The Bayou Gardener
April 18, 2014, 01:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perennial Morning Glory  (Read 1902 times)
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« on: March 24, 2010, 11:55:55 AM »

Has anyone seen this hard to find vine? 
It is a perennial morning glory.  It comes in the most astounding blue you have ever seen.  It is very invasive and great for old fence lines.  My Texas one froze to the ground every winter and then came back with a vengeance.

Usually someone has to give you a chunk of it as no one carries it.  i did see it one time at Blue Moon Gardens in Edom Texas.  IT is a fabulous native plant nursery west of Tyler,Tx.

These are other names for it.
blue dawn-flower" (Ipomoea acuminata)

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
chuckga
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »

Gail,

Seems like I have seen those around here each spring, most times they grow wild as you have said. I will keep a sharp eye out and if they appear to be what you are lookin for then I will take a few pictures and let you see.... if that is the case then I will me happy to send some to you via mail.

Boggy
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 05:12:55 AM »

It looks like "Granpa Ott's Morning Glory"..a supposedly heirloom that has been passed down for generations. Bought some seeds off ebay, last year.

In the VERY southeast corner of the backwards state of Alabama
"Pretended holiness is merely double wickedness".....Thomas Watson
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »

It does look like Grandpa' Otts in the picture but in real life mine were 'hurt you blue'.  They were the color of Heavenly Blue annuals but more intense.  I have never seen multicolored but I bet they are staggering.

A chunk of root is all you need to get started but only put it where you will want it forever.  It is a bear to get rid of.  I still want some.

I don't think a few days riding in a mail truck will hurt it at all!

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
Boggy
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »

I'm thinking about planting some seeds in a rather large clay pot I have and putting it at one of the posts of the patio and letting "wrap" the patio with color. (the patio awning and posts are of aluminum construction)

In the VERY southeast corner of the backwards state of Alabama
"Pretended holiness is merely double wickedness".....Thomas Watson
SGMinSC
Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:34:48 AM »

Grows wild around here. We have some even in the middle of the back yard. Comes up each year. I often move seeds to fences if I remember. My parents house has a lot of it along their fences.

Ashley Capps
Sweet Gum Minis
www.sweetgumminis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: