The Bayou Gardener
July 30, 2014, 02:02:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Canning Shelf Project  (Read 1692 times)
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« on: February 20, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »

Since I began canning 4 years ago, I progressed from canning just cucumber pickles, pickled Okra and pickled peppers to almost any vegetable and meats.  as a result of canning lots of chicken, pork and beef I am beginning to have difficulty retrieving the canned goods from my closet that I use for storage.  Too many jars in too little room.  Nancy and I decided that we (meaning I am the Indian and she is the Chief) are going to build a new shelf unit measuring 7'wide X 7' high x 8" off the wall just for canned goods.  The new shelf unit will consist of 10 storage shelves not counting the top cover board.  The 7 shelves for quarts will be spaced 8" apart vertically and the 3 pint shelves will be spaced 6" vertically.  It will hold a total of 144 pints and 294 quarts. The front will be covered by a curtain to ease access.  The Chief will make the curtain while the Indian makes and installs the shelves.  Grin

I am using 3/4" (23/32") Oak plywood for the shelves and Oak board for the sides and center divider/supports.  I hope to be finished by March 1.  I checked Oak ply at Lowes and Home Depot and it is not worth using.  To many hollows and the veneer is so thin it can be literally wiped off with your hand.   Sad

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
Misplaced Texan
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »

T-Bird,  you might want to check out using shelf standards and clips and make your shelves adjustable since things change from year to year.  Also since you didn't say how long each shelf will be but should probably not be longer than 32" to be able to hold the weight of filled jars.  If you divided it into 3 sections each shelf would be 28" long which would be sure not to bow.  If you put a 1 x 1-1/2 strip across the shelf front it will really add some strength.

Ours are 12" deep and hold a ton.

Not that you asked for advise, just my 2 cents.

Gail

North West Louisiana
SE of Shreveport Bossier City
Zone 8A
crazygardener
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »

Sound cool T......ah  when you get done with that one....you can come to my house and build another  Grin

crazy

tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »

Sound cool T......ah  when you get done with that one....you can come to my house and build another  Grin

crazy

How about I just put one together with 16" wide shelves instead of 8" and we cut it down the long way!  Then we'll have two!   Grin  Grin  Grin

Barking Dog Farm

Many, LA

crazygardener
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »

Hey sounds good to me.  Grin Grin

crazy

mudfish2
Top Gun

Birmingham Don't plan on getting Ball jars here!

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:24:05 AM »

Hi T-

I built my house about 18 years ago.  At the time I had plenty of scrap 3/4 plywood pieces.  What I did was glued & nailed two pieces of scap together.  Once the glue dried I ripped the 1 1/2" thick shelving out.  I then faced the top and bottom of the shelves with white formica.  Mounted the shelves in the pantry and faced the fronts with 1" x 2" oak strips.  Taped the formica and stained / polyurethaned to match kitchen cabinets.  The extra thick shelves really does a good job reducing sagging under load and the formica makes cleaning a snap.  The white formica really kind of brightens up the pantry.  Now after sliding cans and stuff all over the shelves for years they still look pretty much new.  As for the dimensions I would make them 3 times as wide as a quart Ball jar and a little taller than a ceral box.

If you do something like this make sure you do not put screws or nails where you plan on sawing(glue up process).  There are probably alot of ways to build shelves but this has worked pretty good for me.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:24:22 AM by mudfish2 » Logged

Zone 8A - Kabota L2900, Disc Harrow, Single Botton Plow, Box Blade, Auger, Delux Row Hipper, Bush Hog, Hooke & Crooke Heron, Taylor Pea Sheller, Hoss Wheel Hoe Planter, all manner of sweat producing hand tools & Great Neighbors!
Mr. Scruffy
Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:18:22 AM »

7' wide will end up with a sag in the middle from the weight, even with 3/4" oak plywood. May I suggest adding some kind of middle support. A 1x4 facer at the middle would most likely provide enough to eliminate any sag and would not interfere with storage capacity. Just my experience.

"step high Jack, there's a log"

Zone 9
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:35:46 AM »

The loading has all been worked out and the vertical supports placed to utilize maximum material strength.  All the shelves have been cut and the 30 vertical supports also.  I switched to Marine Grade Ply because I could not find any decent Oak Ply at a price I was willing to pay.  I bought a really good enamel to paint them with when I finish sanding and assembling. Right now I have so much golf cart business I don't have time.  The last thing to cut is the two vertical ends of the unit.    Wink

I also added a 1/4" square strip for slide retention on the front of the shelves.   Gorilla glue holds really well.   Wink

Barking Dog Farm

Many, LA

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: