Author Topic: Bunnies are weened and doing great.  (Read 237 times)

Offline saute86

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9 Lake Charles,LA
    • View Profile
Bunnies are weened and doing great.
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:07:04 PM »
I weened the bunnies the other day and they are doing great. I ended up with 3 does and 3 bucks. I bred the doe a week before I removed her kits. I am keeping her on a 28 day bred back. This will but her in line with my 2 Tamuk does for their first breeding. I finished the build on the rest of the new cage for the bunnies. With this hutch I hung an all wire cage to keep it cleaner than a wire and wood hutch. In September I will add hinged walls to the hutch to protect them in the winter. I chose to do an open hutch with the hinged walls so they can stay cool during the summer. I installed an automatic watering system so I wouldn't have to fill water bottles twice a day. 
My hobbies are hunting, fishing, gardening and foraging mushrooms.
I have 27 years experience as a chef.

Offline setx_gardener

• Grasshopper
  • The true test of character is what one does when n
    • View Profile
Re: Bunnies are weened and doing great.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:23:13 AM »
Nice setup you got there. You may want to consider not breeding your rabbits in this heat. I usually wait until September to breed again. I work in Sulphur and would like to take a look at your rabbits sometime if we can get together.

Thanks,
Curtis
35 x 45 Raised bed garden
Lumberton, TX
Zone 9

Online Double B

• Sprout
  • Zone 9, Crosby, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 07:47:22 AM »
Great job and nice setup Sauté. It looks like you are surely in the bunny business. Those little ones that you weaned sure are nice looking bunnies. When will you start to harvest some for food?
14.08 acres, John Deere 5055E, Stevens Row Hippers and cultivator, 8' Bush Hog, 74" Frontier Tiller, John Deere 655Z

Offline saute86

• Grasshopper
  • Zone 9 Lake Charles,LA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:50:56 AM »
Curtis I would be more than happy to show you my set up. The buck and doe I bred are from stock that are bred year round. They have found they might lose a couple of extra kits from a kindle during the summer months. The Tamuk line I am raising is a breed established by Texas A&M that were designed in Kingsville Texas for extreme heat. They can breed in average temperatures in the 100 degree range. The rabbits are kept under a large oak tree on the east property line. My neighborhood is on a NSEW grid. A breezeway is created by my and the neighbors homes. For next month on the dog days of summer I have 3 clip on fans for the doe's hutch. For the buck and grow out hutch I designed it to but a box fan on each end to keep them cool also. I have plenty containers of ice in the freezer if needed too. If they seem to still struggle next month I have 3 small ac units I took out of a rent house that I am thinking about rigging some duct work to keep them cool if needed.

Double B right now I am more in the fertilizer business than food. When I do butcher I will wait till they are full grown. I like to cook them pot roasted anyway. If you haven't tried growing in rabbit manure you are missing out. I planted some tomato plants in buckets in a 50/50 dirt manure mix. I will take some pictures this afternoon to show how much they have grown. 
My hobbies are hunting, fishing, gardening and foraging mushrooms.
I have 27 years experience as a chef.