The Bayou Gardener
July 28, 2014, 03:18:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planting sweet corn in the same spot as last year ?  (Read 814 times)
iowegian23
A Gardener

My Family and I in our pasture

« on: February 24, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »

Just wondering if it is ok to plant sweet corn in the same place as I did last year. This will only be the second year that i have had a garden in this particular spot. I am going to plant starting from the north side of the garden in 90' rows in this order. Sunflower, sweet corn, cucumbers, tomatoes and bell peppers, bush beans, potatoes, watermelon and pumpkin. If anyone see's a reason any of these veggies can not be together please let me know. Thank you

CT225 Bobcat Tractor w/Loader
5' Bobcat Tiller
5' Box Scraper
6' Angle Blade
thebayougardener
Administrator
Top Gun

"Keep it Simple" Less is More

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »

I donít think youíll have any issues planting your corn in the same spot 2 years in a row.  I would consider rotating the following year though.

Donald

Retired and loving it.  Didn't know life could be so good.

Donald (The Bayou Gardener) (WebCajun) Lives on a Louisiana Bayou
Kubota L3240 (32 HP 4WD) - King Kutter II 5 ft. Tiller - Row Hippers - Middle Buster - Rolling Cultivator - Reg and Box Blades - Woods 5 ft. Finishing Mower - Covington Planter - Hoss Planter - EarthWay Planter - Hatfield Transplanter

The Bayou Gardener:    http://www.thebayougardener.com
Garden_Beast
Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »

I agree with Donald. I don't think you will have a problem this year, but corn is a heavy nitrogen feeder so I would rotate next year. You might want to add some fertillizer to your soil before you plant. Are you planning to plant 1 90' row of sweetcorn? One year I did 1 40' row and I got poor results. After some help from my fellow gardener and some research, I found the problem. Since all of the corn was in one long row, pollination was difficult because the corn only pollinated with the corn to its left and right. The next year I planted a few rows next to each other instead of 1 long row and got great results. You may get better results if you plant 2 or 3 rows next to each other so they can pollinate well. You have a good order of plants and it seems like you have a good plan! Hope I helped ya and happy gardening!

- Jacob

Been gardening for 4 years and absolutely love it!

1967 IH 424
2 row John Deere planter
3 bottom plow
7' John Deere tiller
8' disc
Sub-soiler/Ripper
Post hole digger
7' Woods Bush-hog
3 point fertilize spreader
7' tine rake
7' scrape

John Deere Gator
Kubota 6' Zero turn lawn mower
1985 JD Backhoe
oldegger
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »

I am with Jacob,
Sweet corn does better grown in blocks. At least 4 rows wide. Maybe 4 25' rows instead of 1 90' row.

al
Garden_Beast
Grasshopper

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:18:10 AM »

Last season I did 6 25' rows and had great success.

Been gardening for 4 years and absolutely love it!

1967 IH 424
2 row John Deere planter
3 bottom plow
7' John Deere tiller
8' disc
Sub-soiler/Ripper
Post hole digger
7' Woods Bush-hog
3 point fertilize spreader
7' tine rake
7' scrape

John Deere Gator
Kubota 6' Zero turn lawn mower
1985 JD Backhoe
iowegian23
A Gardener

My Family and I in our pasture

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:21 AM »

There will be 4 rows of corn and 2 rows of potatoes. I was just more concerned about if any of the types could not be next to each other. I planted 8 rows last year 4 at a time about 2 weeks apart and it turned out great except for the japanese beetles. Thanks for the info though.

CT225 Bobcat Tractor w/Loader
5' Bobcat Tiller
5' Box Scraper
6' Angle Blade
oldegger
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »

There will be 4 rows of corn and 2 rows of potatoes. I was just more concerned about if any of the types could not be next to each other. I planted 8 rows last year 4 at a time about 2 weeks apart and it turned out great except for the japanese beetles. Thanks for the info though.

You might have a problem if 2 different varieties mature at the same time.

Al 
wordman077
A Gardener

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 06:17:23 AM »

The corn plated in the same spot would not concern me as much as moving the tomotoes and cucumbits around. Better for disease and pest control.

Utica, KY - zone 6 - Western KY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: