The Bayou Gardener
April 17, 2014, 11:23:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Pick Purple Hull Pea Seeds  (Read 2100 times)
Arms319
A Gardener

Zone 7a

« on: March 01, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »

I was looking around the net for some Top Pick seeds tonight and found these for sale on e-bay, I though I might share it with yall in case anybody else is looking for some seed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-lb-Top-Pick-Pink-Eye-Purple-Hull-Peas-Cowpea-For-2012-Growing-Season-/250979583912?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6f8c87a8

2004 John Deere 5105 4x4 with FEL
7 ft. Brush Hog
6 ft. box blade
6 ft. tiller
ashlogcreek
Top Gun

Ashlogcreek@aol.com

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »

I bought "Quickpick Pinkeye Purplehulls", from Willhite Seeds. From what I understand QuickPick is the same as Top Pick. I think they still have plenty.

Zone 8-A  LS R3039w/fel, Prefert 5.5' combo disk, United 5.5' box blade, Tru Flo seed/fert. spreader, middlebuster, assorted walk behind equip.
Eddie Buck

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »

Heres some a little less expensive and free shipping to... http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-8172-southern-states-top-pick-pinkeye-cowpea.aspx
hippygirl
Master Gardener

Seriously?

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »

That's where I got mine...fast shipping, good service so far.

Zone 8A
Crawford, AL

3500 sf garden, TB Horse tiller, assorted hoes/rakes/shovels, Earthway planter, homemade seedstarting rack, impact sprinkler on a tripod, a stong back, determination...and LOTS of prayer!
mrdoitall
Master Gardener

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 12:54:08 PM »

"Quick Pick Pinkeye Purple Hulls" To me are not the save. They do produce a pea on top of a stem from the pea plant. But they don't come close to the production of the True top pick. I would say they make about 1/4 to 1/2 less peas per plant.

The pink eye peas from southernstates.com don't look at all like top peas we grow around here. They are not top pink-eyed purple hull peas or they have posted the wrong picture. What do you gardeners think about these peas are they what y'all call top pick?

North Alabama
Zone 7
bigboberta
Top Gun

Happy Gardening

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »

Don't look like TPPEPHP to me.

Bob

Greensburg (Easleyville) St. Helena Parish, LA
2 1/2 Acres

Zone 8a or 8b now.
Retired Firefighter

1952 35 HP Gas Allis Chalmer  WD ,    2008 Mahindra 3525 35 HP Diesel, 
2011 Land Master LM 400 Utility Vehicle,  John Deere 42" Riding Lawn Mower, 50" Exmark Zero Turn Mower, Woods RD60 5' Finish Mower.

Stevens Garden Package,  Stevens Deluxe Row Hippers, County Line Middle Buster, 6 1/2' United Tandem Disc Harrow , United Dirt scoop 30", 6' County Line Tiller.

Earthway 1001-b Precision Seeder with 1500 side dress attachment,  Hatfield Planter, Hoss Wheeled Hoe and Planter. Stand n Plant Seeder, Stand n Plant Planter.
iowegian23
A Gardener

My Family and I in our pasture

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »

Those peas look like someone just drew a pink circle on each one with a marker. Huh?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:40:08 PM by iowegian23 » Logged

CT225 Bobcat Tractor w/Loader
5' Bobcat Tiller
5' Box Scraper
6' Angle Blade
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

Iowegian23 … I thought the same thing when I looked at em.  Something’s just wrong with that picture, poor work with the marker.  Plus they are calling it a “new and improved Top Pick”  From my understanding Wax Seed Company from MS is where the real “Top Pick” come from.

Ashlogcreek … Quick Pick aren’t the same as Top Pick.  Might still be a good pea, I don’t know.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Live on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
Pjames
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »

I was wondering myself about those pictures. The TPPH seeds I bought last year and saved for this year are NOT anywhere near that color. Mine produced great so I will re-plant this year regardless what they are..

Shreveport, La

small backyard organic gardener using home-made compost and vermi-castings,

Life is like a jar of jalapenos.....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
hippygirl
Master Gardener

Seriously?

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »

The pic is wrong...the peas look perfectly normal in hand.

I've never grown any of the top picks, so I have no idea how these will produce...guess I'll find out, huh? Cheesy

Zone 8A
Crawford, AL

3500 sf garden, TB Horse tiller, assorted hoes/rakes/shovels, Earthway planter, homemade seedstarting rack, impact sprinkler on a tripod, a stong back, determination...and LOTS of prayer!
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »

I have grown Quick Pick and Top Pick on numerous occasions.  The Quick Pick will produce close to the same in quantity, and grows similarly.  The hull of a quick pick is a bit heavier and also if hand shelling they tend to be a tad harder to shell.  Personally I think they taste like a Top Pick and the wife, who is the real Purple Hull Fan in the house, likes them both equally.  You will also notice when shelling Quick Picks that the pea membrane is a bit heavier and the the peas require a bit more washing when fresh.   Wink

As for color of a commercial seed?  It can vary.  Top Pick and Quick Pick seeds naturally are a light tan color whereas I have purchased them from tan to red depending on treatments.  This year my Feed & Seed has blue Quick Picks.  Not a problem. 

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:43:43 AM by tbird » Logged

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: