dave in Columbia, SC

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
Bamaborn
Master Gardener

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »

I use marshmallows of u are using a haveahart trap or if u are using the dog proof leg traps I use the cheapest cat food you can buy with a marshmallow on top.

Clark

Tuscaloosa,Alabama....Zone 7b-8....4+ acre garden
Kubota L2250...5' Disc...5' Bushhog Rotery Cutter...5' Bushog Finish Mower...Row Builders...Middle Buster,
1 Row Cultivator...5ft King Cutter Tiller...Covington TP-46 planter- spring tooth cultivator , Poulan 5hp 17" Rear Tine Tiller
wordman077
A Gardener

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 05:19:53 AM »

Ordered 6 Duke Dog Proof Coon Traps yesterday.  For some reason I am excited about catching the coons.  I guess I am looking for payback for all the sweet corn they ruined.   Grin

Utica, KY - zone 6 - Western KY
jr. gardner
A Gardener

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 06:49:23 AM »

Sardines marshmallows liver dog food tuna eggs chicken

Zone 7b
13 yrs old
Roto tiller and some hand tools
Newbie_gardener

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 07:03:18 AM »

i used sardines also, a trick i found was i take an empty sardine can and drill two holes in the bottom and use a wire tie to fasten the can to the cage in the back of the trap. this keeps the can from getting stuck up under the plate that sets the trap. i dont know how but i have had the cans to get under there and the trap no get set and the bait all gone. i have heard of people mixing peanut butter and jelly together, honey and peanut butter, dont think they are that picky of a critter when it comes to eating...Ted

John Deere 3032E 4x4 w/  loader
5' Howse Rotary Mower
5' King Kutter Finishing Mower
5' Land Rake
5' Disc
One Row Cultivators
Earthway planter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: