The Bayou Gardener
April 25, 2014, 02:38:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pork & Beans Question  (Read 3290 times)
Stan41
A Gardener

« on: May 10, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »

Does anyone here know what species of bean Van Camp's used to make their Pork & Beans?

Stan

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »

No, but if I was guessing, I'd say Great Northern or Navy beans.  My Dad was an old Army cook that believed in beans.  Every fall when it cooled down enough that the oven all day was welcome heat, I'd beg him to make his baked beans and those were what he used.  He started from scratch, cooking the dry beans before adding any sauce and they looked the same size and shape of the ones in the can.

MS Coast
Cartoad
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »

If my rememberer is working correctly, the label says "beans, white".  I'd have to go with navy beans as the white bean used, just from the shape, size and texture.

After writing the above, I had to go looking.  Walmart lists the ingredients as:
Ingredients

Prepared White Beans, Water, Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Less Than 2% Of High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Distilled Vinegar, Pork, Baking Soda, Onion Powder, Natural And Artificial Flavorings, Spice, Calcium Chloride (A Firming Agent).

http://grocery.walmart.com/usd-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?skuId=1018497&referrer=cookiesDetecting

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:13:00 PM by Cartoad » Logged

Don in the Salt Lake City area, Zone 6a -b.
Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »

Thanks.  I have always liked Van Camp's pork and beans.  Care very little about any other brand.  One of the few foods that taste exactly like they did to me 65 years ago.
Stan

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
kingtiger
Master Gardener

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:19:48 PM »

My favorite meal is Showboat Pork and Beans on buttered rice mmmmmmmmmm Wink

DEO VINDICE!!!

Zone 8a

McBee, SC/Hartsville, SC
1tongarden
Top Gun

My little baby's

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »

I grew up on this stuff and still love it today

Minnesota  "Land of 10,000 Lakes"   Zone  3/4   1- Hoe   1 - 18"  Poulan pro  reartine tiller  1- Small 12" tiller (for weeds) and 1 hoe  total garden rasberry's and pumpkin patch is about 50x80 or so.
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »

We need a copy cat canning recipe for VCPNB's. And I did read a while back they were navy beans,indeed.

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
Cartoad
A Gardener

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »

We need a copy cat canning recipe for VCPNB's. And I did read a while back they were navy beans,indeed.

Gail

Ask and ye shall receive:

Van Camps Pork & Beans Copycat

Here is an excellent recipe for Van Camps Pork & Beans made from dried beans that I have used often. I have even made it with great northern beans or a half and half combo of pinto and navy beans for variety yet the great taste is still very close to the original copycat recipe. I got this from an older Kerr Canning and Freezing booklet.
Makes 8 pints

Ingredients:
4 cups navy beans
1/2 lb salt pork or bacon, cut into pieces
4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp prepared mustard
1 1/2 cups catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar (I use white sugar and add 2 or 3 more Tbsp molasses at times)
2 cups onion, chopped small (or 1/2 cup dry minced)

Method:
Wash beans thoroughly. Cover with cold water and soak overnight. Boil in same water 45 minutes. Drain beans saving the water. Add all the ingredients to the beans along with 2 cups of the reserved bean liquid. Mix well. Pack into pint canning jars within 1 inch of the top. Put on cap and screw band firmly tight. Process pints or quarts 60 minutes at 10 lbs pressure in canner (adjusted for your altitude).

These can be packed into containers and frozen for up to 2 to 3 months.

http://madesimplerecipe.blogspot.com/2009/07/van-camps-pork-beans-copycat.html

I ran across this recipe today while searching for the Van Camp's ingredients.

Don in the Salt Lake City area, Zone 6a -b.
bkwoods
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:19:11 PM »

I will have to try that. Thanks for the recipe.

Ridgeville, SC zone 8a
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »

That does sound good.  Even a can of pork and beans is getting pricey and it would be good to have some jars on the shelf.  Thank you.

MS Coast
Ga/La/Gardener
A Gardener

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »

Show boat beans are made by Bush brothers Chestnut hill Tn.I used to work hauling vegetables to them.Cut greens in south Ga go non stop to Tn back to the dock 45 min later they were caned being put on a truck to ship WOW
My favorite meal is Showboat Pork and Beans on buttered rice mmmmmmmmmm Wink

Zebulon Ga. New holland LS180, 1940 9n ford tractor with 1950 8n motor,Sub soiler,potato plow,Cultivator,2 bottom plow,Kingkutter finish mower,Kingkutter bush hog,Merry tiller front tine, Craftsman rear tine,Wife,Cows,and Chickens,lots of land just none flat to farm
SherryB
Top Gun

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »

My mother's cookbook has a newspaper cutting from the 30s when canned goods were not being made due to the war effort and it's for homemade pork and beans.  If anybody is interested, I'll dig it up an post it.
Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »

My mother's cookbook has a newspaper cutting from the 30s when canned goods were not being made due to the war effort and it's for homemade pork and beans.  If anybody is interested, I'll dig it up an post it.
I would be glad to see it.
Thanks,
Stan

MAYOR
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 05:30:38 AM »

I gotta tell you guys a little story bout pork and beans.

My uncle had a horse farm just up the road......he had a garden every year and another fellow moved in up the road from him.  Now this new fella was a city slicker in the worst kind of way....but nevertheless he moved too the country and wanted too learn the country ways.  All good right?.....  Well....my uncle was being neighborly when he saw him and his wife with hoes and shovels trying too plow the garden, so he get out the tractor and plows and discs up the garden for them.....gave them a few pointers bout gardening they asked for......and went home.   A month or so goes by and they meet again and my uncle asks, "hows the garden doing?"......the other fellow said...."well, some stuff is coming up good......but the beans havent came up yet."
Now being curous....my uncle said...."beans come up quick, what kind did you plant?".

"Well......we put out two cans of the Van Camp brand and not one of them has come up yet!"

True Story!!!!

Lets go back 50 years and try this again.....maybe we can get it right this time!.
SherryB
Top Gun

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 05:33:43 PM »

Stan,  I haven't forgotten you wanted to see that pork and bean recipe from war times.  Gotta dig it up frommy mom's stuff.
rhashell
Top Gun

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:02:08 AM »

There are several recipes on youtube

keep gardenin'  ! Smiley
Logrus9
A Gardener

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »

Mayor that is too funny!  Grin
tuttimato
Top Gun

Zone 8b

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »

Cartoad I haven't made the recipe you posted yet but I'm working around to it.  I've been cleaning out the freezer and canning soup and such.  I get at least a couple bags of some kind of beans every time I get groceries.  Next is another batch of chicken, then chile with beans, red beans with sausage and then pork and beans.

MS Coast
crazyhorse
Top Gun

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 12:50:52 AM »

Mr Mayor,  Grin Mr Mayor Grin

JOHN 3:16,17,18

Produce
Conserve
Play square

Eat to live.
Your life depends on it.

Mud between my toes,
better than dust up my nose.

Happy gardening everyone.
AdamAgain
Grasshopper

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 02:48:17 AM »

Sodium, refined sugar, and pork, it has to be good—to the taste buds—I don’t know about to the rest of the body. Straight from the can, I always preferred Van Camp’s beanie weenies—just as healthy or unhealthy.  In my bachelor days, I liked the munchies-killer sized can—quick and easy like other facets of bachelor life.  I'd go through them by the case.

Today I’ll take garden-fresh improved pintos over either of the above.  I didn’t know about them then.

GRAIN OF SALT:  My suggestions are made on what has worked for me.  I can't grow anything. I leave that to LORD; all I do is tend.

extreme SW Arkansas, 8a, sandy loam w\clay base
acerage & equipment:  more than enough
initiative & ingenuity:  less than enough
SherryB
Top Gun

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »

Stan,

I am sorry it took me so long to dig up the recipe I promised from my mother's cookbook with the newspaper cutting from the 30s when canned goods were not being made due to the war effort and it's for homemade pork and beans.  I don't think I can scan and attach an image successfully because it's very yellowed and glued to a brittle, yellow page.   So, I'm going to try and retype exactly what it says here:

Canned Pork and Beans

With canned pork and beans no long on the grocery store shelf, we're putting up our own for something handy and quick to prepare in the winter months to come.  Soak 1 peck of dry beans overnight.  Next morning boil for 2 hours with the following dressing: 2 gallons of water, 5 quarts tomatoes, 1 1/4 cups molasses.  Add water as needed while cooking.  Remove from fire and stir in 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/3 cup slat.  Put one or more slices of salt pork or bacon in each jar and cold pack for 2 hours.  THEY'RE MIGHTY GOOD.  Nebraska.

So, there it is!!   

Today I canned Pork and Beans using Jackie Clay's recipe from Backwoods Home Magazine.   I'm going to eat them tonight with brauts...  Hope they are as good as I remember Pork and Beans because I don't think the canned from today's grocer shelf taste the same anymore.   I will say that the sauce was good and I stood there sampling a few spoonfuls!
Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »

Thank you very much Sherry.  I have it copied and in my recipe book.
Stan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: