The Bayou Gardener
October 21, 2014, 01:42:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cole Multiflex vs Covington Planter...  (Read 3601 times)
Redbug
Top Gun

« on: March 30, 2012, 03:16:06 PM »

I have been thinking of getting a one row planter and wanted your opinions about the different ones...likes/dislikes, etc.

Here's a few facts...
I already have a cultivator, (Leinbach #10), which has the attachment points for a Covington. I would also use the cultivator for other cultivator chores and take the Covington off when not planting.

The Cole Multiflex comes with the 3 point hitch already built on.

Both planters sell for about the same amount of money...about $900 give or take. And you can find them much cheaper second hand. The Cole comes with the 3 point hitch, and the Covington without the cultivator. Both have fertilizer hoppers.

So...My questions are...which planter would be the best value for the money...since they are about the same cost? Which one would be more versatile? Will both handle all the various seed sizes or is one more limited? After seeing Don's videos...my feeling is the Cole is less complicated and maybe easier to use? Is that right? Have any of you had the chance to use both of them to get an opinion between the two? Which one do you recommend, biased and unbaised opinions.

Links to see the Cole Multiflex and Covington (setup and planting):
http://thebayougardener.com/vegetable-garden-videos-2010.htm

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:18:20 PM by Redbug » Logged

Dave in Columbia, SC

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »

I tried em both and in my soil the Covington out performs the Cole by a long shot.  Hereís a tip, you wonít  need the cultivators, fertilizer box or that big middle buster on the front of the Covington.  I took all that off and it works even better.  You should already have a clean (weed free), fertilized and prepared seed bed before you even think about planting.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
Redbug
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 05:16:00 AM »

Thanks Donald.

A question or two if you don't mind...Does one over the other have the capacity to plant more types of seeds? Is the Cole easier to set up? In what way does the Covington out perform?

Dave in Columbia, SC

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"
WAB
Top Gun

Eastern South Carolina - Zone 8a

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »

Thats kinda like who like Ford or Chevrolet. You'll need to decide what works for you. I use the Cole Multiflex.

WAB

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
----  Robert H. Heinlein
Stoney
A Gardener

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »

Redbug, I think both are fine planters and will do a good job. I have owned a cole duplex and a multiplex and liked both of them. One thing I will say is that SC and especially the eastern part of SC where tobacco was big was always big Cole country and used planters, plates and parts are still easy to find. That goes for Cole brand fertilizer distributors too. There are a lot of used farm equipment dealers around that sell used Cole stuff. Covington stuff is a lot harder to find around here unless you're buying brand new then it doesn't matter cause they own Cole now too. Just something to keep in mind.

Stoney

Farmall 140 with cultivators, Cub Cadet Tank zero turn mower, BCS 14" rear tine tiller, Brand new hoe.
ashlogcreek
Top Gun

Ashlogcreek@aol.com

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:12:13 AM »

No matter what type of planter you use, the secret is having your ground in shape. The finer the dirt, the better the planter will work. The problem is, you can't always have optimum conditions, so if you have little dirt clods, or heavy clay, none of the planters will work like you WANT them to. If the planter is bouncing around, the seeds will not all be the same depth, or they will bounce out of the seed wheel and cause skipping. No matter what type of planter, the smoother the seedbed, the better the result.

Zone 8-A  LS R3039w/fel, Prefert 5.5' combo disk, United 5.5' box blade, Tru Flo seed/fert. spreader, middlebuster, assorted walk behind equip.
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:54 AM »

Again this was in my soil (sand & clay), results may vary.  I think both will handle seeds down to the size of okra pretty well.  What I liked about the Covington was the double disc openers vs. a solid shoe to open the soil for the seed to drop in.  I planted in both flat and hilled rows and the Covington handled it very well.  In tilled and hilled soil the Cole had a tendency to push dirt in front of the planter.  Maybe I didnít have it set correctly but I didnít like that.  I also found the Covington has more options for seed spacing. 

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
Redbug
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 03:49:53 PM »

Thank you for your opinions. I plan to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used one.

Dave in Columbia, SC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: