The Bayou Gardener
July 25, 2014, 03:17:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remington Black Magic .177 air rifle review w/kill shot pic...  (Read 4497 times)
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« on: January 07, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »

1st, let me say...this isn't a toy! Sound judgment and a parental watchful eye is recommended w/childern. This isn't something to chase off dogs with either...this weapon has the power to penetrate deep and do serious damage!

This air rifle is made by Crosman for Remington. Crosmans example is the Phantom 1000X. Rifle was purchased from Dicks Sporting goods. Came as a "package" deal. Scope and 500 Crosman pellets included in the box. Purchase price was $89 plus tax I believe just before Christmas. It was a gift from da 'lil Lady... Grin

OK, I decided not to mount the scope it came with. I like the adjustable HiViz type open sights that came mounted on the air rifle. I shot a few rounds at a target this mourning on site in. I knew out of the box it was close from one shot experanced on Christmas day, but no idea just how close until today. I was pleasantly suprised to find out, no adjustment was in order! Dead nuts on for me! This is a 1st! And, I don't believe it's advertised pre- "sighted". At this time, I see no need to try any other ammunition than what came in the box...I'm extremely happy with the tight groups...and killing power...

I like the ambidextrous safety, as I do shoot from both sides. I love the two-stage adjustable trigger! Slight take up, and the trigger breaks clean and crisp. I got .22's that don't have as good a trigger...haven't tested the trigger pull, or adjusted it, but I'm guessing 4lb out the box, if that...

Break action for cocking isn't as stiff as I thought it would be for a air rifle advertised "up to 1200FPS"...a child could do it... Grin

Muzzle report is on par with others I've been around, definitely a "pop", though the owners manuel says after 100 shots, it should quiet somewhat...thus retain velocity, but gain in accuracy...

Fit and finish is surprisingly good for any gun of this price range. Though I haven't meausred, I feel like the length of pull is a little long. Probably in the 14"-14 1/8"  range...I'm going to take it down to the 13 3/4-13 7/8" range...this is the LOP I like on .22's...will have to measure , fit, and just see how my finger feels on the trigger from a standing position later...

For a gun purchased on sale at the above mentioned price, I see nothing wrong, and dang sure ain't gonna look a gift horse in da mouth...I'm happy... Grin

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12182532&cp=4406646.4413993.4414427.12115093

Now, time to thin some tree rats...maybe I can get a few more peaches this summer... Grin

tree rat taken @ 35 yds on horizontal plain...clean head shot...pellet exited the skull...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 07:53:48 PM by Cubman » Logged

my '71 Camaro SS and an exact representation of my '71 Monte Carlo...

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
cajun
Grasshopper

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »

I was just thinking of getting something like that for my tree rats. is there any more info you could post on the one you have, 177 or 22 cal.. thanks
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

be glad to tell ya what I can...ask way...   Grin

planning on breaking out the chronograph... Shocked

just because you can tell me the physical properties of your shoe laces doesn't mean you have the common sense to tie them...
PD-Riverman
Top Gun

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »

My neighbor got one a couple months ago and it BAD, kill a turtle at 50 yards, enter and exit them hard shells.

1 to 2 acres of garden(average), 1957 Ford 600 Work Master tractor, 2006 535 Farm Trac Tractor FEL--with pallet fork & scoop, P Machine/Garden Helper, New Idea 1 row corn picker, 5ft CountryLine Tiller, bottom plow, 18 blade disc, bush & bog disc, 3 cultivators, CountryLine sub soiler, box blade, scrape blade and 9ft yard leveling blade, middle buster, 3 pt scoop, 3 pt post hole digger, tobacco drag setter, 2--1 row cole planters, 18" Jonsered garden tiller, 20" Troy-Bilt Horse tiller, gas 1 wheel "mule" plow, Hoss Wheel Hoe, several EarthWay planters, EarthWay fertilizer distributor, 6 chicken "tractors", 32ft portable "meals-on-wheels" rabbitery.
cajun
Grasshopper

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 04:47:06 PM »

cubman, can u tell tell me how much pellet drop there is at 35 yds. if any.
Cubman
Global Moderator
Top Gun

the way I roll...!!

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:14 PM »

I zeroed in at 35yds, or should I say gun was dead on at 35yds, with a 7.4gr pellet....at 50yds I was getting around 1/2"-3/4" drop...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:07:36 PM by Cubman » Logged

cajun
Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »

looks like i'll be getting another toy  Grin  thanks for the info
Pjames
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »

That is better than my Daisy .22 cal pellet gun. I get a little more drop. I can hit a 2 inch target at that range on the level but have trouble doing the same thing into a tree.  Not sure which direction I should compensate. Mine is a single shot so I have to reload, pump etc which takes away from 'slight adjustment/ one variable' idea.

Shreveport, La

small backyard organic gardener using home-made compost and vermi-castings,

Life is like a jar of jalapenos.....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
cropduster1968
Master Gardener

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »

If shooting up hill or down hill hold lower.The greater the angle the lower you need to hold.

zone 9 close to hell but great in the winter ;>)
cornbread
Top Gun

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »

This is a video library of various air guns used in hunting grey fur. Some out to 100 yards.

http://varmintair.typepad.com/varmintairs_blog/hunting-video-library/

crazyhorse
Top Gun

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »

Mr Cornbread, That is some good shooting. Shocked
I must admit, that guy is much better shot than I am. Grin
Thank you for posting this.

JOHN 3:16,17,18

Produce
Conserve
Play square

Eat to live.