The Bayou Gardener
November 26, 2014, 03:41:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chili Pequin or Chili Del Monte  (Read 7002 times)
buckethead
A Gardener

« on: March 09, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »

does anyone know the difference?

I remember the ones my Grandad, had growing in his yard, were the little "bullet" shaped ones,not the "round" ones.

he lived in Lano, Texas, and they grew wild there,  he called them, Bird Peppers,

thanks for any info,

buckethead
LonghornRancher
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »

I have two seedlings of the chiltepin.  I don't know if they are the round one or the bullet shaped one.  I do know they are some hot lil suckers though.

I'm a Militant, Christian, Redneck, Hippy, Libertarian.

If I wanted to save America:   http://youtu.be/wme9rRJEEjQ

West Virginia
Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »

Yes I do.  The Chili Pequin or Chili Petine (same thing) make round peppers.  They grow wild in south Texas but here, 60 miles North of Llano they will freeze to death in most winters.

I have the bird peppers growing wild here.  They are smaller than the Chili Petines and bullet shaped. They are called bird peppers or turkey peppers.

I think bird peppers have much better flavor than chili petines and they are equal in hotness.

The bird peppers are perennial from the roots and mockingbirds love them.

I have never been able to get bird peppers to come up from seed and my Brother-in-Law says the seed have to go through a Mockingbird in order for them to come up.  I don't know if this is right or wrong but I do know that they often come up from seed underneath liveoak trees where mockingbirds have roosted.
Stan

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Soilguy
Top Gun

Southern Tip of Texas, Zone 9B

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »

I have the bullet-shaped ones growing around here. Don't know about the round ones. Ones like mine are referred to here locally (deep South Texas) as chili pequin.
I do know they are some hot lil suckers though.
That's for sure!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Larry

Soil and dirt are different things!
Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 09:41:33 AM »

Here are pictures I made of the bird peppers:

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
LonghornRancher
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »

I was told they are one of the harder peppers to germinate.  I put mine in a closed sandwich baggy with a damp paper towel on top of the aquarium light and they sprouted in a week.  I have read they can take up to 90 days to germinate.

West Virginia
LonghornRancher
Top Gun

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »

I have also heard that they can live many years so I plan on keeping mine in some nice pots and bringing them in when it gets cold.

West Virginia
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

Mine was 8 years old when it passed on. This was due to me leaving it out when we got a hard freeze! Forgot to cover it up......  Sad

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:42:52 AM »

My little bird peppers are very hardy.  Mine have survived temperatures as low as 10 degrees and they even survived the heat and drouth of last summer without me watering them a bit!
Tough little plants.
Stan

buckethead
A Gardener

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »

thanks, for the info,,

it sounds like, from what Stan,posted, is that the "Bird Pepper" and the "Chili Del Monte" are the same thing .and that the round ones

are the "Chili Pequin"? LOL,  and that the "Bird Pepper" aka. Chili Del Monte's are the Bullet shaped ones, and may be more cold hardy,than the Chili Pequin, LOL,,,

anyway, I finally found a 100 seeds,of the Chili Del Monte's, wish me luck,,

thanks

buckethead
Soilguy
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 03:38:04 PM »

I think you've got the taxonomy down pat, buckhead Grin Grin Grin. Stan41's pictures look just like my peppers, so I have chile del monte's....or are they chili pequins Huh? Huh? Huh? Wow, I'm really confused now. But whatever you call them LHR's statement holds....them is hot lil' suckers  Shocked Shocked
Germinating the seeds around here is easy. You just turn it all over to the Mockingbirds, and one passage through their digestive tract is all it takes to get them to germinate. They're very protective of the bushes and try to chase you off when you come near one. Hmmmmm, I wonder if chickens will eat the peppers Huh? Wink Larry
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:57:05 AM by Soilguy » Logged

Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »

I think you've got the taxonomy down pat, buckhead Grin Grin Grin. Stan41's pictures look just like my peppers, so I have chile del monte's....or are they chili peqquins Huh? Huh? Huh? Wow, I'm really confused now. But whatever you call them LHR's statement holds....them is hot lil' suckers  Shocked Shocked
Germinating the seeds around here is easy. You just turn it all over to the Mockingbirds, and one passage through their digestive tract is all it takes to get them to germinate. They're very protective of the bushes and try to chase you off when you come near one. Hmmmmm, I wonder if chickens will eat the peppers Huh? Wink Larry

Yes, chickens and turkeys will eat my bird peppers.  Some people even call them turkey peppers.  They prefer for them to be ripe and red.  They won't hardly eat them green.

I am not familiar with chili del monte's, but my bird peppers are definitely not chili petines.  I have had both varieties, but chili petines will not last here over the long haul.  Bird peppers will.

Stan

buckethead
A Gardener

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »

I think you've got the taxonomy down pat, buckhead Grin Grin Grin. Stan41's pictures look just like my peppers, so I have chile del monte's....or are they chili peqquins Huh? Huh? Huh? Wow, I'm really confused now. But whatever you call them LHR's statement holds....them is hot lil' suckers  Shocked Shocked

LOL,,   I have to agree with you guy's,, the little pointed ones, ""Bird Peppers" are the Chili Del Monte's, and the round ones are the Chili Pequins, 

now all I have to do is ((Trap))  a few Mockingbirds, and feed them nothing but Pepper seeds for about a month,  !!!! Grin Grin

buckethead  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Stan41
A Gardener

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »

LOL,,   I have to agree with you guy's,, the little pointed ones, ""Bird Peppers" are the Chili Del Monte's, and the round ones are the Chili Pequins, 

now all I have to do is ((Trap))  a few Mockingbirds, and feed them nothing but Pepper seeds for about a month,  !!!! Grin Grin

buckethead  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

They would be the happiest mockingbirds around!

buckethead
A Gardener

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:48 PM »

well, I got my 50 "Bird Pepper" seeds in Saturday,put 25 in Peat Pots, will wait and see what happens before I try and start the other 25,

may wait until it really gets warm and just start them out doors,,

I have been playing ""Latino"" music and a shot of "Tequila" in the spray bottle,

maybe should be playing "The Yellow Rose of Texas" and feeding them ""Lone Star" beer

buckethead
Soilguy
Top Gun

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »

I have been playing ""Latino"" music and a shot of "Tequila" in the spray bottle,
   maybe should be playing "The Yellow Rose of Texas" and feeding them ""Lone Star" beer
     buckethead

Grin Grin Grin That's probably easier than getting Mockingbird cooperation  Grin Grin Larry

buckethead
A Gardener

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:40 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

beats crawling around on your hands and knees, lookin for Mocking Bird ""POO""

Grin Grin

maybe I dont need ""Bird Peppers""  after all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Dragonfly
Top Gun

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 07:20:19 PM »

Ihave seeds of the Chili Pequins that I carried over here from my bush in Kerrville, TX.  They are indeed hot.....I have heard of people feeding them to turkeys and that it imparts a little seasoning to the meat....is that so??

Jennings, LA (Zone 8b-9a) Retired Research Engineer [Getting use to it]
Kubota L3240, 5' Bushog, 5' KingKutter II tiller, Homemade Hipper & Middlebuster, cultivator, 50 gal sprayer
Chapman
Master Gardener

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »

http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/Pepper.growing.tips.html
This is the site I used when I planted my Tepin pepper seeds.  They recommend not to use peat in the planting mix.  I used the Miracle Grow Organic Choice to plant in.  They were slow to germinate, but finally did sprout.

Southwest Louisiana, Zone 9
Chapman
Master Gardener

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »

These are my Tepin peppers which I think are the same as a Chiltepin.  The mockingbirds do love to eat them.    

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:37:04 PM by Chapman » Logged

ma
Top Gun

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »

Chapman-  Great link with a lot of useful info. Thanks for sharing.

NE Texas
buckethead
A Gardener

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 08:19:58 AM »

hello Chapman,,

man, what a great site,, ton of information there,,

of course I planted mine in ""Peat Pots""   Roll Eyes,  will try and find some of the Orchid Mix,,

I have 25 seeds left,,if I can get just one plant to come up, I will be happy, LOL

Thanks again for the info,,

cliff
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »

I was lucky enough to get some Chili Pequin seed from CindyinTexas...Thanks again!!!   Grin

I grew 6 plants last year, three in the garden and three in a 3gal container that done very well...the three in the 3gal container experanced several frosts, and two freezes out in the open(one night got to 17)...I wanted to see for my own just what they could endure(yeah, I'm like that)...after it was evident cold damage was done and leaves began to drop, I just simply put them under my roofed back porch with no further protection and left 'em there for the rest of the winter(I have 6 back up seed)...last month I noticed new growth at the base of the unpruned bushes, I allowed the growth to continue on the unpruned bushes...and yes, after allowing new growth for a month, it was time to prune back the dead limbs...here are the results...

the third stubble you see does show some greening of the layer under the bark...I have hope on that one...here ya go!!!   Grin

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:39:18 AM by Cubman » Logged

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »

maybe I should have posted all this on the main forum, but wanted to show folks here that have an interest in this pepper what I'm doing...I may not have even bothered posting anything if it wasn't for the shown interest here on this thread for the pepper...I pruned out this bit of growth for an attempt on rooting without the aid of hormones(we shall see and learn)...I cut the stem of this mid stem growth just under the 1st node below the leaves shown and left some stem above the growth to the node above, my plan is to soak it for two days to soften the tissue and hydrate, then plant it in soil that will be kept moist and somewhat humid...I've never worked with this pepper as it just isn't available here, but I intend to give it a run on all angles to learn what I can...this is just the beginning... Grin

here, I stuck a toothpick into the top of the stem so it won't tip in the 1/2 pint jar...water is only a few centimeters deep, just enough to cover the node on the bottom of the cut stem...

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:23:30 AM by Cubman » Logged

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
Chapman
Master Gardener

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56:25 AM »

The reason I got interested in these peppers is because a few plants used to grow wild on my Grandparent's property in Cameron parish. There was 3 or 4 plants that grew year after year in part shade next to the cow pens.  My Grandfather used to put some in vinegar to season with. I think they came up wild and he's gone now so I can't ask him about them.  The plants died out in the 80's and I haven't seen them since. I started looking up info about 3 years ago and found these Tepin peppers were the same as the peppers I had seen years before.  I ordered seeds from ChiliHeadzs.net and some from Ebay and planted them. My plants are now 3 years old. I put some in vinegar and some I mix with vinegar and put in a blender. I call that my Atomic sauce, a little bit goes a long way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:01:46 AM by Chapman » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: