The Bayou Gardener
July 29, 2014, 03:42:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: killing weeds over winter  (Read 1321 times)
bigcountry1009
Top Gun

« on: November 06, 2011, 07:23:37 AM »

I got a small herb garden spot boardered and tilled up over the spring. Problem is I didn't get it planted and let it go so weeds and brush took it back. Is there anything I can put in the soil over winter to kill stuff? There is poison ivy, johnson grass, some sort of tall woody weed and some other varios grasses

Clinton, SC
Zone 7a
Husqvarna rear tine tiller and hand tools, plus my wife and babies
Looking to make grocery store trips a memory
JoeIL
Top Gun

The yankee buzzard

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »

My whole garden looks that way. lol    Not sure if spraying with roundup burning/tilling it up is an option for you right now.

Otherwise if/when the ground is clear you could plant  cereal rye as a winter cover and when you till it in the following spring the  rye will help kill a lot of weed seeds in the ground.   Again not sure if thats to late of an option right now.

Pjames
Top Gun

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »

When you said poison ivy, I thought SPRAY with a good brush killer. Don't use the 'extended' Roundup though.. It all depends if the stuff is still actively growing or not.

If not, I'd pull them out and throw them into the garbage. But do not compost or burn them (the poison ivy anyway can be dangerous when burned and johnson grass seems to survive composting unless it gets hot enough.)

I've run johnson and nut grass through my tumbler and then through my worm bins and it did not re-appear.

Shreveport, La

small backyard organic gardener using home-made compost and vermi-castings,

Life is like a jar of jalapenos.....what you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.
robie robinson
Master Gardener

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 05:45:07 AM »

would leaving black plastic over the site for the winter sufficiently kill the stuff?

robie
SETEX_GARDENER
Top Gun

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »

Depends on the temperature for the black plastic.  The black plastic is to help heat up the soil. That works well when temps are high, but in winter it may not kill everything underneath as cool weather may prevent the heat from building high enough. It would get some by preventing light from reaching the soil, but if you have nutgrass, it will just punch through the plastic..... Pull the poison ivy with plenty of skin covered if you are allergic to it. Sometimes you don't even have to physically touch the plant to get the rash. I would do like Pat says and spray with brush killer. I have seen one specifically for poison ivy and brush.

Good luck,
Curtis

The real test of character is what one does when nobody is watching!
Zone 9
Small Raised Bed Garden 45 x 38
Lumberton, Texas
bigboberta
Top Gun

Happy Gardening

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:50:37 AM »

Black plastic will not kill johnson grass, it may kill the surface grass, but the roots will survive.  The only way I know to kill it is to 1.  be diligent and dig the roots all the way down anytime it shows up  or 2. Herbicide such as glyphosphate, and again be diligent and spray it anytime it shows up.

Bob

Greensburg (Easleyville) St. Helena Parish, LA
2 1/2 Acres

Zone 8a or 8b now.
Retired Firefighter

1952 35 HP Gas Allis Chalmer  WD ,    2008 Mahindra 3525 35 HP Diesel, 
2011 Land Master LM 400 Utility Vehicle,  John Deere 42" Riding Lawn Mower, 50" Exmark Zero Turn Mower, Woods RD60 5' Finish Mower.

Stevens Garden Package,  Stevens Deluxe Row Hippers, County Line Middle Buster, 6 1/2' United Tandem Disc Harrow , United Dirt scoop 30", 6' County Line Tiller.

Earthway 1001-b Precision Seeder with 1500 side dress attachment,  Hatfield Planter, Hoss Wheeled Hoe and Planter. Stand n Plant Seeder, Stand n Plant Planter.
1tongarden
Top Gun

My little baby's

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:17:59 AM »

-50 degrees F = WEED KILLER

Minnesota  "Land of 10,000 Lakes"   Zone  3/4   1- Hoe   1 - 18"  Poulan pro  reartine tiller  1- Small 12" tiller (for weeds) and 1 hoe  total garden rasberry's and pumpkin patch is about 50x80 or so.
Moondog
Top Gun

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »

Clear plastic is the ticket. Till it and lay down clear plastic. It will make the soil warm enough to germinate the seeds at the top and then the sun or winter will supply enough heat or cold to kill the tender young plants and any other seeds in the top couple of inches.

In the spring till again and cover back up with the same plastic most of the weeds will be gone by the time herb planting time rolls around after the 1st frost and the ground will be good and solarized. Just don't till real deep for the herbs - they don't need it anyway. You will still have some pulling to do but nothing like you would have had.

Dog

PS. I pull up poison ivy don't just leave the roots tilled up they will sprout again.

0 Days  to retirement - Now what.
Zone 6b Evarts,Ky.

Trying to simplify your life is one of the most important things you can do.
LonghornRancher
Top Gun

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »

I dig up Johnson grass.  I have left black plastic out over winter and everything under it died.  No water for 4 to 6 months kills all kinds of things.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:32:45 AM by LonghornRancher » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: