The Bayou Gardener
April 17, 2014, 02:30:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walmart seed  (Read 1620 times)
kingtiger
Master Gardener

« on: February 10, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »

What are y'all's opinion/experiences on seeds from Walmart? Are they any good? By the way did y'all know you can buy seeds with an EBT card from walmart?... at least you aparently can in SC, because someone was buying them in front of me in line with it last night....I bet that is probably one transaction that is not used often with food stamps....(their idea being why work for it when we can get it for free type thing)....anyway my question is about the seed from walmart LOL!

DEO VINDICE!!!

Zone 8a

McBee, SC/Hartsville, SC
TheOntarioGardener
Top Gun

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »

Most seeds that Walmart and the box stores sell are similar. Meaning if you go to Walmart, then to Home Depot, they could very well have the same brand. If you are unsure about the seed, do a test germination of a few seeds to see how they do. If they don't germinate, stay away from buying that brand. However, even the "cheap" seeds should still grow just fine. If they wouldn't, they wouldn't sell.

~J

Zone 4B, Canada.
Kubota MX5100, Loader, 74" Tiller, 72" Rotary Mower, Middle Buster, Sub Soiler, Auger

www.youtube.com/theontariogardener
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »

I got some Monday at Wal-mart and took them back Wednesday. Just the tomato seed. They were pelletized. Some of the guys have had trouble with them germinating. I sought other unpelletized sources.

Try Dollar General and Family Dollar. Wink
Paul5388
Top Gun

Long Branch, Rusk Co. Texas

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »

Most seed is going to germinate, if it isn't too old.  They should have the date when it was germination tested on the package, so you can see if it's old seed or not.  I was noticing some Ferry-Morse seed I bought lately only has 250 mg of seed in it.  That's 1/4 of a gram and there are 453.6 grams in a pound.  That's 1814.4 packets that can be made from 1 pound of seed.  If seed is $350.00/pound, that's $.19 of seed in each packet.  Roll Eyes

52 acres Rusk Co., TX (Zone 8b),
IH 444,
IH/Case 254,
2 Satoh Beavers w/FEL one w/backhoe,
72" Grasshopper 928D,
52" Bush Hog tiller,
6' Woods Disc,
5' Woods mower,
Troybilt Horse,
Mule 4WD,
Yamaha Wolverine,
'84 Chev 3/4 ton 6.2 liter
bigcountry1009
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »

Hey kingtiger, I've had pretty good luck with the ferry-morris seeds. Even my local farm and garden here in Laurens, SC sells them. I also order from Twilley seed. They are head quartered in Hodges SC.

Clinton, SC
Zone 7a
Husqvarna rear tine tiller and hand tools, plus my wife and babies
Looking to make grocery store trips a memory
tbird
Global Moderator
Top Gun

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:38 PM »

Ferry-Morse is a dependable seed company.  Their packaging is why they get higher prices.  They look really nice.   Wink

For almost 30 years I have grown "American Seed Company" seeds and had excellent luck.  Those were the ones from the end of the aisles in dollar stores and used to be in Wal-Mart.  As of two yeas ago they were only 10 cents a pack, but now they are usually 89 cents.  So is life.    Sad

Barking Dog Farm

18.25 Acres in Central West Louisiana | USDA Zone 8b

Isaiah 66:22, 23, 24

Many, LA

Enough Farm Equipment to Run a Small Farm!

Click for weather forecast
kevinH
Master Gardener

zone 4a

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

all of the seeds at walmart here in wisconsin are burpee  seeds so we dont use them. We get all our seeds from baker creek.

Wisconsin Rapids , WI zone 4a
"IF YOU CANT EAT IT WHY WOULD YOU PUT IT ON YOUR FOOD"
borderbubba
A Gardener

Taco and Andros

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »

My only recommendation on buying seed from Wal-Mart (or Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) is to make sure the variety can grow well in the region you live in.  For example if you live in Zone 10 the chain may have something on the shelf that is most productive in Zone 6. 

Have a good evening.

Brownsville, Texas
Zone 10
Paul5388
Top Gun

Long Branch, Rusk Co. Texas

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »

Sometimes those seed racks are gold mines!  I had looked everywhere last year for Cascabella peppers and turned up empty handed.  As I was looking over the seed rack at Lowes, there they were, in Ferry-Morse packages!  The Cascabella is a yellow pepper that is usually seen pickled.

They aren't quite as hot as a jalapeno and have a different taste that I enjoy.  I just wasn't wanting to be dependent on commercial products for something I could easily do myself.

That same trip yielded Abe Lincoln and Mortgage Lifter tomatoes, which are growing profusely in the greenhouse right now. Smiley

52 acres Rusk Co., TX (Zone 8b),
IH 444,
IH/Case 254,
2 Satoh Beavers w/FEL one w/backhoe,
72" Grasshopper 928D,
52" Bush Hog tiller,
6' Woods Disc,
5' Woods mower,
Troybilt Horse,
Mule 4WD,
Yamaha Wolverine,
'84 Chev 3/4 ton 6.2 liter
Gardnman
A Gardener

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »

For years I've purchased Burpee seeds and haven't had any issues...  They all germinated as expected.  See me 'Gardnman' avitar..?  Beets...  Burpee!

“When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden.”
1tongarden
Top Gun

My little baby's

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »

Kingtiger,  ive growin some walmart seed and it grew good, even there garlic ,potata's andstuff.  and yes they do take   ebt cards for seed.

Minnesota  "Land of 10,000 Lakes"   Zone  3/4   1- Hoe   1 - 18"  Poulan pro  reartine tiller  1- Small 12" tiller (for weeds) and 1 hoe  total garden rasberry's and pumpkin patch is about 50x80 or so.
Mey
Master Gardener

Garden Garden Grow!

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »

I buy walmart hd and lowes. I also go to the mags for stuff I can't find local. I go to my local feed store for the stuff I definatly want production from and advice.

I do think the onions will be a bust this year as I need long day and I am pretty sure these things are short day.

my mary washington asparagus came from wm and is doing great, even after I thought I killed it.

and EBT cards for seed is COOL!

About one good acre of land, a half an acre of swamp!
Annie, Oliver and Sissy the Min Pin Doggies
Dirk the Warlock Dobie
Mayhem the Siamese Cat (Dearest MiMi left us in December 2013.)
Patrick the Pac Man Frog
Bonnie the Mini Rex Bunny
Marceline the Masked Marauder!
Nelson the 25 year young African Tortoise!
Sir Lancelot who is 10! AND 17 hatchlings!
kevinH
Master Gardener

zone 4a

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 01:51:05 PM »

what is a EBT card ?

Wisconsin Rapids , WI zone 4a
"IF YOU CANT EAT IT WHY WOULD YOU PUT IT ON YOUR FOOD"
SherryB
Top Gun

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 06:56:18 PM »

In Florida people who have the "EBT" cards can use them in the "internet cafes".  If you don't have them in your area it's basically the latest way to get around illegal gambling.  They set up in a strip mall and provide "internet" services for people who need to use a computer and while there, you can gamble on-line.  So, if some place lets them use their cards for buying seeds, then that's great.
Eddie Buck

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:23 AM »

I buy some seeds from WM every year.They are either American Seed, Ferry-Morse or Burgess,,and I have had good results with them every year.Thats more than I can say for a couple of mail order seed companies I have purchased seed from.

One here in NC a few years back,I bought watermelon seed from,none germinated.I sent them an email asking why they didn't germ?They said I started them to early, and it was too cold.I said when did 70 degrees prevent WM seed from germ,because I started them in trays in the house.

They said it was still to early,but they would replace them this one time.I told them to forget it,because if they get them out of the same bag the first ones came out of,they ain't gunna come up either,the seed are to old.
Hillbilly
Grasshopper

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »

Never had too much of a problem with Walmart seeds or Lowes seeds, etc.  But, I try to get all my stuff from the local "Apple Acres".  Its pretty much a just a farm produce only store, specializes in what they grow, can, cook, etc, or what they can bring in from the local "Amish" community.

I would stay away from multiple stores of seedling plants and if you have to buy seedlings its a better idea to get them all in one store...IN MY Opinion.
My reasoning is...basically, cause my 'Pap" said so...lol that was the best way to kill off everything in the garden, cause if you buy multiple plants from multiple locations, your odds of bringing in a fungal/bacteria type disease or insects increases due to where the multple stores get their seedlings from...one bad plant will spread like wildfire to the rest of the same species... Thats Paps way and it aint never steered me wrong yet.

Hillbilly

142 acres...mostly good hunting forest.  I mow 3 acres...main garden 125' x 75'...3 smaller plots of 20' x 12'.  Cub Cadet Rear Tine RT-65, TroyBilt Pony, Cub Cadet GTX 2100 mower.
Husker Wagon
Top Gun

now retierd

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:48:51 AM »

Most seed is going to germinate, if it isn't too old.  They should have the date when it was germination tested on the package, so you can see if it's old seed or not.  I was noticing some Ferry-Morse seed I bought lately only has 250 mg of seed in it.  That's 1/4 of a gram and there are 453.6 grams in a pound.  That's 1814.4 packets that can be made from 1 pound of seed.  If seed is $350.00/pound, that's $.19 of seed in each packet.  Roll Eyes

Wink Wink Wink

Husker Wagon  ZONE 5 
one spade. one garden shovel & rake. one compost pile. one Great God of the universe.
one "buzz box" welder, one oscilloscope,
Also "the one best" Gardening forum on the net.
Big B
Top Gun

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »

Husker Wagon, I got some Ferry Morris and I think, as you said, it has the dates and the crop year it's intended for along with a "Sell By Date".

You went to the trouble of doing the math. I thought about it, but didn't. I just remember the first tomato seed packet had 17 seed. The second had 20 seed. I thought these guys are making a killing. Of course I don’t know the process and all the expenses involved in getting it to me the consumer, but I would imagine they are still making a killing.

I do know this, from talking to an old man last spring. He told me that the Tokyo Cross turnip seed went last year for $350 a pound cost, I think he told me. His grandson has a feed and seed store. He tried to get some from him, but they were already gone. The grandson told him, you know Paw Paw those seed cost $350 a pound. I could only buy one pound and one guy bought them all.

The old man tracked him down and knew him. He got a few from him for his little garden. I might go by and see if I can help him harvest some seed this spring when they bolt, if he planted them this year. I passed his house and he had greens still in the garden last week. I wouldn’t know a Tokyo Cross from a Puprle Top, but I’m willing to learn. I could then make me up some little packets and sell them. Grin I'd rather deal with turnip seed than tomato seed. Wink

I wonder what the greens sell for. Anybody got a clue?

Anyway, the seed price made me think of that too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: