The Bayou Gardener
October 20, 2014, 02:10:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Kutter Tiller puking fluid out the gear box..  (Read 2345 times)
okiegardener09
A Gardener

« on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »

You guys/gals ever seen this happen before? I was tilling the other day, looked back and saw fluid puking out of the top gearbox..this 6 footer had prob got about 10  hours on it..factory overfill maybe?

2011 John Deere 5065M, 6ft tiller, brushog, cultivator, 6ft disc, middle buster, ripper, 12ft boom sprayer, posthole digger, boxblade, hydraulic top link, 09' Polaris Ranger(garden unit). I need a dog.
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »

Dunno, did you check it. My side gear case does that same thing. Not bad since that mess means I have oil in it.

Amanda,OH
okiegardener09
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »

IDK.. I was working it pretty hard the other day, dont see that any seals could be leaking. its just coming out that one port on the top of the center top gearbox.

2011 John Deere 5065M, 6ft tiller, brushog, cultivator, 6ft disc, middle buster, ripper, 12ft boom sprayer, posthole digger, boxblade, hydraulic top link, 09' Polaris Ranger(garden unit). I need a dog.
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »

IDK.. I was working it pretty hard the other day, dont see that any seals could be leaking. its just coming out that one port on the top of the center top gearbox.
Thats a vent port. Somewhat normal to see oil from there when the fluid get hot. The KK and most brands similar in duty rating are IMO are on the edge. My 84" er goes through U joints like crazy even though I have a clutch shaft and it runs pretty much straight. Just a little undersized for the application. I guess thats OK for what I have in it, the amount of use it gets, and how long I've owned it.

Amanda,OH
Oldiron
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »

Grease is getting hot. Either something is tight or you're working it hard. Keep an eye on the cold level and if it really bothers you switch to a synthetic grease.

" An expert is somebody who has killed at least 10,000 plants" Bob Webster. I ain't there yet but I'm workin' on it!

A few miles north of San Antonio Texas

John Deere LA115
Western Auto Atlas front tine tiller
Shovels, forks, hoes, and other implements of destruction
Hot Pepper
A Gardener

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »

Grease is getting hot. Either something is tight or you're working it hard. Keep an eye on the cold level and if it really bothers you switch to a synthetic grease.

Good advice. Mine is a six footer and I have it behind a 55 horse JD and it does not do that. It came dry from the factory, and I put Royal Purple Synergy 200 oil in it. It is a synthetic oil I have been using a long time with exeptional results.

North Central Texas, Young County, Zone 7
Common Sense Is Not A Common Practice These Days...............
kbota
A Gardener

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:45:14 AM »

That's right jwalk, which is why I keep my tools with gearboxes out of the rain.  My closest neighbor has a Woods finish mower that stays outside.   2 or 3 times a year he has to drain water from the gearbox, and replace the oil.   This is not an easy chore since there is no bottom drain.   He usually asks me to pick his finish mower up with my FEL so he can drain the oil.

I keep my implements with gearboxes inside, and have never drained the oil.   I check them periodically, and add a little gear oil if needed.

The other reason your gearbox might be burping oil is if it has been overfilled.   Gear oil needs expansion room.   Never fill over the level of the side plug.

K

Kbota, Love the woods and hills in Central Louisiana
Retiring soon - sometime in 2012.
L3010, KingKutter 5' Tiller, middle buster, 5' JD bushhog, 5' Woods finish mower, Hippers, cultivators, Bushhog rollover boxblade, homemade grader blade, and post hole digger (9").
Troybilt horse 7hp, Honda mini tiller, and a gardenway seeder.
okiegardener09
A Gardener

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »

I bought it in 09' from the local Farm/Ranch store.. it was dry, the manager who I went to school with said "give me 30 min to fill the boxes and then come pick it up".. It's been outside in the elements for 3 years now, and yeah, it looked a bit foamy coming out. Ill check it cold tomorrow.

davidjrtx
Top Gun

Zone 8b Willis, Tx

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »

Mine done this I think I put to much in it, it puked a little out then was ok....

Massey Ferguson 231, Nolt's RB-448 Mulch Layer, Countyline Tiller 6', Leinbach 60" Bedder, Earthway Seeder, Hatfield Transplanter, Countyline Middlebuster, Countyline Subsoiler, Countyline Cultivator, Rhino 60

Willis, Tx
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »

I used to get this type of foaming after hard use on my tiller.  I switched to Lucas 75W-90 and it stopped completely.  I even ran it at 830 RPM for an hour a few weeks ago through clear soil and it did not burp or seep.  I wound up switching every gear box to Lucas and I don't see any evidence of seepage at gaskets or from the vent.   Wink
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:24:29 AM by tbird » Logged

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
AllisCA
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »

My gear box is dry on the outside but my chain drive on the side has a mess all over the outside. Since it does not have a drain I'm too lazy to take off the cover and inspect. Could be full of water for all I know. After I'm in a spot this season where I won't need it for a while I'll take a look see.

Amanda,OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: